Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Juicie,

You can check out the mMarS at Planet10 website and the DBR by DIY forum member Hairbrained.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...ictures-not-much-text.html?highlight=chr+pics

You will find Hairbrained plan's linked to Voldemar's DBR.

Lot of CHR-70 discussion under current thread - makes for interesting and educational reading.

BTW, I have 2 of my CHR-70s in Planet10 CHR-Ken boxes - maybe too large for desktop, but very good enclosures otherwise.

-Zia

p.s. Did you build a sub with EL166 / MA Woof #6?

Last edited:
p.s. Did you build a sub with EL166 / MA Woof #6?

Yes that was me. Not the best Sub but does his job well for a small bedroom.

Attachments

• tn_DSC_7000.JPG
    tn_DSC_7000.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,054
  • tn_DSC_0388.JPG
    tn_DSC_0388.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,034
I am thinking a couple of those for a medium sized rooms. What's the frequency response like? Why do you say not the best sub - can't go deep enough or play loud enough? :D

How's your CHR build going on?

Not very deep and not very loud. But good for music and matches well with the not very efficient full range stereo speakers.

My BB4.AL (Black CHR70) is going on well.

Attachments

• tn_DSC_6786.JPG
    tn_DSC_6786.JPG
    723.7 KB · Views: 974
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Wow, love the look of those bamboo baffles from here ... I'm pretty new to all of this but I don't think I've seen that used for cabinets before. Seems like they would be very rigid.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...onken-fonken-picture-gallery.html#post2558496

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/club...ver-island-diyfest-2011-a-23.html#post2680947 (2nd picture)

Normal bamboo ply (2nd picture) is very good, stranded bamboo ply (1st URL) is better. Solid bamboo is not as good.

dave

speaking about weather (OT)...and bamboo

killing frost here a few nights ago, great for sugar beets (one of the large cash crops in Chinook country: potatoes and grain being a couple of others).

Bamboo ply is really expensive here (about $250 a sheet). For those that don't know (perhaps even Dave and Chris) there are various grades of the raw bamboo as well. I found this out while researching the construction of a bamboo bicycle frame. Some of the quality of the bamboo is based on the length of each section, the straightness of a given length, the species and the variance of diameter from one "cell end" to the next. Even preparing the raw bamboo has a significant effect.

An alternative for small panels is pre-made, pre-finished Bamboo plywood cabinet doors (available at Windsor Plywood and/or Mr. Plywood in Canada). Sizes suitable for smaller enclosures. Various sizes are available, but limited to about 28" tall if I recollect correctly. Expensive per board ft, but can be ordered in custom sizes, with various grain orientations as well. I know I wouldn't trust myself with sheet goods costing $250...

killing frost here a few nights ago, great for sugar beets (one of the large cash crops in Chinook country: potatoes and grain being a couple of others).

while in BC the number one non medicinal cash crop is none of the above

was that a good enough hint?

Bamboo ply is really expensive here (about $250 a sheet). For those that don't know (perhaps even Dave and Chris) there are various grades of the raw bamboo as well. I found this out while researching the construction of a bamboo bicycle frame. Some of the quality of the bamboo is based on the length of each section, the straightness of a given length, the species and the variance of diameter from one "cell end" to the next. Even preparing the raw bamboo has a significant effect.

An alternative for small panels is pre-made, pre-finished Bamboo plywood cabinet doors (available at Windsor Plywood and/or Mr. Plywood in Canada). Sizes suitable for smaller enclosures. Various sizes are available, but limited to about 28" tall if I recollect correctly. Expensive per board ft, but can be ordered in custom sizes, with various grain orientations as well. I know I wouldn't trust myself with sheet goods costing $250...

what exactly does the square foot price translate to? As the local Windsor store here specializes in flooring and not doors, the only quickie price quote I could find on 3/4" flat slab bamboo cabinet doors was $29/ft (USD)

Full sheet of 3/4" ply at $250/32= $7.82/ft^2

at those rates it would only take 9 ft^ 2 to exceed the cost of a full sheet

when working with the more exotic materials, sometimes ya just gotta cowboy up, and oh yes,- measure thrice

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
there are various grades of the raw bamboo as well.

There are 3 variations of plywood, all 3-ply (if we stick to thickness common to speaker builds), all more suited than solid. You can get thicker material in 5 plys.

