Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

now I'm even more puzzled

Looked at the schematic in the Flea, I'm afraid I now little about electronics, I have a book but just haven't got around to reading it, I know a voltage regulator needs a input voltage greater than output voltage and the diodes are there to turn the AC to DC by only letting the current flow one way. As AC is changing direction at 50 times a second, logic tells me that the current supplied to the regulator will flow alternately 50 times a second through D1 and D2 and never at the same time so even though they are in parallel the voltage will remain at 15 volts.

That is what logic tells me, I have an obvious lack of understanding on the subject, I assume then that the voltage supplied to the regulator is therefore 30 volts.

Thanks for that dwjames, it begins to make a bit more sense now, I have been reading posts in this thread regarding voltages supplied, and have thought I had read an earlier post that their TX was a lower voltage.
I have just completed going through Rays PDFs for mods on the CD63II and CD63II KI, I have made my list of parts for ordering, but in the 63 KI pdf the Epocos part at U196 521-2870 and the parts for C513 and C119 969-5532 are no longer on Farnell site.
Also when he next comes online, are those ceramic beads 242-500 really that much more suitable than the ones that only cost 2-5p each , also what capacitors does he recommend instead of Black gates.

That's unfortunate, anything I can do to help?

Thanks Ray, I'll get back to you. I'm trying to get my player in a state where it's easier to work on.

What's the best way to ground my 5v regs? They were each grounded to the negative pin of each local decoupling cap, but I don't like all the wires under the board. Should I ground to top screen or wire to star?

The question is now though, how has he modified it to get 18volts, as it is a 12 volt supply.

Here's what you need to build the same 18V psu Ray has advised :
Conrad part number :
1x psu : 190835-62
4x diodes : 155460-62
1x 18V reg : 179256-62
1x cap : 421975-62

you just need to swap the original parts (diodes, reg and cap) with those one, and you're done.

Just been looking at CD transports for CD63/67, and on one site it mentions that before installation you must "remove protection points",
Is there something that should be removed on the laser assembly before trying to use?

Yes, small metal clip on the end of cable on the left.

Attachments

• laser.jpg
    laser.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 389
Hi sorry first post so forgive me.
I picked up a CD63 K1 signature today. It has one annoying thing. When I press the eject button it seems to suffer from switch bounce and the drawer comes out and immediately goes back in sometimes. I have no remote. I'm guessing this would have an eject button and I would be able to use this if I had one.
Anybody come across this?
Thank you.