Hi Roger,

I didn't understand the question.

Regards,
Lester

Hello
On the JLE website
"Input coupling caps layout can accomodate to 7.5 x 7.5mm 5mm pitch poly caps."

For example

Product Information: PMLCAP Technical Notes/Hybrid, Capacitor, Power Supply Units RUBYCON CORPORATION

https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/Rubycon/35MU475MC44532?qs=T3oQrply3y8O6E0%2B2WhPog==

Best regards
Roger

D

Deleted member 148505

Originally Posted by bobo le chat View Post
Hello
Thank you.

Have you tried poly caps?

Best regards
Roger

Hello
On the JLE website
"Input coupling caps layout can accomodate to 7.5 x 7.5mm 5mm pitch poly caps."

For example

Product Information: PMLCAP Technical Notes/Hybrid, Capacitor, Power Supply Units RUBYCON CORPORATION

35MU475MC44532 Rubycon | Mouser France

Best regards
Roger

Hmm I haven't tried other caps aside from 4.7uF WIMA that was used in my ASR build.

D

Deleted member 148505

Mean Well SE-450-48

I have here a mean well SE-450-48 for my client, Vout can be adjusted from 39V to 55V (OVP triggering).

Indeed, the fan is loud and cannot be mitigated, so we've decided to just remove the upper cover and fan.

Quality is good and dimensions are substantially larger than typically sized LRS-350-36. This was just 60+USD last time, now the price is more than 70+ USD...

Attachments

• 240773035_559530208569751_1750453358319702472_n.jpg
    240773035_559530208569751_1750453358319702472_n.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 596
D

Deleted member 148505

I made the recommended modifications by Lester, replacing the rubycon capacitors with ceramic ones and inserting the ELNA SILMIC II on the AVDD.

First impressions from listening after the modifications - I have a pleasure of listening to music. There is detail, plankton, good decay, air and dark background.

This is what I like.

And it does not make me tired.

So I will not go any further and I have no intention of putting capacitors in the opamps feedback. I remember the rule: less is better.

I tried higher value on AVDD and it improves the sibilance. So I have returned 100uF recommendation value for it (it is the easiest mod to perform, though you need soldering iron with just the right temperature, otherwise the PCB traces might get peeled). I prepared a PDF for list of modifications, I will send it through email.

D

Deleted member 148505

I made the recommended modifications by Lester, replacing the rubycon capacitors with ceramic ones and inserting the ELNA SILMIC II on the AVDD.

First impressions from listening after the modifications - I have a pleasure of listening to music. There is detail, plankton, good decay, air and dark background.

This is what I like.

And it does not make me tired.

So I will not go any further and I have no intention of putting capacitors in the opamps feedback. I remember the rule: less is better.

Can you try to remove all caps on C11 and C16? Aviv has reported that 1uF on C11 and C16 produces metallic sound. When I removed it on my module, I confirm that removing them makes the sound more natural.

I removed capacitors C11 and C16 as suggested by Lester. The sound is very good. And it sounds very natural. I have not been able to do a-b tests, of course, and it is difficult to indicate if my impressions are not subjective. But it seems to be much better.
Thank you Lester.

D

Deleted member 148505

I removed capacitors C11 and C16 as suggested by Lester. The sound is very good. And it sounds very natural. I have not been able to do a-b tests, of course, and it is difficult to indicate if my impressions are not subjective. But it seems to be much better.
Thank you Lester.

Nice! I have updated the PDF. Please ignore all other Sylph-D200 mods previously posted here, and use only the latest PDF.

Also Sylph-D200's strength is in the bass-midrange department. This amp is unbeatable when used in a biamp configuration, based on multitone test by Amir, distortion is very clean up to 3kHz. We can select crossover frequency at 3kHz, then use another amp for the highs, a 20W amp will suffice since average power at high frequencies for most music content is significantly lower (see attachment)

I also have updated the pricing in our website due to increasing parts cost, since 2020, some parts now cost 150% to 200% higher.