All have a block core, differention comes in the nature of the outer plys. long thin blocks glued together can be oriented horizontally or vertically (flat or edge grain) or long thin strands (strings) can be glued together in a matrix (stranded or fossilized). Stiffness increases from 1st to last, most bamboo speakers are the middle one, but the stranded is the "best"

Bamboo Plywood - Cali Bamboo plywood and veneer for kitchen countertops, cabinets, furniture, bars

This material is expensive (but prices have halved since our 1st build) because it is made by hand... imagine chinese workers, mostly women, hand placing each block & strip.

I think that, as wages rise, mechanization will be required to keep the prices sensible. I also think that the manufacture of the stranded structure could be automated, and that a plywood made with alternate orientations of the thin stranded layers could be even better. Also, there is no reason why the same tech couldn't be applied to other material that strands nicely (ie like hemp). Much of the tech needed was near fruition in the late 30s before the Nylon lobby orchestrated the illegalization of hemp.

dave

Hemp board...

has perhaps even better properties than bamboo plywood. Just a little tough to get in the U.S., and not that easy here in Canuckland either. Apparently it can be had thogh. And of course there are alway DIY versions available as a by-product to "B.C. Freshe Aire XXVIII" (almost sounds like a Mannheim Steamroller album, don't it?).

Just need a huge press, the proper adhesive, a vacuum bag and perhaps a large autoclave.

has perhaps even better properties than bamboo plywood.
known or supposed?
Just a little tough to get in the U.S., and not that easy here in Canuckland either. Apparently it can be had thogh. And of course there are alway DIY versions available as a by-product to "B.C. Freshe Aire XXVIII" (almost sounds like a Mannheim Steamroller album, don't it?).

you're dating your self buddy - was that anything like gorillaz?

Just need a huge press, the proper adhesive, a vacuum bag and perhaps a large autoclave.

that might be an over simplification

Nice to see others experimenting in plyboo. I was a little scared about machining mine at first, but had no problems at all.
Been tweaking mine quite alot, and will wrap my thread up properly when I recieve my panasonic capsules. With better pics and full costing etc. Sound keeps getting better.
This is another option to use bamboo, which only cost £2 each from my local super market.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hey All,

I have been lurking around here for a little while (first post here) and am really interested in building some of these. I am still wading through the huge thread, but is there a design for a double driver half-tower? Combining the benefits of the dual drivers for BSC in a height that will fit on an entertainment center?

Thanks to everyone for their incredible work and posting here!

Coffee

Quick and dirty way to audition Alpair 7? (cheap cabs)

I searched but could not find mention of this elsewhere (very surprised)...

I need to make a pair of speakers with high resolution and detail, but with restricted bass response. High SPL capability is not at all necessary. Basically, I have downstairs neighbors who hate my music system. So while I'm collecting soundproofing materials, I want to throw together a nice, easy to make speaker system for low level listening. Amp is a push-pull 2A3 affair giving 6 watts per channel.

I was originally thinking of CHR-70.3's, but if I only get two, I think I'll go for the Alpair 7's.

I'm all thumbs when it comes to woodworking. Ask my friends. I'm useless at it. So I want to know if a pair of these cabs from Parts Express can be useful for this.

Dayton Audio TW-0.25MA 0.25 ft³ 2-Way Cabinet Pair Maple 302-706

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sort of a readymade mMarS for Alpair 7. Quoted as having 0.285 cu ft interior volume. That's a little more than the 5.5 liters recommended. That leaves room for interior bracing. I'd line the interior walls with Duct Seal or maybe some kind of rubber backed carpet (suggestions?).

I know they wouldn't be optimal, but the price is right and I'll actually get them made if the cabinets are prepared already. It'll be hard enough for me to get the correct mounting holes with bevels put into the baffle boards.

Opinions?

Thanks...

--

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Attachments

• A7g3-sealed.gif
    A7g3-sealed.gif
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,300
Thanks Dave!

That was a pretty unequivocal push to the curved cab. OK, the curved cab it is.

In that same cab, how much lower can the F3 be with a vent? I might be tempted to stick with the sealed version as it's so hard to screw that up, but if a vented version goes way lower, then maybe that's what to do...

PS - I never thought a weenie little 2A3 amp driving a pair of Snell J/III's would make the neighbors complain! The bass rattles their walls, they say.

PPS - I have to make a headphone amp too.

PPPS - Is there any reason to choose the CHR-70 over the Alpair 7? Or is the Alpair 7 just better in every way?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.