Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp

Hi Peter, you can get them in Hong Kong get the $5 led tester I posted in the 1st post of this thread. Get a friend and yourself to buy 20 pieces from here, you'll get enough for two quad matched sets and sell the left overs ones.

Hong Kong Nsl-32sr2s, Hong Kong Nsl-32sr2s Manufacturers and Suppliers on Alibaba.com

Cheers George

Hi George,

I did contact the supplier but they keep telling me they are still looking.... A Chinese import/export company usually won't care to deal in such a small lot....

Peter

I had no inkling that they were so costly...... !

George, your commercial offering is extremely well priced given the source costs of components, casing, I.P, support, and warranty !.

I have a bunch of the 'non-select' and have just ordered a led tester to calibrate them with....though having used the diy version for some time now I would definitely go for the 'select' in future.

Two ideas that i would like some feedback on.....
if the L.E.D.s are so variable and finicky why not grind off the L.E.D end/leads and use some other form of illumination ?

What about using the Silonex devices as a 'Wake-up alarm' ?
As the light levels increase in one's boudoir so too does the volume of one's preferred wake-up 'cacophony.'..hrummph !...music !.. :D

I had no inkling that they were so costly...... !

George, your commercial offering is extremely well priced given the source costs of components, casing, I.P, support, and warranty !.

I have a bunch of the 'non-select' and have just ordered a led tester to calibrate them with....though having used the diy version for some time now I would definitely go for the 'select' in future.

Two ideas that i would like some feedback on.....
if the L.E.D.s are so variable and finicky why not grind off the L.E.D end/leads and use some other form of illumination ?

What about using the Silonex devices as a 'Wake-up alarm' ?
As the light levels increase in one's boudoir so too does the volume of one's preferred wake-up 'cacophony.'..hrummph !...music !.. :D

They're costly in small quantities, but if you buy them in bulk there not too bad. And yes I'm not making much, especially with worldwide post included in the price. I just get a kick out customers coming back to me saying it sounds better than their $10k-$20K preamps, but without the visual glitz.

Yes the selected "S" version are much closer, and also lower in ohmage at 20mA, therefore giving you lower minimum listening level for background music.

The led side is not the problem, it's the LDR side that needs the matching.

Don't know about the last question.

Cheers George

The led side is not the problem, it's the LDR side that needs the matching.

Oh well, there goes that hope then... I had thought that the LED testers existed to match LEDs for brightness as they were so darn variable and if one bought some cheap superbrights and matched them for output then ground off the backs of the Silonex and heat-shrunk a superbright to the back of each LDR then a better, cheaper, more controllable match could be found.. ....

and re the second question.... I am going to experiment with a silonex on a flying lead taped to a window and wired as part of the attenuator for a morning 'gentle wakeup'. ??? (we are rural so no light spill from streetlights..... only the Moon....hmmmm ooops more thinking needed here...

Last edited:
You could still do your wake up call. Just use the ldr for series and a potentiometer for shunt. In the morning you calibrate it by turning the pot til you get a volume you like for first light. The moon will provide less light so the music will be much quieter maybe nearly muted. Just think...you'll never miss the big meteor! The rest of us will sleep right through it.

I used LDR's attenuator with lightspeed circuit happily for years. Highly recommended. Migrated to Autoformer Volume Control using Dave Segal AVC. Some will like one vs the other. To me it was a step up, but both are top rate. 10x the cost.

I used Uriah Dailey's Lighter Note LDR attenuator for several years before changing to Segal's AVC thanks to a suggestion from wlowes. The AVC sounds better in my system but I suspect the difference would diminish if my DAC's Zout was lower and my amp's Zin higher. Whatever, both were significantly better than the mid-range SA I'd used prior.

HTH

D

Help needed posting and identifying a noise

Help needed identifying a noise. But I need to post it here but can't, can some do it for me if I send/email it to them?, it's MPEG4 Audio (.m4a) 132KB

Over 800 units now I have never heard this type of sound.
I have a customer in the US that has sent his Lightspeed back to me a few times now, and I can't find any problem, listening or testing it. So each time just on spec I've changed just about everything in it even power supplies.
This noise he recorded to me sounds weird, I never heard one like it.

Cheers George

BTW here's the owner's explanation of the noise.

"My theory is that the Sonos system I am using may be having a negative interaction with the lightspeed volume attenuator. I'm noticing now that while the music is playing everything is OK. It is during transitions of songs that I am hearing the pulsating artifact you here in the recording I sent in the previous email. I also noticed a static sound when I am using the digital slider on my iPhone Sonos app. When a song starts or stops I also hear the pulsating noise. That could be the explanation why we have had the same problem in both systems."

Cheers George