Live sound specific Tapped Horn thread...

jbell said:
SEK:

Great comments. I actually agree and have been on a quest lately for a cheap/modular/small system...

For grins I put this comparison together, a pair of my baby 220liter FLH's verses the selenium 18 FLH that I sim'd earlier for xstephanx.

The 55--2421's are pmax limited, and the selenium is xmax limited.

At their limits, things look interesting.... if not just downright similar...

I cloned an autotuba, loaded it with a MCM 55-2421, and powered it with an amp that put out about 800 watts into a 4ohm load. Even though thats waaaaaay past it's power limit, it took it like a champ.

I've also used the same woofer in a tapped horn and a bandpass, and it hit its excursion limits with just 50 watts or so.

Of course FLH enclosures have much lower excursion than BP/TH, so this is expected.

I finally fixed my server to allow me to post pictures from home.
So I put up pics of the TH Mini Clones I built.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The tops are 15" wedges. Good for size reference.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Closer side view. Use 2 4 Pole Speakon connection on rear.
I received a bad batch of the cabinet paint. They took care of it and sent me a replacement. Here's is the 15" cabinets with it. So soon as I have time to sand the subs down they will look like this:

HR Inputs

HR response
THMiniCloneSPLResponse2.gif

The peaks at the 200 range are not there.
Cut at 42 Hz if using a 48db cut. If not 50 Hz.

(anyway to control image size within a post? Besides pic size.)
Screamer - whats up?
You finalize your setup?

Hey FlipC:

Nice work on those cabs, both the tops and the Mini TH clones. What kind of paint did you use? I was thinking about taking mine down (once built, of course.... still in silico stage) to the truck bed liner place and having them spray them up for me. But, maybe I don't need to.

From the looks of the rack:

2 Crown XLS amps, a couple of Rane stereo 31 band EQs, a B*** feedback killer, a B*** DCX2496. How do you like the DCX? I have the DEQ2496 and have been thinking about getting the DCX (and connecting the two via AES/EBU, as my mixer is digital and that also is fed a digital line from the output of the mixer).

FlipC _ TH Mini clone

Hi FlipC,

Thanks for posting the pictures and the input parameters for your TH Mini clone. When looking things over I get the impression, that the L23 entry of 2.00cm may be a bit off, from the picture it looks more like 20.00cm from the mouth to the center of the cone.

Anyway, very well done.

Regards,

Still Alive. WOW you guys been busy!

WOW.. glad to see this thread is still barreling down the road!
Y'all been busy. I gotta catch up, and those th-mini's look awesome... I need some little electric drum boxes for my personal drumkit ... :)

I've finally caught my breath. I have to build two more subs for safety and the first 4 have been in heavy action for two months straight, 5 nights a week. The crowd at the club has finally gotten used to them and really like em. Since they started using a DJ on tuesday nights word is spreading fast on how good the system sounds and how "dancable" the place has become.

I have to pull all my notes together and cad out the cabinet so I can post it. This time.....I will have it posted in a couple of days.
PROMISE. With two demanding jobs and a host of other obligations, time is scarse.

Both the 3015 pair and the 4015 pair have been hit with a Tsunami 1000wpc switchmode amp (3015's), and a Crest CA9 (4015) with ONE cabinet per amp channel. ALL running just below clipping 5 nights a week for 9 weeks without a failure. I did have a pair of Gauss 600w direct radiators to suppliment that were destroyed the second week. Paper and dustcap fragments everywhere. Much to my surprise the 450w drivers in the TH cabs are holding up to the onslaught. I'm guessing the compression helps.

At this point I can say the cabinets work for pro live sound use.
I will post the design but remember this was an artistic not technical attempt. As successfull as it's been, I expect some of you with more knowledge than me can figure out what the heck I did right and fix what I did wrong.
For pro grade live use, I reccomend 6 cabinets, 3 per side off one half amp or 4 centered. Oh yeah, that super bass sound everybody complains sounds better in thier cars than your PA.......
No longer an issue ....
:devilr:

The paint I used was Duratex out of Florida.
The first gallon I got was bad and they replaced it and had no issues with the second one.

Yes
the distance is off. The HR was the original. I made a OSB test cab before the final ones. I changed the angle a few times and also the position within the mouth. I also used less compression as sensitivity went down and I dont have huge amps for them. Both subs run off 1 side of one of the 602's.

Right on the rack.
2 - Crown 602's Berry FBQ6200 Dual 31 band EQ with limiter. So far I haven't had any issues with the Berry equipment EXCEPT I originally had the newer Feedback killer and had to send it back twice. Third time I opted for the older one and haven't had any issues with it. I really like the DCX2496.
It copies the old Peavey back in the mid late 90's.
I thought about the DEQ2496 so I could use it to auto EQ a room.
Ever use your that way?

Screamer - sounds great.
I have put those clones of mine through some grueling Bass for hours. Wish the drivers were cheaper. The good news is that the sub can handle a # of different drivers. I put some Lab 12 Gen 2's in them (going into my new dual 12 TH) and the still sounded great.

Time to eat !

