Light as Air Slot Loaded Band Pass Sub

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Like folding it once more?

Yes that looks good. I would make a triangle cross sectional shape bar (height of slot) maybe 2in deep at the apex and 5 in wide at base and place at the common duct joint. This will give smoother air flow out and reduce noise. Two pieces of thin angled ply works. Does not need to be solid.

Last edited:
Would Karlson slots be of any benefit?

Something like the attached? Just christened it KarlMivoc...
I really wonder what XRK and Freddi will have to say. :p

Attachments

• KarlMivoc AW2000 PP Sub.jpg
    KarlMivoc AW2000 PP Sub.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 410
Hi there, interesting thread!

Came across it while pondering what to do with 4 TB W5-876SD I have lying around. I've been wanting a nice portable system for outdoor use for a while, a pair of these should fit the bill. However for use outside I wanted to tune a bit higher, and maybe with a peak before roll-off.

I have never got to grips with Akabak and can't really figure out how the plenum dimensions affect the tuning of the box. BassBox and Hornresp don't seem to be able to sim it? Any chance of taking a look at these dimensions and checking they're not massively far out? Just over 8 litres in each chamber...Build will be 12mm ply...

Thanks very much :)

TBW5876SD_12mm.jpg

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi there, interesting thread!

Came across it while pondering what to do with 4 TB W5-876SD I have lying around. I've been wanting a nice portable system for outdoor use for a while, a pair of these should fit the bill. However for use outside I wanted to tune a bit higher, and maybe with a peak before roll-off.

I have never got to grips with Akabak and can't really figure out how the plenum dimensions affect the tuning of the box. BassBox and Hornresp don't seem to be able to sim it? Any chance of taking a look at these dimensions and checking they're not massively far out? Just over 8 litres in each chamber...Build will be 12mm ply...

Thanks very much :)

View attachment 612365

What's the gap dimension on the wraparound vents?

I know it's been a long time since anyone's posted in here but I am digging this design and am wondering about a version using one of these since the Tang Bands are discontinued.

Peerless SLS-P830945 5-1/4" Paper Cone Woofer 4 Ohm Pretty similar to the originals and that 5mm xmax.

Dayton Audio DC160S-4 6-1/2" Classic Shielded Woofer 4 Ohm Larger driver and much lower Fs but lower xmax. Not sure how that would translate to SPL extension.

FaitalPRO 5FE100 5" Professional Midbass Midrange Woofer 8 Ohm 5.25 xmax but the Fs and Qts are a bit high.

Thoughts or experience on any of these? Thanks!