Regards,
Lester

Attachments

• Sylph-D200 V1P(2) mods diyaudio.pdf
    843.9 KB · Views: 155
  • JLE SYLPH-D200 Multitone Measurements TPA3255 STEREO amplifier board DIY.png
    JLE SYLPH-D200 Multitone Measurements TPA3255 STEREO amplifier board DIY.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 320
  • biamp average power.PNG
    biamp average power.PNG
    6.5 KB · Views: 303
Better without PFFB

As an experiment, I removed PFFB. I've been listening to different kinds of music for a long time. And I think this configuration (without PFFB and with all the modifications recommended by Lester) suits me best. Maybe there is not as much detail in the treble, but it is simply better, more believable and enjoyable. And I think I will stay with it. Unless Lester suggests some further improvements. :)

D

Deleted member 148505

As an experiment, I removed PFFB. I've been listening to different kinds of music for a long time. And I think this configuration (without PFFB and with all the modifications recommended by Lester) suits me best. Maybe there is not as much detail in the treble, but it is simply better, more believable and enjoyable. And I think I will stay with it. Unless Lester suggests some further improvements. :)

You can also replace C19 with 100nF 0603 capacitor for more depth in sound.

If you want more slam / dynamics, you can replace the input coupling caps with Nichicon Muse BP 10uF (Green electrolytic 25V/35V/50V). Tradeoff is that smoothness and fine highs from Elna Silmic II will be reduced.

I am interested in building mono blocks using the SYLPH-D400M TPA3255 PBTL amp modules and the Mean Well SMPS. Have the optimized PFFB components used in the SYLPH-D200 TPA3255 BTL modules been implemented in the PBTL modules too? I will use these with balanced sources.

If I want to build the amp as a dual mono stereo amp using the PBTL modules, can I connect the two Mean Well SMPS to a single switched IEC inlet?

D

Deleted member 148505

I am interested in building mono blocks using the SYLPH-D400M TPA3255 PBTL amp modules and the Mean Well SMPS. Have the optimized PFFB components used in the SYLPH-D200 TPA3255 BTL modules been implemented in the PBTL modules too? I will use these with balanced sources.

If I want to build the amp as a dual mono stereo amp using the PBTL modules, can I connect the two Mean Well SMPS to a single switched IEC inlet?

Yes optimized values are already included and opamp gain has been increased to 1.5x

There should be no problem if you connect the 2 power supplies to a single switched IEC inlet. You can use the wiring I used in my ASR build, the chassis gnd is only connected to IEC earth, power supply earth, and through 1nF cap connected to signal ground of the input terminal.

I will post THD measurements of Sylph-D amp modules by mid Nov. to mid Dec. I just received E1DA Cosmos ADC and still waiting for Loxjie D30 DAC

D

Deleted member 148505

Tried the Burson V6 Vivid opamp.
Input coupling cap used is Nichicon Muse BP.

Initial impression is that the sound is very lively, specially the voice and percussions. No harshness in the highs and sounds natural.

Attachments

• 247753746_611059753258385_1699777842870483263_n.jpg
    247753746_611059753258385_1699777842870483263_n.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 469
D

Deleted member 148505

I have yet to find a suitable input coupling cap. Nichicon muse BP is not as smooth as Elna Silmic II it also has a noticeable distortion unlike the elna, but I like this for pop / hiphop. The treble and bass is just right. I'm using this amp module in my computer desk. I'll put this in a case soon.

D

Deleted member 148505

So I have here Sylph-D200 modules with slightly different configurations: 6.8uH / 10uH inductors etc..

Without breaking-in the input caps, the one with smaller diameter ELNA Silmic II definitely sounds clearer and has more pleasing "effects", this cap is the one I've used in TICore260BTL.

Once my order arrives (next week), I will be changing all input caps of Sylph-D200 with the said cap. (Elna Silmic II 10uH 35V 5mm diameter)

Attachments

• sylph-d200.jpg
    sylph-d200.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 337