FlipC_TH_Mini

Hi FlipC,

Can you please tell us some more about your experiments with the compression ratio, and the driver positioning in the TH_Mini_clone of yours?:)

I found that in Hornresp increasing the compression ratio will generally increase the SPL, does that not hold true in reality?

Regards,

I brought my website back up. I had killed it when I thought I was out of business but a house gig came up so I'm back.
Some of those old links should come back like the CTH box.
I think a CTH variant with a 12 might be a cool box to do.

The Furybox specs will be posted at this page as I update them:
http://www.screamersusa.com/furybox

For now here's the only computer based drawing I have at the moment. It shows the folding scheme. The missing reflectors are necessary as it seems to split one path into two shorter ones.
Adding the "missing" reflectors cuts the low end response and kills all horn loading at 100hz. With the "bounce" off the front of the shell, 100hz increases 3 db. I'm sure you guys will perfect it.
The driver loads into a roughly 16cm x 29cm slot. The only side taper is in the driver entry section, starting at 29cm and opening to full width at the first fold.

It's a bit like the Apache and they do take a beating and stay clear. In a moment of utter despair, thinking I had made another big mistake, I got to do an ear test against some double 18's.
There is no way in hell I'll go back to the double 18's on my own system. It was worth the six months of hell to make em work.
People are just so used to distortion that you'll have trouble and complaints at first untill you and they get used to them.
114 db on the previous system in the same club (JBL MRX) "sounded" loud. 118 in the same club with this system doesn't, and you can hear everything clearly with distinction anywhere in the room. Easy to push too loud, so use a meter!.

When I dig out my paperwork mountain...:xeye: I'll add the measurements.

My mini follows the OG to a T on outside dimensions.
So 24x22.5x15. Internal is a bit smaller as I believe due to using MDF.

As far as what I originally did
was get some OSB. Build a rough cab of this (though wider as I was using a 15 I had) and made a driver mounting plate to test front to back positioning of driver. Just unscrew lift out. Cut new one. Etc.
As far as the compression goes. I just blocked off portion of the throat from driver like the sim showed. I removed this so driver fires 100% into throat. Went by my ear. I think overall SPL was lowered but sound wise it seemed more sensitive.

I can only wish that the real TH Minis
would come down in price to give those crappy Mackies a run for their money.

Screamer -
funny you mentioned your retest. Last night I hooked up my original Cerwin Vega B36s (note - 4 ohm OG ones not the B36A) Coupled they have a bit more sensitivity but sound is no where near the Mini's. I even took the drivers out to check them to make sure they were A OK. The TH's just sound so clean and effortless.
Like a Hi Fi sound.

Right now I am working on a dual 12"
TH. 400 Lt. About 310 cm path length. I will post these soon. Busy right now getting my garage roof fixed where the storm last week ripped it off.

Screamer - what is the physical size of that club
and was 118 DB a general reading during the night?

118 at the booth, about 40 feet from the stage.
Let it rip for a VH tune the band was doing and brought it back down after the song. The tops had much more to go with only a single CA12 and 2501 biamped into 6 boxes. The TH boxes ran out of amp. Then Again I wasn't out to blow them up either.
I normally run about 104-108db at the console.
The club is about 6500 sq ft I think, possibly bigger as it's made of 4 bays.
It's 80+feet to the back of the room through columns and other
obstructions from the speakers , but the OT variants cut through fine. The back of the
room is quite a nice place to sit as it's clear and about 100db and you can still talk over it.
I had to turn the subs on thier sides to fill the front of the room.
They are very directional but I found that on thier sides stacked, with the FLAT end toward the stage, they disperse quite well.
We had two pointed at the kitchen 80+ feet away in th enormal position, through the bar no less and the cook came running out because we were knocking stuff off the shelves... :D :D AT LOW VOLUME!!!!!
They carry to the back now fine and actually miss the kitchen.
Kudo's to Dr. Danley for an Adjustable Dispersion directional sub.

I have to build two more to raise the tops up over 6 feet and give myself some headroom so I can relax. I'll add two more tops (I have 4 more), and set up two banks of two per side splayed.
That should improve the upper end dispersion and reduce the pain associated with sitting 5 feet from the bottom tops.

Thanks for the result of your retest Flipc. I had to do a show with double 18's and I couldn't get them to sound anything like the TH
at all. No clarity, just mud out of the EV's. The Jbls were no better.
The TH's are bigger and more of a pain to carry around cuz you need more of them, but then again you need less amps and they certainly crank out pretty sweet low end, especially pushed.

I get at least 3 compliments every single night, and there have been people coming in just to hear the system via word of mouth.
Record producers, musicians, big sound companies, competitors, and the usual live music patrons. The nicest one was from a big company, "Sounds almost as good as ours, but the subs actually sound better", "Nice work". Then I found out who they were and what they had: 2 MILO arrays and 6 other Meyer PA's...... :eek:
MAN...That erased any doubts.....:cannotbe:
Maybe Danley and Meyer ought to work together given the economy. The could call thier combined system the DAMN line, cause I expect that's what the first words out of everyone's mouth would be when they heard it. :)

FlipC_TH_Mini_clone

Hi FlipC,

Thanks for the additional information. I've been drawing around on the Minis, and simulating in Hornresp. The size is just a little limiting, it is good to hear that you are happy with the sound quality.

