Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp

Re: Lightspeed remote control

maximus said:
Hi Folks,

All outstanding VCCS ans IRTR printed circuit board orders went out today with a parts list. I will be starting module construction on Saturday after I finish the application notes. There are a fair few module orders so it may take a few Saturdays to clear these orders. Earliest orders will be dealt with first.

I keep getting technical enquiries via e-mail and this is just slowing me down as I have to answer many questions repetitively. Please confine technical enquiries to the forum thread.

Regards]
Paul

Paul,

Boards and layout / parts list have arrived :D- many thanks. As I want to order the parts as soon as possible will the Application Notes detail power ratings of resistors etc or do you have any guidelines?

Regards

Alan

maximus said:
Hi Alan,

All the resistors can be 1/4W except the 33R resistors on the IR transmitter board which should be 1/2 W. I will mention this in the application notes.

Regards
Paul

Paul - if you do not mind I will try to put together a BOM for each board using the usual sources (Mouser / DigiKey / Farnell) and publish it.

Alan

maximus said:
Hi Alan,

I would be pleased if you create a BOM for the boards as it will save me time, thank you.

I see this as a communal project and encourage discussion and ideas from others, particularly with further applications development and knowledge management on the thread.

Regards
Paul

Paul - I find that I cannot contribute much on the electronics side so something like this allows me to contribute something.

Alan.

tinitus said:

Cant see your pictures
Is that due to not being registered member on that site

Tinitus you need to send me your contact information. Please use the email button on my post.

Yes, you do need to register. Its a bit of a pain but a lot of forums do that. However, its a useful and informative forum that is certainly worth registering with. I would venture to say there is not another forum like it on the net because of his projects pages.

Uriah

I hope to generate a lot more action on this thread. Build action of course!
LDRs have been expensive so I am doing a group buy. I will only announce this once here to not infringe on the purpose of this thread.

I just put in an order for 700 LDRs. I will be matching them for you if you like and also selling them at zero profit unmatched. I will be here as well as many others to help you build. Please lets keep questions on this thread.
I am writing a paper describing in detail exactly how to build this attenuator an why you are using each component. I do not describe how to build the power supply because there are so many options.

Here is full pricing
I charge $4 for shipping anywhere in the world. Flat rate.
Required $3 donation to DIYaudio for each order is included in your price.
30 cents plus 3% of final total covers paypal fees.

I am paying 1.54 each for LDRs after taxes and paypal fees they end up at 1.667 each.

Unbalanced Stereo Matched Set = 38.42 includes all fees and shipping
Balanced Stereo Matched Set = 100.22 includes all fees and shipping

Examples of quantities and pricing for unmatched LDRs including all fees and shipping:
25 = 50.44
50 = 93.97
75 = 136.29
100 = 179.22

Here is how it is calculated

((LDRs*1.54)(taxes of 8.25%)) +Shipping + DIYaudio Donation + Minimum PayPal fee of 30 cents
Multiply the whole thing by 3%

There are now plenty of LDRs left so please dont hesitate to put your order in.

PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD TO PURCHASE THEM
You may post here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1822747#post1822747
or email me at diyldr@gmail.com
Uriah

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
A bit quiet here

I thought I might do a preamp like this

With stereo LDR into a Pass B1 buffer
Double stereo out via 2 stereo LDR

At first I thought I would use "only" two seperate stereo outputs with seperate stereo LDR lightspeed
One to adjust woofers, and other mid/tweet
But might be a bit tidious in the long run, though I dont adjust volume that much
But maybe use use a 3. stereo LDR lightspeed

What do you think of this
Should I get a 3. set of LDR, or better forget it
Would the complication mean too much loss of quality

Its a special way to do a biamped passive speaker system
Reality is that over time most will probably use a digital filter fore at least woofers, in which case the above will be of less use

Alternatively I could do just one output with LDR att (woofers), and the other straight
There could also be one straight bypassed the B1
Lots of possible configurations

I might also build Aikido tubeunit to connect my FM tuner

Attachments

• lightspeed preamp.jpg
    lightspeed preamp.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,040
tinitus said:
A bit quiet here

I thought I might do a preamp like this

With stereo LDR into a Pass B1 buffer
Double stereo out via 2 stereo LDR

Have you considered that the LSA is in fact just a passive potentiometer and there there are two places on the B1 to have pots wired into? You could just wire your LSA into that.
You would only need one stereo LSA then.
Uriah

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Yeah, but what I wanted further is a way to control a biamped system

Not sure whether the passive LDR attenuator will like several stereo amps in paralel

I believe Pass has announced a FirstWatt special B2 biamp version, as well as a B3 with gain
And just now I see a B4 filter/eq
So it may be early days fore that
As always, this never seems to have an end :clown:

Thought I change my avatar, hope nobody minds, it's less of a plug than putting an half a dozen advertising web site addresses in the signature like some do.
While were at it with some of the new inductees to the Lightspeed Attenuator thread, please vote for our own "Passive Preamp" forum here.
http://www.diyaudio.com/request/

Cheers George & may the Lightspeed be with you.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
George, its a cool avatar

Maybe a bit over the top, but I hope this will be my Lightspeed/Aikido preamp, fore my future speaker projects :cool:

A bit worried about the complexity and possible noise/microphonic issues, interference etc.
Will the Aikido be able to drive 3x lightspeed att
I might consider to do output with just 2x lightspeed
Will the main lightspeed controller be able to drive both the Aikido and the sub out
:rolleyes:

Any ideas about which issues I am facing with this?

Attachments

• lightspeed aikido preamp.jpg
    lightspeed aikido preamp.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 940
VCCS Instructions.

Paul,

I am just about finished the BOM - I know more now than I did before - especially about some web-sites!

I would like to see the instructions to make sure that I have interpreted everything correctly - how is it going?

Whatever - I will publish the BOM this evening after a further check and hope that someone will check it for me.

Alan