Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just listening to the following. The bass via DCB1 is verging on scary! Great stuff! Brings the music & passion alive. I’m thinking I just need to keep using it rather than do any mods, it’s shaping up nicely!

https://www.discogs.com/release/333...-Symphony-Orchestra-The-Rite-Of-Spring-Firewo
You will know better on what to tweak (if to tweak) the more you listen while the capacitors run longer and you are finishing with the build details. I saw the curves for the Denton in the link you provided, they are on axis, but I was mostly wondering how it holds for lateral HF spread in the top octave because soft dome on a wide baffle.

You will know better on what to tweak (if to tweak) the more you listen while the capacitors run longer and you are finishing with the build details. I saw the curves for the Denton in the link you provided, they are on axis, but I was mostly wondering how it holds for lateral HF spread in the top octave because soft dome on a wide baffle.

Sorry for the late reply, been enjoying Mez too much! :)

Regarding the Wharfedale Denton 85 measurements (and interestingly, there are two different versions of the review 'out there', one without the following tweak), Noel Keywood did say there was a measured treble spike that could be flattened with the addition of a 1ohm resistor applied to the treble bi-wire terminals instead of the wire link. I did this and it did balance a slight perceived treble peak nicely in my system at the time. However, it didn't play so well with Mez inserted into the system. I removed this 1ohm resistor and the music has regained it's natural balance top to bottom, and treble has its natural sparkle back again.

Really enjoying it, and I imagine further slight improvements will be had by replacing the super cheap test input wiring, and I may decrease the current setting resistors from 7.5ohms to 6.8ohms or even 6.2ohms, as the chassis only gets barely past room temperature as it is.

Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I looked it up and the only other curves I could find are from a YouTuber (Joe N Tell). They look smoother than Keywood's take, more of an HF plateau than a peak

Denton 85 JNTL.png

That’s interesting to see, thanks. Yes looks flatter here. There’s definitely a weakness in the treble unit as it sounds balanced, but occasionally a vocal or violin solo will make you wince as it sounds sharp/piercing momentarily. Probably less of a frequency response issue and more likely a physical resonance that briefly colours things. But overall I still love them, and they’re playing very well subjectively with the TT2 dac, DCB1 Mez and Quad 606 in my bedroom-based nearfield system. Due to illness I don’t have the luxery of my own house, but one day I hope things will look up and I can setup my system in a lounge environment and finally be able to experience what larger / better speakers can do etc.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
For all DCB1 versions i.e. Mezmerize, Hypnotize, on any board issue through the years, you should use 15+15 VAC secondaries four terminal transformer. Wired in series like in your right side sketch. CT is point 2. Points 1,3 are AC. There are also internally pre-arranged three terminal 30V (15-0-15) transformers with just one CT wire exit but the four terminal discrete secondaries type is far more commonly available.