Juma's Easy-Peasy Capacitance Multiplier

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Looking at some schematics and I've just confused myself.
The Gtose/MJ cap mx has a BD139 and a 2sc5200 on the positive rail.
On the XRK SLB we see a BD139 but the 2SA1943 on the positive. Can anyone clarify that for me please.?! Seems strange to me that there is a transposition of device polarity.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The Darlington version in post #497 is quite a bit more resistant to instability / undesired oscillation. And if you connect its intermediate bias resistor "R4" to the rail instead of the output, it responds a lot faster to an immediate step-down of output current (Iout switches from 95% to 5% of max load, in 2usec).

The Darlington version in post #497 is quite a bit more resistant to instability / undesired oscillation. And if you connect its intermediate bias resistor "R4" to the rail instead of the output, it responds a lot
faster to an immediate step-down of output current (Iout switches from 95% to 5% of max load, in 2usec).
The schematic in post 3497 is reproduced here. R4 connects the base to the Ground.
Can you please clarify your statement on R4?

CAP-MX-GTOSE-MJOHNSON_SCH_R1.png

T

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I've built a couple up and tested this afternoon. One of the rails out of the 4 won't trim. It remains at the full available voltage despite manic twirling of the trimmer resistor. Only on this one. I've noticed the pot won't 'click' at either end of its travel so I assume I have a bad pot.?
Or are there other issues that would portray this behaviour?

IMG20220910160149.jpg

Update....found a short on the bd140 soldering....my bad. All good now ! Didn't hurt anything...solder cleaned up and it works as it should .

Last edited:
One of the rails out of the 4 won't trim.
Thanks jimk04 for the info, I do appreciate that!
I have five similar variants of Gtose/Johnson CapMxs and have today tested two of them on a couple 100W/22Ohm resistors. One of the rails couldn't trim too. Try to readjust other potentiometers because it seems that one of them is at the upper or lower limit.
I have tested them a bit harder at +/-36.2V until dummy load became too hot. Ripple was about 1.6VRMS. I intend to use two such separate power supplies for my AN.
Good luck

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That circuit is not the subject of this thread. Maybe there is a dedicated thread elsewhere and you can ask there. Not sure how that Gtose/MJ circuit ended up here.

The point of a cap Mx is to minimize the need for bulk capacitance. 35,000uF is a very large one. You need to smooth the rectifier ripple to a certain extent but it depends on your load (current draw). Low ESR is not needed or desired. You want high ripple current rated caps there as low ESR will cause a high charging current and more than necessary heating of the cap.

As a reminder , in these cap multiplier circuits , the large electrolytic cap before Bi polars or MOSFET takes the brunt of the ripple .
P = I^2 * ESR , so suggest selecting a cap that is designed with a low ESR , and can handle the ripple .
With the circuit Mark , Prasi and XrK971 have been discussing , Post #607 , this would be C2 and C6 = 35KuF .

For the darlington set up in post #607
Vout = Vin * ( voltage divider set up by R2 , the trimmer and R3 ) - Vbe1 - Vbe2

A softer start has been discussed . Increasing C4 and C8 will give the circuit a softer start .

As mentioned , suggest by passing C4 and C8 with something like 10nF .
IMO the Sprague Orange drop 716p is very good in this application.

Reactions: 1 user