Martello enclosure for FR88EX

Well it looks as if prices are reasonable on these drivers (e.g. Madisound $39.90). I may build another pair.

I thought I'd update this thread with some more data.

First image are the calculations I used for the horn-shaped slot port.

Second image shows the simulated impedance curves for a straight bass-reflex design. Note the two peaks, typical of a BR design the interaction of the driver and box, they are roughly the same height. The simulated resonance peaks are at 50Hz and 140Hz.

Third image shows the measured impedance curves. I used my DIY TGM3 amplifier (solid state) with a resistor in series with the ground wire and a DMM across it to measure the rms voltage and used this to calcite the current and along with the signal amplitude the impedance of the speaker. I used a sine wave generator signal source. The vertical axis is not calibrated in Ohms but it is linear. The measured resonance peaks are at 50Hz and 140Hz, matching the BR simulation. BUT note that the left hand peak is much smaller - a result of the damping provided by the Onken style ports.

Attachments

• IMG_0420Z.jpg
    IMG_0420Z.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 1,025
  • MartelloZcalc.jpg
    MartelloZcalc.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 969
  • MartelloImpedance.jpg
    MartelloImpedance.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 943
I realised now that tomorrow will be a boring day with nothing to do. Why not use some of the scraps of 12mm and 22mm particle board in my garage and build a pair of Martellos? This time I will focus on making them look as good as possible and if they turn out well I'll buy drivers, binding posts and damping material :)
Should be able to build a pair in just a few hours :)

I realised now that tomorrow will be a boring day with nothing to do. Why not use some of the scraps of 12mm and 22mm particle board in my garage and build a pair of Martellos?

over here it's a long weekend, we get Monday off - the country celebrates Queen Victoria's birthday and we do that with horizon-to-horizon blue skies, 30 deg.C and a cold beer or two :)

Good luck with the build - but it's handy having the drivers to hand in order to size the opening / clearance whilst still keeping enough wood for the mounting screws to bite into - it's a bit of a balancing act so be careful with that.

Must be nice not to have an infinite list of honeydos. Make hay while the sun shines. You're time is coming:)

and that's the other balancing act !

Last edited:
over here it's a long weekend, we get Monday off - the country celebrates Queen Victoria's birthday and we do that with horizon-to-horizon blue skies, 30 deg.C and a cold beer or two :)

Good luck with the build - but it's handy having the drivers to hand in order to size the opening / clearance whilst still keeping enough wood for the mounting screws to bite into - it's a bit of a balancing act so be careful with that.

We also had long weekend, but last thursday and friday was "free" for me. Unfortunately I had to help dad clear some huge (yes, huge!) fallen trees at our summer house. About +10c and rain those two days...
I'll be careful when doing the baffles, to make sure I got enough wood for the screws. Wont be easy but with some precision work it should work :)
Was +5c and rain today... Will be warmer tomorrow it seems.

Hmmm, dad took the tools .....

Sounds like he's gotten his revenge.

Nah, he was just doing some carpentry work for a friend during the day. And I thought he had taken the jigsaw too (which I needed) but when he came home he told me he didn't have and it turned out that I didn't look enough for it because it was in the "workshop".
Still haven't found time to buy more glue and wooden plugs. We'll see when I get time.

I decided to build another pair of these !

I took more pictures this time.

1 - Started off with new piece of 12mm Russian Birch plywood. Workbench at garage entrance (out of the rain)

2 - I have no table saw, so the cutting will be with hand-held circular saw with a nice large-tooth high quality blade. First job to measure the blade offset so I know where to place a guide piece when cutting

3 - I clamp a guide piece of scrap wood across the work piece to guide the base-plate of the saw. The clamps hold everything to the workbench.

Attachments

• 1_2ft x 4ft.JPG
    1_2ft x 4ft.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 814
  • 2_measure blade offset.JPG
    2_measure blade offset.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 805
  • 3_clamp workpiece & guide.JPG
    3_clamp workpiece & guide.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 762
4 - then I set the blade depth so that it cuts nicely through the workpiece but no further.

