lm 3915 vu meter problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks, what does this bit mean exactly.

"I use 9V power source
3,5V , 0,02A 10leds"

The way I see it you're not getting enough current to drive all the leds? I would suggest the LED supply should be capable of at least 200mA (or 10x LED current) and more if the bargraph chip and preceeding opamp circuit are using same supply....

Last edited:
I didn't see any answer to #56 - the use of a dropper resistor in series with the LEDs supply is dubious but the '3915 data sheet does recommend a 7.5ohm in series with the LEDs and 2.2 uF Tantalum (could also be electrolytic) from junction of LEDs/series resistorto pin 2 (0V). personally, if i found I had dissipation problem, I'd use a 78M05 (5V, 500mA regulator) for the LED supplies.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-28 at 3.14.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-28 at 3.14.57 AM.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 75
can you upload pic's of what you have wired up?
get a multimeter yet?
sorry don't know what your question is about the resistors is (did you mean - "variable" as in a "potentiometer" ?) cuz nobody says they have to be expensive?!!
are you still unclear as to how this circuit works ?

and what are you using to power this circuit ?

Last edited:
well if you look at some of the diagrams the supply voltage for the LM3915 is listed as: 12 to 20 Vdc your already 3 volts below minimum and if you've run this on the same battery for a while... i hope you have "fresh" spare's available.

anybody want to spearhead doing some crowdfunding so we can get lukutis a multimeter

if you have a 1k from seven to eight but neither are referenced to ground i'd be at a loss to explain how your getting any display...

resistor 7 connects to 8 and 8 pin connects to negative.. so i guess that okay then? Yes i saw in some circuits that people use 12Vdc but man.... i dont have any idea how do i run a circuit with 12V . I saw some videos where people build their transformer for 12V but that seems like a hard task for me:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.