Low noise Balanced MC Pre

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The next slide is the noise performance. With 47k bias resistors, Q1 and Q2 run at c. 4.5mA which is a practical figure. If you are able to deal with 9-10mA collector currents, the input referred noise will drop to about 380pV/rt Hz (this is what is shown below). As mentioned in an earlier post, this is not as good as the X-Altra, but then with that pre, you don't have the benefit of a balanced input. That measured 232pV/rt Hz on one of the builds, and if the collector current in that design is upped from c. 3.5mA to say 7 or 8 mA, you can get the noise down to 200pV/rt Hz or a shade under.

Attachments

• Slide4.JPG
    Slide4.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here's a quick look at the CM performance. As mentioned earlier, capacitively coupled noise is unlikely to be a major issue in MC setups because of the low impedances involved and the low bandwidths (< 100kHz) - the main issue is mag field coupling. The involved inductances are probably of the order of 3-5uH excl. the cart inductance. I used a simple model to couple CM noise across the cart and then stepped the cart resistance from 1 Ohm to 11 Ohm in 2 Ohm increments. As expected, the CM at HF is not outstanding, but at LF it offers significant suppression of unwanted noise.

Attachments

• Slide5.JPG
    Slide5.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 248
  • Slide6.JPG
    Slide6.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Finally, here is the response with the cart resistance stepped from 1-11 Ohms.

The distortion for 500uV input and 12mV pk output was < 20ppm (20 kHz figure).

For those that want to play further with the circuit, the .asc file is attached below.

:)

Attachments

• Slide7.JPG
    Slide7.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 199
  • Bal Input MC 2_V2_DC_thru_Coil.asc
    8.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Bonsai,

I get a 450mA pulse through the Cart at switch on when using a 1R Cart, resp. a 20mA pulse for a 10R Cart.
Pulse is very short, but wouldn't it be better when this could be eliminated?
I tried inserting a coil in the uH range for the Cart, but thus didn't affect the pulse.

Hans

Attachments

• Bonsai.jpg
    Bonsai.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 174
Yes, this was with the 1K resistor and everything else in place.
And yes it is a very short pulse, and the simulation is probably not very accurate, but nevertheless, it was just a warning with a first try without going in much detail.
But when connecting an expensive Cart, one want to be 100% sure that it is safe.

Hans

If my math is right, on a 10 Ohm cart that’s 2 W peak for 1 ns or an average power of 2 nano watt / seconds
power is in watts, whether averaged or not. watts/seconds is a rate of change of power, which here would be 2/1e-9 = 2GW/s
I think you were thinking of energy, not rate of change of power, and the units for that are joules ( or watt-seconds ).

Not sure the cartridge does any averaging over a timescale of a second, any damage is likely due to either the peak mechanical force or total dumped thermal energy (the latter is clearly negligible and measured in nanojoules, which I think is what you mean?)

With a simple RC network on the 5Volt, 1R + 100uF the spike at start up is simply to be avoided.
But then follows what is visible in the 20 seconds image below, current going to 3mA and then very slowly diminishing.
This is realistically what happens IMO, and simply too much.

Hans

Attachments

• Bonsai2.jpg
    Bonsai2.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 104
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Indeed Hans, you were correct. The servo was not working correclty as there were problems with my sim. Hopefully our sims will be better aligned.

Here is the circuit I am using with some updates

Attachments

• Slide9.JPG
    Slide9.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Bal Input MC 2_V2_DC_thru_Coil_go 3.asc
    9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The final slide looks at Rcart and the action of the servo on the the collector current of Q1 and Q2. With max delta Vbe of 10mV, the shifts in Ic are around 5mA around the nominal 10mA used in this sim.

The conclusion here is that to maintain the Ic over a reasonable range, the delta Vbe of the devices should be matched to within 2mV (not too dissimilar to other bipolar input MC head amps).

MC Carts with 1 Ohm are then still handed well wrt cart start-up current, but this represents an outer operating envelop in any event, since most carts are 3 ohms and higher.

Attachments

• Slide15.JPG
    Slide15.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 52
Hi Bonsai,

I will give my comments on your recent diagram when you allow me doing so.

One thing I don't like is the noise performance depending on Vbe offset.
It should be possible in all situations to stay close to the theoretical noise performance of 0.31nV/rtHz and 0.37nV/rtHz for resp an Ic of 9.5mA and 5mA, that is with no Cart adding to the noise.
With a 1R Cart this becomes resp. 0.33nV/rtHz and 0.39nV/rtHz.

Hans

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The increase in the noise Hans is because at the extreme situation (+10 mV delta Vbe difference), the collector current is pulled very low by the servo. These plots are shown to demonstrate the operating envelope of the circuit.

In a practical setup, you would select for say a max delta Vbe of 2 mV, then you don’t have this issue - the noise performance is good.

Note the base decoupling capacitors have been purposely made different to increase the cart current at startup. Normally they would both be the same value.

Re cart currents, these quickly drop off above 3 ohms so they are a few hundred uA max for a few seconds.

Feel free to comment - I am not against any discussion - this is why the circuit is up.

Last edited: