lm 3915 vu meter problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That sounds promising.

Make sure you have the LM3915 wired (initially) to be at its most sensitive. Try it wired like this. The value of the preset can be 10k if that's all you have.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    73.1 KB · Views: 67
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
my vu meter circuit is slightly different. I have resistor from pin 7 connected to pin 8 and pin number 8 goes to variable resistor instead of the ground. isnt that right?

That set up doesn't give the highest sensitivity. Try it like this. I also read something else in the data sheet... which we can worry about that later, and that is that the supply voltage to the LED's should be limited to 7 volts to avoid overheating the IC with to high a loading.

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    129.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    153.6 KB · Views: 67
Oh and i noticed one more thing. When i tried to disable connection between the variable resistor middle leg and the side one all the leds blink!!!!! Scheme seems working but the leds blink very unbrigthly i can barely see them:) and when i connect variable middle leg to side one 6 leds blink but very bright and nice

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
in the second photo. Shouldnt the middle leg of the variable resistor be connected with side one?

It can be wired like that but that is lowering the sensitivity. The data sheet suggests that wiring pin 8 direct to ground gives the highest sensitivity (so all the LED's light up for just 1.25 volts applied to input). Pin 6 and 7 connect together and these go via a resistor to ground. The value of this resistor sets the brightness.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Oh and i noticed one more thing. When i tried to disable connection between the variable resistor middle leg and the side one all the leds blink!!!!! Scheme seems working but the leds blink very unbrigthly i can barely see them:) and when i connect variable middle leg to side one 6 leds blink but very bright and nice

Wire it up as shown in the first picture and with pins 6 and 7 joined.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
i dont quite understand those connections in the first photo. 8 is connected to the ground? and 7 connects one side variable resistor?

Yes, pin 8 to ground. Don't go to low in value with the variable resistor, particularly if there is no series resistor added. Otherwise you might overload the chip. Just make it 5k as a safe value. Doesn't matter if the LED's are dim... get kit working first.

i think i wired it up. I can see that without additional resistor to pin 7 leds blink alot less brighter and still 6-7 leds ;/

You need the voltmeter to be able to test it properly. Look at post #17.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/267760-lm-3915-vu-meter-problem.html#post4181515

I showed how to rig a variable input voltage to the chip input. With the voltmeter you can measure and confirm the LED's light and at what voltage each lights.

maybe should i do everything without opamp? because i have built opamp and vu meter on the same breadbouard and should i try connecting my vumeter with opamp or run just a single vu meter?

Absolutely :) If its not working as expected then break the circuit down into blocks and test each one. That means starting with the LED driver and the variable input as mentioned above. Confirm the basic operation of the chip and LED's, then move on to other parts of the circuit.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Make it look like this. You can keep the 1.2k because that prevents the total resistance going below that, even with the pot on minimum resistance.

The pot at the right should enable all the LED's to light as you turn it. When you get your meter you can then check how much voltage is needed to light them all as you turn the pot by measuring the input voltage to the chip.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    92.8 KB · Views: 59
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.