Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp

When I say series in shunt spot basically what I mean is this
We have across the board 4 LDRs. Lets call them ABCD and they are in that order. A is shunt, B is series, C is shunt, D is series. So if we took a pair out of the bag and put them in the board the proper way would be that the pair would either go in A and C or in B and D but NOT AB or CD.
Uriah

Hi Uriah

I didn't take a note of the LDR numbers I inserted in series or shunt. They were inserted in pairs and I believe I soldered the lower resistance pair in to shunt location.

Top2-1.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

When I say series in shunt spot basically what I mean is this
We have across the board 4 LDRs. Lets call them ABCD and they are in that order. A is shunt, B is series, C is shunt, D is series. So if we took a pair out of the bag and put them in the board the proper way would be that the pair would either go in A and C or in B and D but NOT AB or CD.
Uriah

Yes I soldered them in the correct location. 1 and 3, 2 and 4

Buffer? is this the B1 by Nelson Pass?

A buffer passes the signal straight through without inversion and without gain.
The output is very slightly lower than the input and the lower the load resistance/impedance the bigger the voltage loss through the buffer. Expect 99% of the input voltage across a normal output load.

Any imbalance between channels must be due to an error, either elsewhere in in the B1 assembly.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Andrew, thanks for the input. Nelson had Lightspeed version with a jfet buffer to help drive amplifiers with lower input impedance. It has +/- power supply so there is no provision to trim the ldr's with a pot to ground like George's original. He has a schematic somewhere in here I just can't point it out at the moment. I'll have to wade through to find it.

While Nelson has provided a position for a regular pot to be in control of the volume, the LDRs values will still alter the volume. Have you implemented the circuit for the LDRs power just as George has shown us? If so you will have two 1k trimmers in series with two of the LDRs. Turn the system on, play some music, and change one of those trimmers til you get a good balance.
Uriah