Hope you get your roof fixed, and have no more bad storms.

Regards,

So your mid highs are running off the CA 12 and 2501 in biamped mode? Assume the CA 12 is running 4 ohm mono ?
And is the 2501 The Crest Pro 2501 ?

What are the THs running off of?
And have you run any electronic music through them? Drum and Bass or Electro? Download this Brockie & Ed Solo "System Check"
Run that at full tilt. Love to use this to freak people out.

That SPL level in that setup
is nice. A very wide stack arrangement. At center dance floor/stage,
how is the dispersion?
From your pic I would hate to sit at that one table.
130 DB esk right there? OUCH! Defiantly see why your building 2 more.

I would really love to be home working on some cabinets right now...
:smash:

Though I should be actually working my job at this moment.
Freaking crack addict I am. Insert bass directly into my veins please.

So on my dual 12.
I started thinking about using dual path lengths. Each sub slightly different to even out the response. I asked DJK about this but he thinks it will cause one of the drivers to become unloaded. Though he agrees it does look like the newer Danley THs do use different path lengths. I am trying to find someone to help me sim this in Akabak. Anyone?
I can set it up as 2 completely
separate paths but that isn't correct. They will have different throats but share everything else.

All I need is 8 of the TH 812s and
2 TH 221's. Think that would satisfy me for awhile.

I couldn't figure out dual paths either. I wanted one centered around 80-100, and the other around 40 or so all off the single 15. The phase issues must be quite tricky to get around and then I suppose there's pressure issues as well.
I kinda found the bounce worked for now.

CA12- runs 6 kappa12a, 3 per side at 2.6 ohms. never clips
2501A (2 ohm version), runs 6 22xt, 3 per side. never clips
Tsunami Switchmode 620wpc 8 ohm, drives 2 subs
Crest ca9 600+wpc 8ohm, drives the other 2
Crest 600w is 600w avg not peak.
Bridge mono is forbidden on my systems!!

I'll move the CA9 and Tsunami to the tops when I add another
so I can run 5 per side max and lower the spl on the bottom 2 per side.
The CA12 will run 3 subs per side. Have spare ca12 in reserve.

Running in the 2 ohms I understand why you don't run mono.
I run my Cerwins at 2 ohms on a Crest FA2401. I run it bridge with a 2 ohm load. The only issue I had was when I vibrated out the access panel screws.:xeye: Besides that it never breaks a sweat.

I am going to give the new Berry EP4000 a whirl.
After getting my Crown XLS I am over paying for a name brand when it is made with the same parts in the same place. At 25 cents an hour you might think Crown would sell them cheaper. (made in mexico)

Anyone want to come up with a way to get
2 -12's into a double fold 400 Lt box? Path length 302.5cm ? 15 inchs wide.

Running mono subjects you to a number of problems I prefer to avoid at all costs. Unless it's a brand new amp.
For me bridge mono is a last resort option when something goes wrong at a gig and I have no other option.
1) Any mismatch between the two channels eventually results in failure.

2) The amp will run hotter. 2 ohm in bridge mono is 1 ohm per
channel. You had better pray you dont short a driver!!!!!
Since it's a reactive load, the protection may not kick in
fast enough under heavy load resulting in a rather spectacular and quite possibly permanent failure. (Amp+speakers in trash).

3) Output transistors are like light bulbs. They have a lifespan
of so many hours. As you lower the impedence you shorten
the expected lifespan of the amp. For an 8 ohm amp, 4 ohms cuts its life in 1/2, 2 ohms cuts it to 1/4. That's why Crown and Crest usually change all outputs even if only one failed.

4) If one channel goes into protect due to heat, it will take longer to recover if it even does. You loose the whole stack it's connected to untill it does. You can't turn down one channel
to run it cooler either. (we do that a lot here in florida).
In dual mode you can at least keep half the stack running.
How many time have you heard things cutting in and out at big outdoor shows run by the pros? Plenty!

5) All of my 7 crests and every amp I have except one were bought blown. Every one of them came to me set to bridge mono.
That should tell you something.

XTC is not a bad amp, you won't like running that Berry in mono.
My EP amps were over heating and shutting down with 4 ohm loads without ever hitting a clip light in cool indoor gigs. I finally dumped them. I could be wrong as I've not tried the 4000.
Also CE amps are the worst... dump em if the warranty is up!.
:smash: O.K. I'll put away my baseball bat now. :sarge:

Reactions: 1 user
tb46
Thanks I will check out your HR inputs but I was referring to actual layout. I have 3 possibilities but right now I am looking at a cabinet
15"t x 27"w x 60" d. Very simple V type build. Just though odd sizing.

Thanks for the info Screamer.
You refer to XTC and CE amps...?

The EP 2,3, and 4 K amps just started shipping.
And they have another one out now that looks exactly like the QSC's.
I will get one of the EP 4000' rip it open and check the specs on the parts. Put it through hell and write a review.

I got through with my taxes
so hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow so I can pick up some OSB to start on some test boxes.