Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp

jkeny said:

Or in other words if both series & shunt LDRs were ideal devices how would the table of series & shunt resistances look at various vol settings (0-63dB)?

It depends on the curve of the led controller pot (100kdual pot) itself. In my production Lightspeed Attenuator's case if you use a log all follows close to an audio taper, slow to begin with then increasing faster around the mid position and after. If you use a linear dual pot it starts way too fast for my and others liking.
So in my production Lightspeed Attenuator it is as my circuit I posted up a few times:
"NSL32rs2s all matched, 100ohm resistors on the positive leg fed positive voltage by a 100k dual Logarithmic pot in push/pull arrangement from a 5vdc regulated supply".
If any of the above are changed the ideal audio taper volume curve will be effected.
I tried a single log 100k and the results were not to my liking, as it ended up crackling, I think because the single track was asked to control all 4 led's, where the dual only had to service 2 led's on each track.

Cheers George

georgehifi said:

It depends on the curve of the led controller pot (100kdual pot) itself. In my production Lightspeed Attenuator's case if you use a log all follows close to an audio taper, slow to begin with then increasing faster around the mid position and after. If you use a linear dual pot it starts way too fast for my and others liking.
So in my production Lightspeed Attenuator it is as my circuit I posted up a few times:
"NSL32rs2s all matched, 100ohm resistors on the positive leg fed positive voltage by a 100k dual Logarithmic pot in push/pull arrangement from a 5vdc regulated supply".
If any of the above are changed the ideal audio taper volume curve will be effected.
I tried a single log 100k and the results were not to my liking, as it ended up crackling, I think because the single track was asked to control all 4 led's, where the dual only had to service 2 led's on each track.

Cheers George
Taken the fact that log pots have tracking errors, wouldn't you have trouble matching the NSL32rs2s with the pots?
Ooops, looked at your connections. No problem.:)

Actually, I was wrong - the control law is here: http://www1.silonex.com/audiohm/constants.html

Control Law

These couplers show a decreasing cell resistance with increased LED current. Figure 4 shows the RON vs. ILED performance for a typical NSL-32SR2 coupler. The transfer characteristic shows three regions at medium currents (3uA<ILED<75uA) the cell resistance is given by:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

At low currents, Rb dominates the curve being less steep and becoming asymptotic to ROFF. At high currents saturation of the LED results in the curve becoming less steep tending towards the minimum value of RON achievable. Figure 5 shows the same measurement for the NSL-32SR3. This device has a slightly higher value for Rv and a much higher value of Rb, resulting in no flattening of the transfer characteristic at low currents.

jkeny said:
I know this relationship between LEDs & vol control exists:

But is there a formula that defines the ideal relationship/operation? i.e. given the series R the shunt R can be calculated or vice versa?

Or in other words if both series & shunt LDRs were ideal devices how would the table of series & shunt resistances look at various vol settings (0-63dB)?

Would you please take a look here:

Sheet with db - resistor values

Hi Thomas,
This thread is so long now that gems of info like yours are hard to find - I read forward from your link & saw that you had temp drift issues but you eventually solved them. Also I see that you're using a DAC & remote control. I'll PM you to pick your brains, if that's OK?

Edit: Ah I see that you're not accepting emails - please email me - I'm working on a uC remote controlled multichannel preamp using unmatched LDRs & I wished to confer with you!

I'm building a preamp which uses a ATMega uC & unmatched LDRs with a calibration function to bring the LDRs into alignment with each other - I figured matching to the ideal slope for the particular LDR type would be the best option.

Jackiinj, your graph is most helpful - do you have different K constants for the NSL-32SR3 which enabled you to plot the expected resistance for this device? My plot for NSL-32SR2 might be slightly different to your graph for NSL-32SR3 with R at a value of 1250 when crossing the 1mA.

Odd question here. I've built a few of my own LDRs and they work fine. Now I'm looking at a minimalist push-pull tube amp fed directly by a transformer connected to a DAC. The DAC is a Cirrus Logic with differential voltage outputs, about 5v peak to peak. I'm looking at driving the grids of the tubes from the output of the transformer. I was noodling around in my head for a volume control and came around to LDRs. Does anyone have any opinions on the attached schematic? Back of the envelope calculations using the NSL-32SR3 datasheet says that I should get about 15v out of the transformer (good for driving an EL-34) and keep the input impedance at a minimum of 840 ohms.

Attachments

• ldr.gif
    ldr.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,182
Straight voltage output according to the datasheet:
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/CS4398_F1.pdf
Output swings up to about 96% or 134% of the 5v analog voltage input (depending on mode). Also, there's a limit on how low the output impedance can be (1000 ohms), which would seem to indicate a current limited voltage out. See page 9 of the datasheet. The application note for a lowpass filter and balanced to unbalanced converter:
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/appNote/AN048Rev2.pdf
treats the outputs like pure voltage outputs rather than the usual current to voltage conversion.

Fenris said:
Does anyone have any opinions on the attached schematic? Back of the envelope calculations using the NSL-32SR3 datasheet says that I should get about 15v out of the transformer (good for driving an EL-34) and keep the input impedance at a minimum of 840 ohms.

Hello Fenris
you can expect about 1.7 to 2.5 V rms from your dac, output resistance will be 118 Ohms (datasheet), loaded with 210 Ohm (180 series, 30 must be the "on" resistance of the cell). This impedance will be transformed 1:16, will be 3360, not 840.
This is just the loudest setting, with a lower setting impedance is getting too high to handle for the transformer. I would go with a second (series) cell, without transformer. Definitely not possible to drive the grids of an EL34. If the cells would be on the secondary side, impedances would be okay, but the cells have high distorsion at higher voltages.
regards
Andre

georgehifi said:
Guys if you have one of my production Lightspeed Attenuators you can plug one of these straight in they have the right size plug and polarity and come with a fast charger, I've had mine on for days before needing a re-charge, As for the sound, (how did I know you were going to ask that) I and my friends are in two minds if we can hear much difference from the 12vdc regulated linear 300mA wall wart. we think there may be a ever so slight difference but none is game to put up their hand and say what.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/12V-Lithium-...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:10|39:1|240:1318

Cheers George

hi George,

I have a 12V 1000mA output walwart charger. Is it safe to use this to a 5V regulator boards and to my LS circuit?

Lightspeed remote control

Hi Folks,

Just thought you might like to know that I will be shipping the Lightspeed remote control circuit boards out from Tuesday next, and I should be able to start shipping the modules the following week.

I have not finished the website revision yet so I will send the parts list with the boards. The application notes should be on the website by the time you are ready to build.

Regards
Paul

Re: Lightspeed remote control

maximus said:
Hi Folks,

Just thought you might like to know that I will be shipping the Lightspeed remote control circuit boards out from Tuesday next, and I should be able to start shipping the modules the following week.

I have not finished the website revision yet so I will send the parts list with the boards. The application notes should be on the website by the time you are ready to build.

Regards
Paul

Great news Paul! So this is an update on the IR boards. How are the VCCS modules going?

regards,
marc