Marantz PM-68 Keeps Frying Output Transistors on Right Channel

Your welcome :) I'll just add this to show you how the current can alter with a seemingly miniscule change in applied base voltage. So we can't use vbe as a means of adjusting anything and yet it remains one of the most useful measurements in fault finding.

If we increase the base voltage by just 0.01 volts we see an increase of 35% in the current in the 0.18 ohm resistor.

View attachment 1218844

That is impossible to answer because it depends what the actual device is.

If the devices are fake they can still fail under load. They may have an inadequate voltage rating and/or a low current rating. Its an unknown.

Genuine parts are always good. 99% of all failures only involve the outputs and drivers, in other words everything to the right of the bias generator.
Wow 😯 just a slight increase by so little voltage and the result is 35% more current?

I assume that when the vbe value is close to "turning on" the transistor and after this is what i should expect right? Minor changes in voltages great current increases. Wow

Amazing information. Thank you very much!!

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks, to me they don't look fake. The die is not too small and the marking is the same as in the datasheet.
But let's wait for others with more experience.

Hugo

Attachments

• toshiba america electronic components inc_2sc5198_en_datasheet_101102.pdf
    149.7 KB · Views: 33
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I assume that when the vbe value is close to "turning on" the transistor and after this is what i should expect right? Minor changes in voltages great current increases. Wow
Yes, it is not linear at all. Also remember that ultimately transistors like these are all 'current driven' and not voltage driven. The base/emitter voltage is something that occurs as you pass current through the b/e junction. The voltage will also level out at around (I know that's imprecise) at somewhere around 0.7 to 0.8 volts as you push more and more current through the junction.

Here is your Marantz as a working simulation. DC conditions (for the sim) as shown with bias set to 40ma and offset close to zero. Haven't tried it yet with a signal....

I'll post the file later and if you are interested enough to install LTspice you can click and run it and play around altering things.

Marantz DC Conditions.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm no expert on that I'm afraid and its very very difficult to say conclusively if something is fake or not. Like you I would say the die size looks reasonable and the general fit and finish of the package looks fine but beyond that...

• Thank You
Last edited:
Yes, it is not linear at all. Also remember that ultimately transistors like these are all 'current driven' and not voltage driven. The base/emitter voltage is something that occurs as you pass current through the b/e junction. The voltage will also level out at around (I know that's imprecise) at somewhere around 0.7 to 0.8 volts as you push more and more current through the junction.

Here is your Marantz as a working simulation. DC conditions (for the sim) as shown with bias set to 40ma and offset close to zero. Haven't tried it yet with a signal....

I'll post the file later and if you are interested enough to install LTspice you can click and run it and play around altering things.

View attachment 1219073
I haven't used this software before but it is amaziywgat you just did. I can run simulations and see what happens! Simply amazing thank you very much!!!

2SC5200-A1943 are available here.https://www.tme.eu/gr/details/2sc5200/tranzistor-nrn-tet/toshiba/2sc5200-o-q/
PS just now i see that is to3pl case style
If you have another new one piece from soundservice supplier, try this using a test gear.
Eliot have a test gear for power transistors but Mooly can suggest you too .
https://sound-au.com/transistor-matching.htm
Thank you for your information I really appreciate it. I see that those are the type o of "O" did you say i need the type "n" thta confuses me a little.

Also in the second link it states that i need to build a tester am i right? To match the transistors?

I'm not planning to buy a lot of them so that i gain match them. I will buy probably 5 of each so that i have 10 in total and measure gain (hfe). That's it for now.

Also I will do the test mooly suggested and see if i can get it to bias while on the dim bulb.

At this point and with the money and time i've spent on this project, this turned into a learning experiment.

Inhave already leraned a lot by troubleshooting this issue that i did not know before and i love it, even though iam unsuccessful.

So i will get it to bias with the transistors that are on now. See how long it takes to fry them again.

Remove everything and rebuild it with new ORIGINAL semiconductors and have a working amplifier.

The board has taken a beating with all the "magic" smoke and soldering and desoldering of components. But what the hell... at least i got to learn a few things about audio amps.. Not a bad deal after all...

I want to sincerely thank everyone for sharing your knowledge and your time.

I will return with results from "Mooly's Experiment" 😁😁😁 about the bias situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I haven’t gone through the sim, lots of 2n5550/5400 even as drivers
Pretty much anything will work in practice ;) the 5550 and 5401 are great default and they never blow up (in a sim) even at several kW dissipation.

@alexpriftis85

You mentioned crossover distortion earlier. Here is the amp with zero bias at 1kHz and then 10kHz. The distortion is just visible in the first image but obvious at the higher frequency.

Screenshot 2023-10-01 194435.png

Screenshot 2023-10-01 194541.png

You need TO264 case style.
No,i don't suggest you the test gear to match but to see if transistor under test will survive.
Do you have a functional chanel now?
Both are functional at the moment. With zero bias:

On the left channel:

I replaced only the output transistors , the 4x 10ohm rsistors at their bases and the emitter 0.18ohm resistors , and checked all the way back to the differential amplifiers, everything checks out fine and are original parts.

On the right channel:

All transistors and most resistors apart from the differential amplifiers have been replaced with new ones including the 2sc2240 after the outputs.

Looks like enough room for a to-264, you can measure and confirm. Distance between mounting screw and top of the pcb
How about a pic of the other side too
Here it is at it's current state:
20230930_113031.jpg