Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp

gabanyayaya said:

hi George,

I have a 12V 1000mA output walwart charger. Is it safe to use this to a 5V regulator boards and to my LS circuit?

You say charger? do you mean a battery charger if so then no, as they are usually not very clean. You need a wall wart of 12vdc preferably regulated and linear that has >200mA to 500mA current output.
It needs not to be regulated if you have a good 5vdc regulator circuit after it, it can even be 9vdc wall wart so long as your 5v regulator doesn't drop out.

Cheers George

georgehifi said:

You say charger? do you mean a battery charger if so then no, as they are usually not very clean. You need a wall wart of 12vdc preferably regulated and linear that has >200mA to 500mA current output.
It needs not to be regulated if you have a good 5vdc regulator circuit after it, it can even be 9vdc wall wart so long as your 5v regulator doesn't drop out.

Cheers George

George,

here there's many wall wart adapter for supplying DC 12v to 9v either for charging electronics devices or just for supplying any appliances but mostly comes from cheap transformer type.

can you show me example the one that you said to be regulated/liner type...? Ebay would be ok...thanks

gabanyayaya said:

George,

here there's many wall wart adapter for supplying DC 12v to 9v either for charging electronics devices or just for supplying any appliances but mostly comes from cheap transformer type.

can you show me example the one that you said to be regulated/liner type...? Ebay would be ok...thanks

This is a Linear 12vdc regulated, it's the one I suggest for my US customers as it is 110v. You need to source a 240v for Malaysia.

https://www.rpelectronics.com/Defau...&Detail=/English/Content/Items/RP-1240R-P.asp

Linear 12vdc regulated are getting harder to source, everyones going cheaper to make switch modes and you can see the difference in noise on the output with a scope between the two on the Lightspeed Attenuator, whether you can hear it, is up to the individual.

Cheers George

I have several of these if anyone wants some.. Just pay shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-15-CISCO...7a855e5db&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

universal voltage in, regulated 48VDC out.

A simple 18 volt and then 5 volt reg would give you a VERY stable power supply.

Again, just pay shipping. I have around 30-50 that I just can't bear to throw in the garbage.

EDIT: I just used the link for the picture.. I am NOT in way affiliated with that seller on ebay... They just usually have these on ebay that reference.

georgehifi said:

This is a Linear 12vdc regulated, it's the one I suggest for my US customers as it is 110v. You need to source a 240v for Malaysia.

https://www.rpelectronics.com/Defau...&Detail=/English/Content/Items/RP-1240R-P.asp

Linear 12vdc regulated are getting harder to source, everyones going cheaper to make switch modes and you can see the difference in noise on the output with a scope between the two on the Lightspeed Attenuator, whether you can hear it, is up to the individual.

Cheers George

Thank you George,

I found this one...

AC / DC adaptor regulated output 3 - 12V 300mA 100-240V

From what I see it, it's correct....is it George ???

troystg said:
I have several of these if anyone wants some.. Just pay shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-15-CISCO...7a855e5db&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

universal voltage in, regulated 48VDC out.

A simple 18 volt and then 5 volt reg would give you a VERY stable power supply.

Again, just pay shipping. I have around 30-50 that I just can't bear to throw in the garbage.

EDIT: I just used the link for the picture.. I am NOT in way affiliated with that seller on ebay... They just usually have these on ebay that reference.

Email send...

Lightspeed remote control

Hi Marc,

All the boards work electrically. The problem with the transmitter board was caused by the manufacturer trimming the board to the wrong size to fit the recommended extruded aluminium case. They have now provided replacements trimmed more accurately. As most of you have ordered one or more full sets of boards/modules I decided to wait until the replacement boards arrived before shipping as shipping part orders only adds more carriage/packing cost.

Regards
Paul

georgehifi said:
I meant they were also switch mode, sorry for the for sale typo, should have said for free.

Cheers George

George,

That case I might as well get the local switching adapter rather that that one if it's from the same type...

George would it be ok if utilize 'noisy' switching regulator then in my 5v regulator I use some thing like ALWSR or TeddyReg to filter those garbage...???

Hi Ced
Sure I have no problem with that.
First Here is Giovanni Miltano's build using an extra board that I sent him. By the way, I am not selling these boards I just made more than one for myself and he is a good friend so he got one. But they are simple to etch.
So, here is his build with a pic of my board
http://www.diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=615
Here is my build
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=388
This build also includes my board design for a power supply which I think switches at 300khz and I can not hear the switching in the speakers but I CAN hear it when I put my ear up to the power supply. No I am not a liar :) It whines real high pitch so I bet you could build a better one.
I screwed up my first board and posted a fixed layout later on in that thread on page 3 I think.
Here is the link to the pic. http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/download/file.php?id=582
I would be glad to help you with any questions you have about the boards. If you take it into Photoshop and remove the red then paint a little green into where removing the red actually removed traces you will have the image you need to etch.
I used the blue press n peel method but be sure to find a print shop that uses HP toner and then have them open up the printer to verify that its HP toner. Its the ONLY toner that I have found that sticks with any regularity after ironing the press n peel onto your copper clad board. I found that if you use a piece of paper between the press n peel and the iron this helps a lot. Tape the press n peel in place. Iron for about one minute on high contstantly moving around but with the whole iron over the image. Then remove the paper and use the tip of the iron to outline the whole image. Then douse quickly in cold water. Wait a half minute. Carefully peel away and then etch.
Uriah

Lightspeed remote control

Hi Folks,

All outstanding VCCS ans IRTR printed circuit board orders went out today with a parts list. I will be starting module construction on Saturday after I finish the application notes. There are a fair few module orders so it may take a few Saturdays to clear these orders. Earliest orders will be dealt with first.

I keep getting technical enquiries via e-mail and this is just slowing me down as I have to answer many questions repetitively. Please confine technical enquiries to the forum thread.

Regards]
Paul