LX-mini Crossover Article

The NP analog design sounds much better to me as follows:
1) More headroom, lower overall noise floor. MiniDSP D-to-A outputs are a circuit design weak point.
2) Less woofer over-excursion, reduces woofer distortion
3) Smoother upper mid-hi equalization, reduces phase shift problems introduced by the Linkwitz DSP filter design which actually detracts from any benefit of the more precise EQ
Overall sound is smoother and more listenable, with no loss of detail. No noise, hiss or hum.

May I ask which minidsp was in the comparison, an HD version? :)

May I ask which minidsp was in the comparison, an HD version? :)

I have both a standard 2X4 and a 2X4HD. I have done LXmini loudspeaker listening tests between the two and I don't hear much difference in the DSP algorithms or the A-D and D-A converters. Surprising, given that the HD has 2X the processing speed. The HD is better, but it's subtle. I think the biggest advantages to the HD version are the enhanced interface and control features.

MiniDSP is a wonderful design tool that allows quickly changing crossover points, slopes, filter alignment, levels, polarity, etc. Analog implementation of the final filter choices typically sounds better to me, even if those implementations are not always quite as "precise" as what is theoretically provided by the DSP device.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have both a standard 2X4 and a 2X4HD. I have done LXmini loudspeaker listening tests between the two and I don't hear much difference in the DSP algorithms or the A-D and D-A converters. Surprising, given that the HD has 2X the processing speed. The HD is better, but it's subtle. I think the biggest advantages to the HD version are the enhanced interface and control features.

SL and I spent time comparing the 2X4 and HD and found that there was a substantial improvement, removing much of the issues of the original. I attributed it largely to the removal of the extra D/A and A/D conversion involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
These pcbs are a different product, balanced and 3-way.
(DIYaudio boards are unbalanced 2-way).

What is in the box? balanced stereo pcb for 3way , JFETs, 3mm full aluminum case in slim 19" format
or:
fully assembled stereo pcb, balanced , 3-way 3mm full aluminum case in slim 19" format.
These run on +/-15V rails. OK?

Best
Frank

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Actually, those boards are set up for the 2 way original version, the
LXmini +2 with a pair of subwoofers, and the LXmini Studio with 4 subs.

Going between the three is just a matter of plugging into the right output
connectors and one external adjustment of bass level.

SL and I spent time comparing the 2X4 and HD and found that there was a substantial improvement, removing much of the issues of the original. I attributed it largely to the removal of the extra D/A and A/D conversion involved.
Agreed:- I found the same:- that the 2x4HD and the 4x10HD, no matter what or how I set it up, they/it 'sits' on the sound. All the info is there but with something missing compared to straight analog or rather the LXmini. I have since sold the 4x10HD but find the 2x4HD to be a superb 'tool' .