Long skinny builders thread

@ Jeff and Dennis, Thanks guys it's a bit puerile, but so am I. :)

@ Flamethrower, good on you buddy, keep us in the loop on the build and what you think when done. Jeff, is the go to guy for help, and I have made most of the mistakes, so if I can help I'll be glad too. You might want to go up from 18v to 20v on the tranny if you use the Antek, others have got proper rail voltage with the 18v, but I was a full volt short. Also, if you want to hear one before you build, I'm just over the state line in Il. If you aren't to far up in WI, you are welcome to come have a listen. Hell, bring your chain if ya want and you can get a feel for how it will sound.

@Dewdrop, If you tried to bolt on one angle to two separate sinks (as in the diystore sinks) this will cause issues because they are very hard to get truly flush as they are part of the support structure for the entire chassis. This is fairly easy to overcome, if you search my posts you can see how I did that. I'd also be willing to help you mill it properly for UMC of the diy case. If you can't find the case you are looking for, let me know if you want help. Mine is fine and in fact gets as good if not better, thermal transfer, than the clone case.

@twitchie, yup, sure did... and if Papa did it, you it works fine.

@ Jeff and Dennis, Thanks guys it's a bit puerile, but so am I. :)

@ Flamethrower, good on you buddy, keep us in the loop on the build and what you think when done. Jeff, is the go to guy for help, and I have made most of the mistakes, so if I can help I'll be glad too. You might want to go up from 18v to 20v on the tranny if you use the Antek, others have got proper rail voltage with the 18v, but I was a full volt short. Also, if you want to hear one before you build, I'm just over the state line in Il. If you aren't to far up in WI, you are welcome to come have a listen. Hell, bring your chain if ya want and you can get a feel for how it will sound.

@Dewdrop, If you tried to bolt on one angle to two separate sinks (as in the diystore sinks) this will cause issues because they are very hard to get truly flush as they are part of the support structure for the entire chassis. This is fairly easy to overcome, if you search my posts you can see how I did that. I'd also be willing to help you mill it properly for UMC of the diy case. If you can't find the case you are looking for, let me know if you want help. Mine is fine and in fact gets as good if not better, thermal transfer, than the clone case.

@twitchie, yup, sure did... and if Papa did it, you it works fine.
@thompsontechs, offer much appreciated! Alas I am based in Singapore, but I will seek your advice to get it done here if I am up for it

My Second J2 Clone build

This was buillt for a friend.

Not much different than my first build, except it does have dual mono power supplies.

4-400 chassis
1/4 inch (6mm) angle iron mounting plates for boards to heatsinks.
Schottky diodes
1% wirewound resistors in power supplies.
1% PRP and 30W power resistors.

Overall, similar sound to my last build, maybe just a slightly blacker background.

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_9798.jpg
    IMG_9798.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_9800.jpg
    IMG_9800.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_9802.jpg
    IMG_9802.jpg
    782.7 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_9803.jpg
    IMG_9803.jpg
    997.5 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_9804.jpg
    IMG_9804.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_9809.jpg
    IMG_9809.jpg
    985 KB · Views: 165
j2

Nice build Matt and an inspiration.
I have attached a pic of my build that my dog got a hold of.
It was sent to me while at work, a little shock as there are some Semisouths and other not readily components in that pile that are hard to source and expensive.
Anyway. all parts were good and had a little talk with the dog.
He said he wouldn't do it again.
Wouldn't tell me how he got the from the top of a 4 foot shelf though.

Attachments

• holly suckerballs.jpg
    holly suckerballs.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 366
Joined 2016
Paid Member
This was buillt for a friend.

Not much different than my first build, except it does have dual mono power supplies.

4-400 chassis
1/4 inch (6mm) angle iron mounting plates for boards to heatsinks.
Schottky diodes
1% wirewound resistors in power supplies.
1% PRP and 30W power resistors.

Overall, similar sound to my last build, maybe just a slightly blacker background.

Matt

Very Nice! 👏🏻