Keystone Sub Using 18, 15, & 12 Inch Speakers

Thanks Art.

Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the 9601 when I bought it. The existing cabinet measures very low distortion in the operating band, terrible above 80Hz but I rarely use it up there. Managed to lower the distortion up high and widen the operating band using holes to "short" the path in v2, but the plywood was cheap and soon delaminated.

Lost plans years ago for both designs so will probably try an existing one like this or a paraflex and see how I go.

Thanks for that info. I read through the whole thread twice and I think my eyes are just hurting. That and buyers regret was setting in just looking at the price of the recommended drivers. Lol. I'm gonna buy what's been recommended.

You’re buying a driver that holds its value pretty well even used or re-coned. Plus, Art designed the cab around the driver so it’s the best fit. It’s gonna do you right no worries.

I can vouch for the 18tbw100. I have 4 and am very happy with them.

Attachments

• 20210404_155012.jpg
    20210404_155012.jpg
    638.2 KB · Views: 301
DS and looks like a winner to me. If I weren't so rusty at HR I'd run a sim but I bet it works well and similar to SW and might even have a little more output before xmax. The KS design is fairlry forgiving and I've simmed TONS and many drivers "work" but that depends on your definition. Generally speaking the more expensive drivers offer more output before xmax and yes this basically translates to 2 cabs with premium drivers will be comparable to 3-4 cabs drivers of less caliber. It took a while to learn but I learned TONS from HR. You can easily compare the above with a few clicks. Hopefully Art chimes in and gives a more accurate explanation.

Nice rig! @samdeboneff

And if I only build two cabinets am I better off going with the more expensive speaker? Like does two of the more expensive version equal close to the same output as 3-4 of the cheaper ones?
The BC18TBW100-4 has slightly less power handling, cost and Xvar than the BC18SW115-4, but slightly more sensitivity and weight.
A difference to be equal to doubling speakers would need to be 6dB, the difference between the above two is likely only 1-2 dB after power compression, the BC18SW115-4 having a slight output advantage, given more power.

The BC 18DS115-4 does has slightly more Bl and coil depth, but less Xvar than the BC18SW115-4, while power handling and price is the same. Without doing an actual listening A/B test between the two, still inclined to go with the BC18SW115-4 on the basis of Xvar.

As far as top cabinets, the lightweight SynTripP design works well above a pair of Keystones (or most any sub):
SynTripP: 2-way 2-part Virtual Single Point Source Horn

If you are looking for more output than a pair of SynTripP, Peter Morris PM60 or 90 are very good :
New DIY Mid High (90deg) - AKA PM90 | Sound Forums

Art

Last edited: