Long skinny builders thread

If you want to wire up the XLR input plug to provide a fully balanced signal to the board, then the pic provided will not help you because the ground on the PCB is not wired up.

Refer here (this is one of the sources of info that I used when wiring up my Aleph J):
XLR Wiring Standards, Diagram & Pin-out (3 Pin Audio & 5 Pin DMX)
and my mark-up attached. [Note: If I've made any errors. I'd appreciate the feedback.]

You should wire up your RCA's "cold" to Pin 3 and the "hot" to Pin 2. That way, it will line up with the original J2 plan where you'd insert a jumper pin into the XLR receptacle between Pin 1 and Pin 3 ... unless I'm mistaken.

Attachments

• J2 Board (JeffYoung) Top - signal input markup.pdf
    206.1 KB · Views: 90
Heat Sink Initiative

4U 5-Fin Sketch, with and without flange.

4U5F/400 with Flange :
Est. weight 4.4 kg/pc.
Min order 126 pcs = 63 pairs.
Est. cost max $80 / pair.
Est. ship to UK by air ~ $160.
Est. total $240 / pair.

4U5F/400 without Flange :
Est. weight 4 kg/pc.
Min order 140 pcs = 70 pairs.
Est. cost max $75 / pair.
Est. ship to UK by air ~ $135.
Est. total $210 / pair.

Shipping rate has price break at 10, 20, 30, 50, 70 and 100 kg.

Note: prep, production, machining and anodizing is estimated to take between 8 to 12 weeks.
Thank you Papa and Dennis. :up:

indra1 / JeffYoung, out of interest, where did the plan for a bespoke flanged heatsink end up?

Last edited:
The thick white cable is aircraft grade teflon wrapped two conductor shielded cable.

Wired per recommendation of Rane and others for least noise.

Attachments

• RANE XLR.png
    RANE XLR.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 229
The thick white cable is aircraft grade teflon wrapped two conductor shielded cable.

Wired per recommendation of Rane and others for least noise.

I guess I lost my bet. ;)

If you wire it this way then you need to wire your RCA "cold" separately to GND on the board (and drop the use of a jumper in the XLR socket for RCA mode -- otherwise you'd be shorting your signal ground to chassis ground).

I think it sort of stalled out....

Cheers,
Jeff.

No worries.

At least I haven't missed something crucial.

I've requested a quote from Conrad to supply a pair of 2x200mm deep flanged units. I'm asking them to mill off a flange from the double flange heatsinks.

I've also floated the idea of a taller heatsink at 165 mm rather than 151.5 mm. This would make them an easier fit with a 4U front/back plate that's on offer from HiFi2000.

I guess I lost my bet. ;)

If you wire it this way then you need to wire your RCA "cold" separately to GND on the board (and drop the use of a jumper in the XLR socket for RCA mode -- otherwise you'd be shorting your signal ground to chassis ground).

That is exactly what I could not get my head around.
Screw it, I am wiring mine the wrong way and lighting this thing up.
I have only the outputs and inputs left to wire.
Then the DC off set, do not know the protocol.
One board connected at a time?

No worries.

At least I haven't missed something crucial.

I've requested a quote from Conrad to supply a pair of 2x200mm deep flanged units. I'm asking them to mill off a flange from the double flange heatsinks.

I've also floated the idea of a taller heatsink at 165 mm rather than 151.5 mm. This would make them an easier fit with a 4U front/back plate that's on offer from HiFi2000.

Keep us posted on anything you get going with Conrad.

j2

I finally got my amp to a point of applying power to it.
Kind of of a fingers crossed point of thing.
All good.
Against other peoples advice on firing up both boards at once, I decided to take a bungy jump.
Got to set the DC offset this weekend and am looking forward to listening this amp

Attachments

• all wired.jpg
    all wired.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 334
Finally got to setting the dc off set today.
Anyway, another one singing.
It is in my test system currently and sounds/ preforms good.
I can tell already it is a little more laid back than the F5.
Still articulate though.
Thanks Jeff for providing the info for doing this and all else who have helped me when I had a question.

Thank you all.
Greg

Reactions: 1 user