Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Last edited:
Whatever country, does not make it right!!!!
I have sent him an email asking him to remove any reference to the word "Lightspeed" as he has on his website and manual and whatever else.

Please to all those faithful to the Lightspeed Attenuator cause, send him and email ( office@myth.rs ) to show your disapproval of how he is marketing and trying to scam on the Lightspeed name, and show it in a post here as well, this sort of IP rip-off has to be reprimanded.

Cheers George

I just did, Supporting you !!!!

As the owner of the site and the preamp I have few things to say.

Firstly, I am sorry that the name Lightspeed got linked to my device. Simply, people started calling it in that way from the very start so I kept the name. This was an unfortunate decision, but since none complained for about two years, so I kept it.

I however now see it was wrong, so I will simply change the name of the preamplifier we produce.

As for the design, it is completely different from what is Georgehifi is selling. Firstly, I tried the original design, but in my expectations it gave me poor results.
First of all, it required careful matching of LDRs which is tedious and often unsuccessfull.
Secondly, I had the opportunity to use the Audio Precision measurement device and I noticed large THD at low volume intensities which did not satisfy my expectations.
All the same, a stereo device made in such way had difference in volume levels between the channels which was also very bad for me.
Finally, using potentiometers was rather old fashion for me, so I completely abandoned the design. I added the touch screen, a remote controller, and for a short time there was a jog shuttle.

I did not follow what georgehifi did in the meantime, I made my own design and put it in my own casing and started selling it. From that moment, I never wrote anything about the commerce aspect on this forum.

For those interested what I did in order to solve the problems above, here it is:
- I used two LDRs per channel
- I put 16 bit DA converters for controlling the current through LDRs
- I used a microprocessor with a negative feedback for carefully adjusting DAC outputs in order to avoid manual matching of LDR pairs
- I used a microprocessor to carefully match the output levels of the left and right channel for all volume intensities, so there are no differences,

Finally, I read some insults at this topic about me, calling me scum (probably coming from my country mates), so I ask for people to apologize and for moderators to act. I have a registered firm, I pay taxes and I legally employ two engineers who feed their families with their honest work.

As for the name Lightspeed, I appologize once again, I have changed it on the website and it will not be sold under such name anymore. I would appreciate if the owners of the Lightspeed name had contacted me earlier, I was simply too busy to follow the forum, so I was not really informed how far it went.

Thank you for your attention.

I never meant to make any trouble, sorry for that, I simply did not follow this forum for some time.

If you need further assistance from our side please contact us. We are willing to solve any misunderstandings. Communication is something we hold to be a very important in conflict solving.

Response by me to Zen Mod in a PM he sent.
Do you guys think I have done/said the right thing?
Cheers George

" Hi Zen Mod, I have no problem with this, so long as a completed unit or complete kit is not sold with the "Lightspeed" name referenced to it.
I do feel now that in your cookbook you should not reference the "Lightspeed" name to that project, otherwise all this fiasco will all seem hypocritical."

Cheers George

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Response by me to Zen Mod in a PM he sent.
Do you guys think I have done/said the right thing?
Cheers George

" Hi Zen Mod, I have no problem with this, so long as a completed unit or complete kit is not sold with the "Lightspeed" name referenced to it.
I do feel now that in your cookbook you should not reference the "Lightspeed" name to that project, otherwise all this fiasco will all seem hypocritical."

Cheers George

I agree ;
and as I said already - I'll change pet name of that PSM project in something as OV ( Opto Volume) , but I'll keep all credits and links to George's thread and site

:cheers:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
AFAIK - a "lightspeed" is now a widely spread, generic name for any optical resistor controlled volume control or preamp by many DIY-ers....

can't agree more ;

and that's normal - if you make one for your own usage - call it even Marylin Monroe if you wish :clown:

( anyway - generally speaking : )

- in case of any sum of money involved , I see it as George's call ;

I don't know did he patented/copyrighted term "Lightspeed" , and I don't care ;
I don't need any law to take credit where credit belongs .

I'm strictly speaking about our PSM LS fun project , in these circumstances; other cases are neither my job , nor concern .

DIY means DO IT YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time for me to let some steam off, I've been on the keyboard for hours, this post is the result, forgive me for blowing a gasket.

I am getting a lot of guilty people emailing/PM'ing asking whether they can do this or that for their mother, father, grand mother, sister, and audiophile mates. Does this mean they are trying to make a buck out of the Lightspeed you bet it does.

Please!!!! the suppliers of the PCB's and the matched LDR's, limit to one set per customer, because if you go over that it means they are going to get greedy, and start to think they can make bucks out of someone else's IP.
IT JUST AINT RIGHT
I put this out there 4.5 years ago in DIYAUDIO for DIY'ers to do themselves and get something special.

For god's sake this is DIYAUDIO (DO IT YOURSELF) this is where the Lightspeed Attenuator started (stop raping it), forget about your mates, mothers, fathers, etc, tell them to all to DIY also.

Cheers George

Time for me to let some steam off, I've been on the keyboard for hours, this post is the result, forgive me for blowing a gasket.

I am getting a lot of guilty people emailing/PM'ing asking whether they can do this or that for their mother, father, grand mother, sister, and audiophile mates. Does this mean they are trying to make a buck out of the Lightspeed you bet it does.

Please!!!! the suppliers of the PCB's and the matched LDR's, limit to one set per customer, because if you go over that it means they are going to get greedy, and start to think they can make bucks out of someone else's IP.
IT JUST AINT RIGHT
I put this out there 4.5 years ago in DIYAUDIO for DIY'ers to do themselves and get something special.

For god's sake this is DIYAUDIO (DO IT YOURSELF) this is where the Lightspeed Attenuator started (stop raping it), forget about your mates, mothers, fathers, etc, tell them to all to DIY also.

Cheers George

can you show / prove that this is your circuit for sure ?

can you show / prove that this is your circuit for sure ?

You want blood?
Tying to make more work for me? Here you prove it to yourself, some of the names.

Otto Major, George Cronin, Larry Turnbull, Collin Waite, Elson Silver, Chris Fellifiel, Steve Deratz, etc they were all there at the first demo of the Lightspeed Attenuator in 1975 at Erskin St Sydney.
If you care to do the searching I'm sure you will find at least one of them, they were all noted audiophile manufacturers one RIP George was a violin teacher at the Sydney conservatorium of music.

Cheers George

You want blood?
Tying to make more work for me? Here you prove it to yourself, some of the names.

Otto Major, George Cronin, Larry Turnbull, Collin Waite, Elson Silver, Chris Fellifiel, Steve Deratz, etc they were all there at the first demo of the Lightspeed Attenuator in 1975 at Erskin St Sydney.
If you care to do the searching I'm sure you will find at least one of them, they were all noted audiophile manufacturers one RIP George was a violin teacher at the Sydney conservatorium of music.

Cheers George

George,
I think you're losing it. Maybe you should quit these rants before you fall further behind....

A collection of names that attended a demo in 1975 has nothing to do with answering Jace's question. Can you verify that the Myth product is a copy of your design? Are they violating a patent / copyright / trademark? If so, talk to a lawyer. Do you own the word "lightspeed" or it's use? If you think so, you better do a Google search and hire a few more lawyers.... They will have their work cut out for them.