John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except there is no energy, you don't need to ponder Gibbs a sharp passive filter can ring the passive components can only remove energy. Or build a square wave by adding harmonics the ringing goes up in frequency as you add energy.

I meant the energy in the overshoot; if the magnitude remains constant but the temporal width gets smaller it means there is less energy in it.

As I've said, in the wikipedia paragraph RNMarsh quoted, it was the first time I've read about a possible elimination of the overshoot when approaching an infinite number of terms.

A clarification on the bolded part..I put a sheet together to add two frequencies.

Blue is 17.5 Khz
Orange is 22.5 Khz
Grey is the addition of the two
yellow is 20 Khz.

Note that the sum of 17.5 and 22.5 undergoes a 180 degree flip every time red and blue sum to zero.
jn

So if I play a 175 hz sine and 225 hz sine it will sound like one 200hz sine. This implies a trumpet and a clarinet played a tone apart will sound like a piano and out of tune.

Last edited:
So if I play a 175 hz sine and 225 hz sine it will sound like one 200hz sine. This implies a trumpet and a clarinet played a tone apart will sound like a piano and out of tune.
Interesting, your reference of a Piano. There is up to 3 strings on single piano notes. All the talent of piano tuners is to shift them slightly to give a subtle vibrato. But, of course, we only hear one note, modulated in amplitude.
It is also what allows our ears to imagine the difference between a D-sharp and an E-flat that should be separated by a coma (cf:blue note) but the same key on a piano.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Just double checking. So you believe that such comparison will net you accurate results on live sound vs recorded sound. You are certainly entitled to believe whatever you want to believe but as someone already mentioned, not all share your belief.

Is this a popularity contest? Why bring that into the conversation? It sounds so ignorant when talk like that from you or anyone brings in such comments.

It is a way that you can get a clue or clues by using your ears only. Of course, you are free to use test equipment instead or do it all on paper. Some people might want to try it first and see what differences there are and why. By asking silly questions already answered make me wonder if you know what you are talking about at all.

But, thanks for your opinion. It is so helpful.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
It is also what allows our ears to imagine the difference between a D-sharp and an E-flat that are separated by a coma (cf:blue note) but the same touch on a piano.
Monk played notes in between the keys ;) Thelonious Monk: Making The Piano Hum : NPR

"On Thelonious Alone in San Francisco, Monk also plays three of his own classic ballads with minimal improvising, illustrating a few ways of framing the melody and his carefully worked-out disharmony. Monk could seemingly bend notes on piano, by striking two adjacent keys and quickly releasing one. The short note seems to slide into the held one. In "Reflections," he's very particular to bend one note in the melody every time it comes around. It's one aspect of his art in microcosm: a tiny reminder that, for all his looking back, he found new things the piano could do."

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
sigh...just look at the plot.. 20Khz in, 17.5 Khz out.

And now, your trying to reduce a technical discussion into "is it audible"?

LOL.

jn

:) Just means you are making uncomfortable progress.

Keep going.

One issue, from listening plus Gibbs info, seems to be transients and high density transients is a problem for 16/44 to do well enough to not be heard as a blur or smear. Or, as a splash of high freq sound.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
This is where Jn's argument against discussing the audibility well and truly breaks down.
I do not argue against discussing audibility at all.

I do object to claiming it doesn't happen because somebody cannot hear it.

When a 44.1 file is upverted to a higher rate, any information lost due to the 44.1 rate cannot be recovered. So the test that I balked at, comparing the 44.1 rate and the upsampled version made from that 44.1 file, cannot show any difference. (Assuming of course, that the 44.1 output filter is good).

The correct test in that case is to take a high rate file and compare it to that same file dropped to 44.1.

jn

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Interesting, your reference of a Piano. There is up to 3 strings on single piano notes.

I rather enjoy sometimes listening to recordings on a single string piano. David Klavins in Hungary makes them Una Corda - Klavins Piano and they are used to good effect by Nils Frahm, if you like his sort of music...

Klavins has also made a couple of bonkers pianos. These DO use 2 stings in the bass, but each are several metres long ending up with the largest piano being 4.5m tall. If you want to hear a piano with its own spiral staircase then there is a 24bit download here SOLO | Nils Frahm . I forgive the fact that the microphones are inside the piano in this case as you get to hear all the richness and resonance that the performer does. Not to all tastes but all the decay you can handle.

Attachments

• klavins_370.jpg
    klavins_370.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
The sum of the two frequencies show a 20Khz signal, amplitude modulated, and where it goes to zero modulation, sign inverts.

I suspect that complex waveform would never be confused with a pure sine.

jn

Fair enough :) The sine waves you posted, similar to the animation I posted, how do you think it sounds and where did the 20kHz wave come from, does it actually exist?
Well, first, I cannot hear 20K.;)
if we scaled back to 2k maybe...

If you look at the summation waveform, it does have 20k. But every modulation lobe has opposite polarity.

The really interesting thing is, if I brickwall the composite grey waveform, the output will be 17.5Khz. With sufficient taps, it will be steady state as well.

jn

Status
Not open for further replies.