Live sound specific Tapped Horn thread...

Mike
you know of anyone using the EP2500 ?
Seems a few on your side of the pond use them. But then again your side might not get the exact same thing we get. Not sure of Eu trade/import restrictions on such.

It will be at least a month
before I can get a hold of an EP4000. The do have different output specs but the difference between the Crown XLS 402,602, and 802 is ridiculous. Least for the difference in the pricing. I believe there is a write up on ProSoundWeb about modding one to be an 802. I haven't seen the 5K version to comment.
There is also the new EPX series.
Different chassis with about the same output ratings of the 1500/2500.

FlipC said:
Mike
you know of anyone using the EP2500 ?
Seems a few on your side of the pond use them. But then again your side might not get the exact same thing we get. Not sure of Eu trade/import restrictions on such.
Well, I'm not sure what differences there are, but it may just be a different trafo so we don't get any fireworks when plugging it up to 230v! ;)

I've never used one myself, most of my amps are either ones I bought broken and fixed, a fair few people have EP2500's over at speakerplans tho, and they say they work well, they're very very similar to a QSC RMX 2450:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Middle = RMX
Bottom = EP

:clown:

As Mike suggests, there is doubt as to whether berry have changed any more than the numbers on the spec sheet and front panel.

Seems no-one on SP has yet got their hands on one, but suspicions were raised by the fact the listed weight is the same, which suggests same trafo, same output capability.

Hey Flip C are you going to show what your internal layout of your TH-Mini Clone is or are you keeping that secret.

Am I close or am I missing 1 bend??

THMINI_CLONE.jpg

Could somebody ackbak this, pleeese?

I'm building the last two boxes sloooowwwlly and taking pictures and new measurements so I can finally post the thing.
I'll fix the site later tonight.

I tried to approximate the cab in hornresp and it looked terrible.
Not even close.
Could someone toss these numbers in ackbak as it's broken into 5 segments and post the expected response. This is what I measured off the working cabinets based on the original templates.

seg 1 0sqcm-506sqcm length 21cm
seg 2 506sqcm- 692sqcm length 10cm
seg 3 692sqcm-989sqcm length 54cm approx down center
seg 4 989sqcm-2292sqcm length approx 68cm down the center
seg 5 2292sqcm-2451sqcm length 21cm
driver entry between s1/s2 throat is 435sqcm
It should be putting out about 102db from 45-120.

The original non-glued one put out 102-103 from 40hz to 122hz.
Thanks.

We had a good dj in last week. 4 of these is quite sufficient for dj use... that's an understatement :). I'm going for 6 for the extra transients in live sound.

Post #491

Hi screamerusa,

I'm looking forward to your measurements, when I plug your numbers from Post #491 into Hornresp I don't get anything close either. Could it be that your seg 3 length is really 154cm (v.54), and seg 4 86cm (v. 68)? :) That would still be a relatively short tapped horn. Naturally, Hornresp doesn't allow 0sqcm, so we would have to set that to 1, and S2 is the point where Hornresp has the driver, so it would have to be 435sqcm???

Anyway, if-in good fun-we would make those little changes we would get:

Regards,

Attachments

• 2009_may06_post_491_screamerusa_mod.jpg
    2009_may06_post_491_screamerusa_mod.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 584
I think the s3/4 length may be a little off. The response of the actual cab vs anything in hornresp is way off. Probably because I have unintentionaly done something right like maybe mixing a couple of different horn types in the flare. I wish I knew what the heck I did, remember I built this totally on the fly using instincts and feel after god knows how many computer assisted tries.

Acoustic Elegance AV12H-4:

FS: 24Hz
Qms: 4.5
Vas: 69L
Cms: .22mm/N
Mms: 198g
Rms: 6.77
Xmax: 23mm
Xmech: 32mm
Sd: 471sqcm
Vd p-p: 2.16L
Qes: .26
Re: 2.7ohm
Le: .28mH
Z: 4ohm
Bl: 17.6Tm
Pe: 1000W
Qts: .25
1WSPL: 87.7db
2.83V: 92.4dB

Output at Xmax:

Attachments

• output.jpg
    output.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 546
Now can someone please tell me what the deal is with inductors? This box needs a roughly 5mH inductor in series.

What are the downsides to using a design with added inductance? Reduced power handling?

Would the 500WRMS Erse Inductors at Parts Express be alright for the 600W amp I plan to use?

Ta :) :smash:

Re: Could somebody ackbak this, pleeese?

screamersusa said:

seg 2 506sqcm- 692sqcm length 10cm
seg 3 692sqcm-989sqcm length 54cm approx down center
seg 4 989sqcm-2292sqcm length approx 68cm down the center
seg 5 2292sqcm-2451sqcm length 21cm
driver entry between s1/s2 throat is 435sqcm
It should be putting out about 102db from 45-120.

These dims don't 'compute'.

GM

fb said:
Now can someone please tell me what the deal is with inductors?

What are the downsides to using a design with added inductance? Reduced power handling?

Would the 500WRMS Erse Inductors at Parts Express be alright for the 600W amp I plan to use?

Inductors reduce electrical damping and all that implies, so to do away with it you need to tune a BLH or TH far enough below and above Fs to get sufficient acoustical damping.

Depends on whether the amp's rating is RMS or peak. If peak, then its only a ~424 W RMS rating, making the Erse big enough.

GM

GM said:

Inductors reduce electrical damping and all that implies, so to do away with it you need to tune a BLH or TH far enough below and above Fs to get sufficient acoustical damping.

Depends on whether the amp's rating is RMS or peak. If peak, then its only a ~424 W RMS rating, making the Erse big enough.

GM

Is one likely to notice the back-EMF/damping issue in this case? I'm not sure how to simulate it - it's not the impedance graph in Hornresp is it? The article suggests that the issue varies between drivers and crossover implementations.

from article

with inevitable "smearing" in the time domain
Tapped horns already do this acoustically don't they? I had assumed that audibility of this in the sub frequencies was less important....

Amplifier module is Red Rocks Audio D600 - 600WRMS at 4ohm, 1000W Peak at 2ohm. There are Jantzen Toroidal Inductors rated at 700WRMS, perhaps these would be needed. Expensive though.

Thanks for your assistance.

Time smear.

Hi fb,

I largely agree with your Post #499. The redistribution of energy over a wider time spread may well be the key to the sound quality of the tapped horn and the higher output.

As to the inductor(s), how about DIY? For example every inductive ballast, for one of the larger fluorescent bulbs, has quite a large laminated iron core inductor in it. How about strippping one of those, reshaping it and rewinding with a heavy magnet wire to suit? It would be messy as the ballast are usually filled with some kind of asphalt goo, but then again ...

Regards,