Lateral CFA 120W - BSA

It is not about THD but harmonic profile of the distortion. You can ask Hugh Dean, for the explanation.

Of course harmonic profile is changing with level, but not because the compensation used but because increase distortion in an amp before feedback was applied. Or shall I say, depends of the circuit linearity without feedback.

Last edited:
OITPC combine with ODNF? Interesting.

In all topology that use OITPC, I found at low level the harmonic level is almost monotonic, but at high level depend on topology. I think, OITPC only reduce high order distortion at low level.

I think in amplifier, output stage is highest distortion source. So, ODNF is one solution to reduce output stage distortion. But I do not like use op-amp for ODNF. I think, we can make discrete op-amp for ODNF easily, because it do not need DC precision and very low noise.

I hope we can make class AB amplifier with harmonic profile like class A. But we need new thread for this.

Hi Bimo, OITPC makes sense with the traditional global feedback approach.
In the case of ODNF, only the local feedbacks are in place in each stage, so OITPC is not relevant anymore.

Although ODNF is, in fact, global in its nature (as it takes into consideration the whole amplifier, from its input to its output), the way this feedback is applied is rather special (the error signal is subtracted from the total signal at the VAS output).

If you look at the Simpelstark schematic, there are local c-e shunting caps at the drivers and a small capacitor across the front-end, limiting its bandwidth at HF. Now, the only thing we need to take care of is the error channel - the phase correction capacitor I mentioned earlier, does the job.

You must prove it of the same amplifier with different compensation can have same harmonic profile.

I don't need to prove that, because different compensations have different Loop Gain plot and thus different harmonic profile, but change of harmonic profile with the input signal level does not depends on the type of compensation used.
Bimo could we stop this discussion in this thread?

Damir, I think, the overall compensation approach is fine - what Thimios sees is some local issue. I have experienced this kind of situation a few times. One issue was in the VAS (local instability), the other one was in the output stage (caused by the local parasitics).

I agree.
Global stability is not enough to guaranty amplifier not oscillating. Example: using cascode if not carefully designed, it can oscillating, or parasitic inductance or capacitance of pcb layout can make instability.

Damir, I think, the overall compensation approach is fine - what Thimios sees is some local issue. I have experienced this kind of situation a few times. One issue was in the VAS (local instability), the other one was in the output stage (caused by the local parasitics).

Valery, yes I think it is local issue, problem in cascode, bonsai described that nicely.

+1

Then it is mostly to less GM/PM. Had a similar problem during my SA2016 development
Simulation models differ from the real devices.
Try to increase the miller cap until subtle oscillation stops.

BR, Toni
Sorry Tony can you name the caps?
I see that always is unstable when a voltmeter connected at speaker output.
When i run an fft test and connect a voltmeter, immediately artifacts apeared

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Toni I followed that thread before, but I use different compensation, you can look for OITPC. OITPC - Output inclusive TPC (not TMC)

I would say a mix of cherry and tpc and ?
The 110pF (2 x 220pF in series) shunt from positive to negative vas input - has this been checked too? What does this do?
I can remember Dave Zan has jumped in to check some maths - but is there a result?

BR, Toni