5 - using the guide piece ensures the cut follows the right line which was measured to reduce the 2ft x 4ft starting sheet to a pair of 2ft x 2ft pieces. I need only one of these for a pair of Martello's

6 - next I mark up the 2ft x 2ft piece into three, following the drawing (posted earlier). the wide pieces are measured to a width of 25.5cm from each edge of the workpiece, leaving a centre strip that will be cut further.

Attachments

• 6_2ft x 2ft mark out first 2 cuts.JPG
    6_2ft x 2ft mark out first 2 cuts.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 5_make the cut.JPG
    5_make the cut.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 735
  • 4_set blade depth.JPG
    4_set blade depth.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 754
7 - the first two cuts are completed, ready to me marked up

8 - I've placed the two 25.5cm wide pieces side by side so I can cut them both at the same time. using the guide piece I measure and cut the fronts, the backs and the sides of the speakers

9 - then with what is left from the 25.5cm wide pieces I measure up to cut out a top, a btw and two port pieces

Attachments

• 7_complete first two cuts.JPG
    7_complete first two cuts.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 8_mark & cut sides top back.JPG
    8_mark & cut sides top back.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 9_measure for btm & top.JPG
    9_measure for btm & top.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 93
10 - for the smaller pieces I remove the centre plank of the workbench to make clamping easier

11 - the small pieces get measured up

12 - this piece will provide a bottom piece and port piece, the shaded piece between them will be scrap

Attachments

• 12_marked up btm and port.JPG
    12_marked up btm and port.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 11_use set square.JPG
    11_use set square.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 10_clamping for small pieces.JPG
    10_clamping for small pieces.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 107
13 - the small pieces are difficult to clamp with a guide piece, so these will be clamped and cut free-hand

14 - and the scrap piece is of uniform thickness so the free-hand cutting was pretty accurate

15 - next up is the centre piece from the initial 2ft x 2ft work piece. It's marked up for the port triangles, another top and bottom piece, and the braces

Attachments

• 13_clamp for cutting.JPG
    13_clamp for cutting.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 14_waste piece uniform thickness.JPG
    14_waste piece uniform thickness.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 15_mark up port pieces and braces.JPG
    15_mark up port pieces and braces.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 112
16 - and the cutting begins

17 - the 'wasted' triangles from cutting the braces should be kept, they will make good reinforcement pieces that can be glued into inside corners of the boxes before they are closed

18 - the port triangles are hard to clamp for cutting when using a circular saw because the offset of the blade from the edge of the base of the saw is too large to allow room for the clamp. I nailed them to a piece of scrap wood instead.

Attachments

• 18_nail port pieces to junk for cutting.JPG
    18_nail port pieces to junk for cutting.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 17_keep waste triangles.JPG
    17_keep waste triangles.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 16_cutting.JPG
    16_cutting.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 131
19 - the port triangles are now cut

20 - which completes the cutting ! phew !

21 - next step is to mark up the front pieces for routing of the port slot and the driver opening

Attachments

• 19_triangular pieces cut.JPG
    19_triangular pieces cut.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 20_ all pieces now cut.JPG
    20_ all pieces now cut.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 21_mark front pieces for routing.JPG
    21_mark front pieces for routing.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 157
22 - again clamping is not possible as the router needs lots of free space to swing around. So I nailed the front piece to some scrap wood, nailing through where the driver opening will be as this will be material later removed.

23 - a large nail is placed at the centre of the speaker opening to act as a pivot point for the router

24 - conveniently my router has a hole in the base for the nail that positions the cutting piece just the right radius for the driver opening. Otherwise I would have screwed a think piece of material to the base of the router with a hole for the nail at the appropriate distance from the cutting piece. This is a high quality cutting piece.

Attachments

• 22_nail front pieces to junk for routing.JPG
    22_nail front pieces to junk for routing.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 23_use nail as pivot point.JPG
    23_use nail as pivot point.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 24_nail through hole in router base.JPG
    24_nail through hole in router base.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 205