• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

LT4320 based active rectifier

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have done center tap with a conventional 4 diode bridge to make a +/-35v psu for a Class AB amp using a 250VA toroidal trafo. I tied the two out of phase leads of the secondaries together to form a “center tap” trafo.

You need to ensure your MOSFETs are rated for the full DC voltage formed by the two windings in series is.

Since the active bridge (in its own “black box” boundary condition) operates like a four diode bridge. I think it should work but be careful to observe max ratings.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The LT4320 can be used with center tapped secondaries if they are in phase. This can be done by connecting the secondaries dot-to-dot (3-to-5 in diagram below) of a dual secondary trafo. But not a regular center tapped trafo.

This was answered by Dremeier in the other Lt4320 thread:
Ideal bridge rectifier GB

WU2V1.png

I’ll try it and not expecting any magic smoke either.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Well not quite - the secondaries are indeed tied together at a common point (not independent parallel secondaries) now called 0v GND. Note that we just reduced need to use two Lt4320 to get dual rail. The old way would have used an independent Lt4320 per secondary. This is great for getting dual rail for half the cost. I actually don’t have any true center taps but lots of dual secondaries and a desire to use on one LT4320.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Here is test with dual secondaries from an Antek 18v trafo. Output secondaries are connected blue-blue or green-green as the common tied to 0v and GND. The other two ends are connected to the AC input of the bridge. Note that there needs to be some sort of load or it generates no DC voltage. I connected a CRC (actually the R is an R L parallel) which has bleeder resistors as load and four 9600uF caps (2 per rail). This is one of my orginal PSU's for smaller 50w Class AB amps. It has an on-board 4 diode full wave bridge using four 2A10 diodes. I bypassed the diodes and fed the LT4320 bridge DC outputs to the PSU rails.

It works fine - nice +/- 24.7v output and no fireworks at switch on.

attachment.php

Closeup showing the green-to-green as 0v common:
attachment.php

Important points:
1. The secondaries must be connected dot-to-dot or nodot-to-nodot as the common that is referenced to 0v or GND.
2. There must be a nominal load for it to show voltage.
3. We need to remember that the LT4320 is a maximum 72v device so +/-35v rails are the most you can get using this technique.

Attachments

• LT4320-Bridge-Dual-Secondaries-Test-02.jpg
    LT4320-Bridge-Dual-Secondaries-Test-02.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 799
  • LT4320-Bridge-Dual-Secondaries-Test-01.jpg
    LT4320-Bridge-Dual-Secondaries-Test-01.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 529
Last edited: