John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what, if the correction still works the data is complete, no improvement. Dont all CD players buffer the data then clock it from there so your read speed can vary a lot as long as the average is correct? So again no improvement.

Unfortunately in a CD-player the data integrity isn´t sufficient to ensure that no difference in analog signal quality will happen.

You are right, all chip sets for cd decoding and reply have a buffer. In the early days mostly an external memory chip though.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
TNT, you really should study the science on the subject how humans perceive reality. As it is, you are just making stuff up which is not informed by a lot known science. To some extent all humans have a very distorted and self-constructed perception of reality, including you (and me, and everyone else). Nothing bad about saying that, its just part of being human.

There you go - you just proved my "thinking" (NB!) in my above post ;)

Guilty as charged.

//

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
TNT, you really should study the science on the subject how humans perceive reality. As it is, you are just making stuff up which is not informed by a lot known science. To some extent all humans have a very distorted and self-constructed perception of reality, including you (and me, and everyone else). Nothing bad about saying that, its just part of being human.

Unfortunately the physical world - ie physical reality - is profoundly non- intuitive so statements like yours above come as no surprise. If ferrites indeed make a difference in the audio band there is a rational explanation. And you should be able to measure it. So far I’ve seen evidence of neither in any discussions on the subject.

I agree it should be measurable. It may have just been something pathological to the situation, since there was RF in the vicinity and multiple possible ground paths. In any case, I was not working on evaluating ferrites at the time, so it was it a distraction. If anything at all, I claim a perceptual experience I was not expecting and the experience changed with a cable swap. While it says nothing about a possible mechanism, it may suggest a type of scenario where people tend to implicate ferrites (perhaps as they may tend to suspect the last thing they ate when they unexpectedly become nauseous).

Unfortunately the physical world - ie physical reality - is profoundly non- intuitive so statements like yours above come as no surprise. If ferrites indeed make a difference in the audio band there is a rational explanation. And you should be able to measure it. So far I’ve seen evidence of neither in any discussions on the subject.

I'm sure there's a rational explanation to everything in this universe... Except sometimes, most of the times, we don't know it. Sometimes we find an answer, and we're happy, and we share it, or we hide it, it's all legitimate, that's what makes life interesting. Other times we don't, and we keep looking, or asking.

On the contrary, stating there's a KNOWN explanation to everything is only reserved for the deities.

I once had a physics teacher with enough guts to say right at the beginning of his class: "Guys, everything I say is based on simplifying assumptions". That translate to "the truth, but not all the truth".

...If ferrites indeed make a difference in the audio band there is a rational explanation. And you should be able to measure it. So far I’ve seen evidence of neither in any discussions on the subject.

As has been pointed out already, when both conductors carrying transverse currents are wound through a ferrite core, a common-mode (CM) choke is formed whose primary affect is adding impedance to CM currents while ideally not affecting transverse mode currents. However, due to asymmetrical characteristics small amounts of series inductance can be added to the individual conductors passing through the CM choke.

When used in AC line circuits a CM choke can introduce a beneficial high CM impedance to the AC mains connection, reducing mains noise CM currents between chassis. There has been no data I have seen which shows a deleterious affect on the operation of power supplies, especially linears. I have also not seen any data supporting a negative impact on audio quality due to AC mains CM chokes, indeed many including me have reported the opposite. They can also be used to improve power supplies via inclusion on the DC lines post rectification, and pre-regulator or capacitive multiplier.

In an IDEAL unbalanced line-level interconnect system winding a CM choke on such a cable will have no effect on the transverse currents within the cable, however in many or most audio systems with unbalanced interconnects there is indeed audio currents taking alternate paths, and therefore a CM choke will pose a series impedance to this current, perhaps altering the sound. And asymmetries in the CM choke construction can add undesirable inductance to the internal conductors themselves, creating a LP pole with the parallel capacitance of the cable.

Series inductors in an audio circuit have long been used in professional audio, indeed many of the recordings valued for sonic characteristics have been made with circuits having ferrite inductors in the RF suppression circuits of equipment inputs and/or outputs. The well-regarded Jensen 990 discrete op-amp has inductors in parallel with the input pair emitter resistors to lower noise as well as in a series output isolator, and this circuit has been lauded many times for it's sonic attributes and has been used in many types of pro audio equipment. The most modern designs like JCs do not need inductors for this purpose and I would opt for his approach; I mention the 990 only to say there are a lot of recordings made with them people love the sound of...

Of course the devil is always in proper implementation: proper design will ensure staying in the linear portion of the ferrite's BH curve and away from saturation. Some will say any non-linearities ferrites cause will have to be corrected with evil NF....and so it goes...

Cheers!
Howie

When you clamp a ferrite over the mains and ground wire (ie common mode) you simply raise the HF ground loop impedance and convert some of that into heat energy in the ferrite material. In doing this, you may also divert some of the noise to a different loop path, since the loop path is highly frequency dependent. ...
Would the ferrite affect the characteristic ringing due to rectifier switching?

Thanks for the reminder. A quick search turns up this, and it makes very good sense to me. Even though I knew Charles Hansen by reputation only, I think he had a great way to deal with the unknown.
Thanks for the link. My experience is close parallel to findings of CH. I am currently devising ways to record and discriminate these low level signatures/changes caused by the likes of ferrite snapon filters. Hi Andrew, thanks for the lesson, I do understand the theory. One counter to your otherwise correct information is for example the situation of an el cheapo portable Radio-Cass on two wire AC cable. Sure the cheapest tx/bridge/cap psu stage possible, maybe zener stabilised transistor as a regulator somewhere so expect such items to be prone to mains borne noise. Clipping a ferrite around the load end of the AC lead does have the expected outcome of reducing audible noise floor.

However invariably ime a low level but ever present hard glassy characteristic is 'injected' into the sound which is all the more revealed by the fact that mains noise caused masking/noise floor is lowered !. The listeners first reaction might be that the subjective sound is indeed 'clearer' or 'brighter', but continued listening reveals this to be due to false detail and once detected becomes strongly fatiguing. Removing the ferrite restores 'random' AC line noise and associated maskings but also removes a constant or stationary 'wrong' sound characteristic that can become especially noticeable on particular programmes.

Dan.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
"Hi Andrew, thanks for the lesson, I do understand the theory."

No lesson intended, and if it came across like that, I apologize.

But, in all honesty Dan, do you expect me to accept your findings at face value without a shred of explanation or proof?

Keep in mind, EM theory is one of the best understood branches of physics (just ask JN). So, no point in saying the sound is hard 'n glassy without telling us why. If you invoke a change in noise floor as the reason, then if you can hear it as you say you can, it will be measurable with a sound card given the current performance of those types of instruments (-140 dBV with 50 averages quite achievable nowadays).

There is that 'claim' word again. Should we take it out of the vocabulary? Or make it a command "Thou shall not make a claim" and keep the straight-jacket ready for anybody that the constabulary has deemed to have made a claim. What next? A noose?
I'm not sure which internet forum you are citing about. On this forum, it's more of "Thou shall expect challenges when making unsubstantiated claim".

And can we have a proper definition of the world "audiophoolery" as my Webster seems to have either omitted it or it is not a proper word?

Is it just a pejorative? Definition of pejorative: "Adjective, a word or expression that is pejorative is used to show disapproval or to insult someone." Yep, that sounds about right.

Seriously though, it really does sound like freedom of thought and expression is being clamped down upon. Galileo would not approved, he was guilty of making a 'claim' and it took 350 years for the said 'authority' to say sorry.

So what is the expression, something about a bath, water and a baby? :rolleyes:

If somebody is guilty of fraud, which seems to be the added implication, then there are other bodies out there to deal with that. Not here. In the meantime, let people make claims, some of them might even be true. Is that so horrible?
Again, I'm not sure which internet forum you are citing about but there is no such written or unwritten rule on this forum that clamps down the freedom of expression. As for thoughts, until it is expressed in words, how does one get clamped down?

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
"And it's the same with ferrites. It doesn't really matter if you put them on the AC side of the power supply, the DC side of the power supply, or in the signal path itself -- they are still going to create a similar sonic imprint on your system. And again, I have no plausible explanations whatsoever. Nonetheless, I have performed these tests enough times to be confident in the results." [Charles Hansen]

But where were the measurements? Surely in this day and age, that's the first thing one would do to try to isolate: exactly how, why, when, because etc?

I am most comfortable with instances when cause and effect can be demonstrated. I much prefer it that way. But maybe every phenomena cannot be that way, for example I am not yet totally convinced about Jack Bybee's 'Purification Devices' and I am sure others here are too. Yet I tolerate the fact that some like what they do.
More accurately, "some like what they think the product does."
I am yet to hear them work, but that does not mean they don't? The explanation is that they work on some quantum level, perhaps, but as Feynman said, nobody understand quantum mechanics.
More accurately, "one of speculations is that".
So I still have an open mind on Bybees, even if cause and effect is something I don't see.
Just curious, if I claim that I can out run a cheetah in 100m sprint, would you treat it with open mind?
I am working on speaker distortion measurements right now and what I am looking for, only cause and effect will satisfy me. If they are successful, it will become an explanation for what RNM said early, that putting an 8 Ohm resistor across the speaker causes a noticeable increase in sound quality.

He perceptively said he felt that it was the back-EMF of the speaker. I believe he is instinctively correct, and I am setting out to prove it. I have heard that sonic improvement too. Many have. I have already proven to satisfaction (peers) that the back-EMF of a driver is a measurable impedance. That gives me a number that changes with frequency and can also be used mathematically. Some maths have indeed emerged that show it proves that the motion, the sound or dBSPL of the driver, is directly correlating to the value of that back-EMF impedance, because it impedes the current through the voice coil. No claims as things have a stage or two to go. And it will conform to standard, and cause and effect. It is the cause that should come as a surprise, but some will say "should have seen that" - so that is the correct process...

The idea here is whether this 8 Ohm parallel resistor causes lower harmonic distortion heard in the driver and that it can be measured?

If this is the case, then the mechanism I believe will surprise, I even tried to explain it to Earl Geddes, but he would have none of it. But the measurement will be everything. What is interesting is this, earlier measurements with current sources (so-called current drive) actually points to the measurement that I have devised will be successful. The distortion changes when you go from voltage to current drive. Thiele pointed to something about reactive current five decades ago (I live in Sydney where Thiele-Small made their mark) and has stuck with me. So I am hopeful.

If successful, I will have it peer reviewed among my kind of people before going fully public, it will be open to falsification. So now my 'claim' will become validated. I am setting things up right now and very carefully.

BTW, I have come across a world class mathematician who said that maths can't be falsified. I would love anybody here to comment on that. What did he mean? I think I know what he means, but do others?
When in doubt, measure the sound. It will show if the audible soundwave can be confirmed or not. That is unless you don't believe that not everything we can hear is measurable.

Exactly what happened. For fun, i tried to re-paint the CDs with aluminium painting: No luck, as expected.

You tried to hand paint bits back onto a CD? :confused:

"And it's the same with ferrites. It doesn't really matter if you put them on the AC side of the power supply, the DC side of the power supply, or in the signal path itself -- they are still going to create a similar sonic imprint on your system. And again, I have no plausible explanations whatsoever. Nonetheless, I have performed these tests enough times to be confident in the results." [Charles Hansen]

But where were the measurements? Surely in this day and age, that's the first thing one would do to try to isolate: exactly how, why, when, because etc?

I don't have measurements, but I can tell you the only successful placement I've had, I didn't place.. in my CDP there's several and it's better with them. Sometimes they have done nothing, but most of the time I just get poor sound. I use SE cables.

+1

I think that some personalities will tend to start expressing odd believes when they come to the realisation that they seem not be able to keep up with or understand the rational part of the world. They start to feel "outside". The creation of an own defined universe with own rules and realities becomes a very comfortable escape pod. With this new universe, the inventor can be as accredit-able as those in the real world - they become an expert, an equal. It's kind of a defence system so that they can still be in "the grove". And it's a strong armour as it is only the inventor that is the ultimate judge of right and wrong in that realm. It's a really "neat" construct - like a drug addiction. But like a drug addiction I'm sure that between the deep intoxications, the addict suffer remorse and would like to get out of it. But the simplest way is as always - the next fix. Of snake-oil.

//
+2

Status
Not open for further replies.