LX-mini Crossover Article

Finished my build and am enjoying them as I type. I agree with avdesignguru's comments quoted below. For me, the best feature is the improved bass control. If I had a miniDSP version of the LXmini and didn't want to go analog, a good step would be to try to match the NP crossover in the miniDSP, especially for bass.

1) More headroom, lower overall noise floor. MiniDSP D-to-A outputs are a circuit design weak point.
2) Less woofer over-excursion, reduces woofer distortion
3) Smoother upper mid-hi equalization, reduces phase shift problems introduced by the Linkwitz DSP filter design which actually detracts from any benefit of the more precise EQ
Overall sound is smoother and more listenable, with no loss of detail. No noise, hiss or hum.

I wanted to take a minute and thank Nelson for this project and all the other DIY projects he has shared. I didn't know SL personally, but I followed his work over almost 40 years. I think its great that you and SL worked on this in the later days of his life. I'm sure it meant a lot to him and means a lot to us as well. Thanks for all the lessons, Prof. Pass.

Jac

XLR mono block wiring question

Pardon if dumb question, but purchased second kit recently with intent of wiring to use xlr cabling. What's trivial to you all raises questions for me...been a long time since circuits class, and I got one of those other engineering degrees.

Just use one side of board for + i/o and other for -? Do I invert?

Lastly, would you advise against just running wire from RCA posts to xlr jacks as appropriate, starting from the board wired for the unbalanced i/o?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Using two of the crossover boards for balanced implies having a
balanced source, in which case the + signal goes through one channel
and the - signal goes through the other.

This works if your connections are balanced input and output. It does
not create a balanced/unbalanced conversion.

LX Mini crossover

A question about the FET buffers used in the Lx Mini. Lord Pass (not to be confused with Lord Lucas, father of darkness;) ) has offered 2 different buffer circuits, one a pair of complimentary FETs, the other, incorporated in the first crossover kit, an FET with current source. Which one would be more suitable for driving long shielded interconnect cables and /or RC filters? Or do they perform the same?

Thx!

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Toshiba/Linear Systems complementary parts will deliver more current
and have a lower output impedance than the single-ended Fairchilds at a cost
of 5 to 20 times the price.

Ordinary loads, this is not a big deal. the Fairchild buffers are optimized around
10 Kohm and 1,000 pF.

Looking at the article carefully again, maybe I understand that the working current is about Idss/2. Maybe it should be a little lower. I use NI MULTISIM simulation. When using 2SK170, the resistance is about 27 ohms to 33 ohms. In fact, I will use LSK170, Idss is about 12 mA, need to test 6 mA source resistance to determine, estimated close to 2SK170.

The range I usually work in is about 6-9 mA, and it is preferred to
operate the follower at 80-90% of the Idss. No reason you can't
bias at 12 mA, but I don't see it buying you better performance.
Thank you for your reply! It points the way for my DIY. I misunderstood what you meant before. You instructed matching IDSS at 18-22 mA. In this article, the voltage on 100 ohm resistance is 0.7-1.0 V. It can be inferred that the working current is about 7 mA-10 mA, which is probably IDSS/2. I will also set the working current at 6-9mA. Thank you again for your guidance!

Dear Mr. Pass,

I tweaked the mini LX to have the XO point at 125 Hz with no dip at 2Khz for my OB speaker as below. Do you see any issues with the Freq response curve before I populated it ?

Any other inputs are welcome.
Thanks,
Tom

40520761143_1e0092896b_b.jpg

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
No problem by me, but you understand it's a different crossover.

I would watch the amount of power being fed to the little FR driver by
the lower higher pass frequency.

It's fairly rugged but you could take it out playing as loud as the stock
LXmini was intended to go.

No problem by me, but you understand it's a different crossover.

I would watch the amount of power being fed to the little FR driver by
the lower higher pass frequency.

It's fairly rugged but you could take it out playing as loud as the stock
LXmini was intended to go.

Thank you Mr. Pass. I really appreciate your inputs!

@mrdkai: yes I did many measurements on REW with my OB and been using miniDSP crossover. My OB works best at XO 125hz