JX92S now in full voice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Colin said:
I had a problem with the BAF wadding - it got tangled in one of the t-nuts as I fitted the driver and jammed the bolt. I had to saw off the bolt head to release it. A novel problem. I removed some of the stuffing to avoid this. In future, the stuffing behind the driver goes inside a stocking or something similar.

Colin,
This is not intended to rub salt into wounds...

The TQW cabinets that I built to the Martin King calculations need stuffing at the top. To defy gravity I sewed "pillow cases" to the exact (!) shape of the cabinet, complete with tapes to tie on to the screws put in for the purpose (amused my wife immensely). The stuffing had to go in before glueing up. Shame these are sitting in the back of the garage at present.

Maybe one should use Torx or hex driver bolts instead of cross head. A big bar should sort out any that misbehave.

Andy

Hi Dave

Thanks for more info on the Radfords. The TLs which got me interested were a German or Scandanavian design, demonstrated at the 1990 hi fi show in London. Tall, slim columns with the line opening at the top. It wasn't the bass that impressed but the delightful, airy midrange and sense of sound being independent of the boxes.

No idea of the make, unfortunately, but no doubt we're doing better now anyway.

Those Paralines are very similar in many ways to a BIB. If the vent CSA is reduced slightly over the line terminus CSA so they're mildly mass-loaded, that should help prevent HF leakage through the cabinet. Most interesting. Pity they'd take up a fair bit of floor-space as-is, but I think I've got a way around that. The latest plot takes shape...

Scott

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Attachments

• paraline.gif
    paraline.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 547
Wish I'd thought of that... I ended up signing up. Might be useful at some point though, so I don't regret it.

The above is really just another of my now infamous thought experiments -not something I can see myself building, for the forseeable future anyway. I reckon it has some decent potential though. Whatever you're planning sounds interesting Ed. I'll look forward to hearing them at some point, hopefully in the not too distant future? Is this projected 'something' the thing you mentioned before about requiring stands BTW?

Scott

Scottmoose said:
Those Paralines are very similar in many ways to a BIB. If the vent CSA is reduced slightly over the line terminus CSA so they're mildly mass-loaded, that should help prevent HF leakage through the cabinet. Most interesting. Pity they'd take up a fair bit of floor-space as-is, but I think I've got a way around that. The latest plot takes shape...

Scott

Scott,

have found pictures of the BIB design, they are similar in shape, and presumably in effect.

The Paralines were usually stood on end to reduce floor space. The driver is then at a reasonable height.

The triangular TQWP (second post on this thread) was my attempt to update the Paraline technology. That version is not the best implementation. I am tempted to have another go at it. It would need Martin's new worksheets, and the construction method of the Egg, to be worthwhile. The drawback - to my simple mind - is the volume of the cabinet. Can all that air (34 litres) start and stop moving suddenly enough to reproduce large transients.

Is the above nonsense? Would MJK be able to tell us how it does or doesn't? In words without any equations, is how I define "tell".

Andy

jkeny said:
Yes Colin, thanks for the links - just returned to this thread now - the 8ball is exactly it.

I've also seen it done in marble on Susan Parkers website: http://www.susan-parker.co.uk/susan-speaker-sphere.htm but I don't think she used JX92S drives, they look like other Jordan drives.

I was hoping somebody had done this already and could give a review of how it sounds and maybe where they may have sourced the buoys? I thought the buoys were the quick & easy way to achieve this at little cost but I find that modern buoys are not rigid plastic but inflatables now.

John

Just noticed your post ! I developed the Highballs - the wooden round enclosures, but I'm not a manufacturer as Colin thought, just a hobbyist trained in product design.

I had the enclosures turned by a production turner out of solid blocks of American Black Walnut, they have walls just over an inch thick.

In answer to your question they sound lovely, detailed, good imaging, but they need support from a sub woofer if you like listening to bass heavy music. Can be bright if partnered with more modern receivers, which in my opinion are mixed deliberately to accentuate treble and bass. Good amplification with a flat response gets the best out of them.

My next cabinet was the Longballs based on a TL design. These don't need any supplementation for bass when listening to music they are fantastic !

Finally my next project is the MLTL 48's...

Attachments

• highball-stand.jpg
    highball-stand.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 317
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.