Lateral CFA 120W - BSA

Hello all,

what is the quintessence of thimios build of the BSA-120? Any modifications necessary to the published schematics and layouts? a short summary would be helpful.

Günni
Only one modification.
Connect R11, R12 (the left side) to +/-15v.
Use lower power supply +/-35v.
I will test this at +/-40v, may be today.
Stay tuned!
P. S I will post all voltage measurements too.

I will suggest next modification when you start testing, I want it to work with +-55V too.

Now is tested at +/-40v.
Unfortunately is unstable again.

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    63.6 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_20190626_110609.jpg
    IMG_20190626_110609.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Now is tested at +/-40v.
Unfortunately is unstable again.

Input stage DC operation is mostly controlled by the 15v zener. Output stage DC operation is mostly controlled by base-to-base voltage of the driver set by Vbe multiplier through the pot setting. So it is the VAS current that is mostly affected when you increase PS voltage. The transistor is too small, the emitter load bypass cap (1uF) can be tricky sometime. How about lowering VAS current to the same level as when you use lower PS voltage?

BTW, I have experiences where Chinese small signal transistors 'oscillate' at high voltage close to the Vce max. (LTP, Vce=45 or 50, power supply +/-30 or 35 volt)

Last edited:
Input stage DC operation is mostly controlled by the 15v zener. Output stage DC operation is mostly controlled by base-to-base voltage of the driver set by Vbe multiplier through the pot setting. So it is the VAS current that is mostly affected when you increase PS voltage. The transistor is too small, the emitter load bypass cap (1uF) can be tricky sometime. How about lowering VAS current to the same level as when you use lower PS voltage?

BTW, I have experiences where Chinese small signal transistors 'oscillate' at high voltage close to the Vce max. (LTP, Vce=45 or 50, power supply +/-30 or 35 volt)

You are correct about input stage operation, and the current trough coscode transistors Q5 and Q6 change just a little (controlled with the current trough Q1 and Q2 and that current does not change with PS voltage increase) and the VAS current as result increase just a little with increase of PS voltage, and that VAS current does not go over 4 mA and used transistors are not to small for that current.
VAS current is controlled by resistors R5 and R10 mostly.

Last edited: