JLE TPA3255 Build and Modifications

Hello.
just got the latest sylph-D200 board after i had the posibility to test two older boards (also with the recommended modifications).
The first boards already where phantastic and where able to beat much more expensive Class-D Amps ( N-core, NewclassD ).
But the latest board beats them all. I use it with opa 1692 and sometimes with 1642/1612 and prefer over 1656, but this depends on the chain.
Better dynamics. better textures and tonal balance. Also better separation in the soundstage.
This i heard out of the box, so it only can get better.
Btw. i use the micto-audio Smps which suits very well.

Hello Krautxy.
"able to beat much more expensive Class-D Amps" ?
No mystery : That's what happens when a after some good technical design and thus mesures, you finalize with a "fine tune" using only (good) ears.
Cause not everything contributing to the whole sound is (yet) measured.

And that's what JLe is/does...

D

Deleted member 148505

What do you mean about using 0.01mH Jantzen Air Core Wire Coil AWG13, 1.8mm diameter wire as output indutors. There could be an increase of performances?

It might get hot, if you can find the aircore that was used by cdsgames it might be more suitable.

I have a 10uH codaca 1d17a clone here (same looks as the one used in 3eaudio) and I like this a lot.

Coilcraft is more airy but this codaca is "rounder" sounding, all types of music are suitable with this sound signature. I will try this inductor in my latest Sylph-d200 boards to verify.

Attachments

• 924C66D0-3E0A-482E-A02E-FC2499698704.jpeg
    924C66D0-3E0A-482E-A02E-FC2499698704.jpeg
    455.6 KB · Views: 315
D

Deleted member 148505

Hello.
just got the latest sylph-D200 board after i had the posibility to test two older boards (also with the recommended modifications).
The first boards already where phantastic and where able to beat much more expensive Class-D Amps ( N-core, NewclassD ).
But the latest board beats them all. I use it with opa 1692 and sometimes with 1642/1612 and prefer over 1656, but this depends on the chain.
Better dynamics. better textures and tonal balance. Also better separation in the soundstage.
This i heard out of the box, so it only can get better.
Btw. i use the micto-audio Smps which suits very well.
All Sylph-D200 versions should sound good when recommended modifications are applied. You're the second one who said that OPA1612 sounds better than OPA1656 on a Sylph-D200. I will acquire them next. OPA1692 is inferior sounding than OPA1656, it has less "roundness". I have tried Burson Vivid V6 on my Sylph-D200 module, it has a wow factor on 1st listening impressions but found it shouty on longer listening sessions (too much details maybe?) I will put the Vivid V6 in a different circuit to check it separately. Currently I like JRC4580 and OPA1656 for Sylph-D200 when it comes to high frequency smoothness. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It might get hot, if you can find the aircore that was used by cdsgames it might be more suitable.

I have a 10uH codaca 1d17a clone here (same looks as the one used in 3eaudio) and I like this a lot.

Coilcraft is more airy but this codaca is "rounder" sounding, all types of music are suitable with this sound signature. I will try this inductor in my latest Sylph-d200 boards to verify.
Why Jantzen became hot?
Where to buy codaca?

All Sylph-D200 versions should sound good when recommended modifications are applied. You're the second one who said that OPA1612 sounds better than OPA1656 on a Sylph-D200. I will acquire them next. OPA1692 is inferior sounding than OPA1656, it has less "roundness". I have tried Burson Vivid V6 on my Sylph-D200 module, it has a wow factor on 1st listening impressions but found it shouty on longer listening sessions (too much details maybe?) I will put the Vivid V6 in a different circuit to check it separately. Currently I like JRC4580 and OPA1656 for Sylph-D200 when it comes to high frequency smoothness. :)
Hi Lester.
i tried 1612. 1622, 1642. 1656. 1678., 1692 several muses, sparky. Burson classic and newclassD.
The 16xx all are bypassed by wima mkp 0.1uF between pin 4 and 8. I tried several bypass caps in different values but 0,1uF was the best.
All 16xx sounded to my surprise better than all the discrete opamps which are a lot!!! more expensive.
I will give the 1656 a second chance but till now i prefere 1612 and 1692.
Soon i can change the original coilcraft to the codaca from a 3eaudio.
My speakers are open baffle with a sensitivity of 98dB.
the sylph200 reveals all the differences applied easily with aplomp.

I have mod the 3eaudio 3251 with Wurth Elektronik 7444011715100 and obtain very large improvement, much neutral from low to high, also tighter bass.
https://www.we-online.com/katalog/en/WE-HIDA?#7444011715100

For now, I am very satisfy the Sylph d200 with the VER2923
6DE4DAEB-A198-4D9E-8CD5-FEE1594D3293.jpeg

Today tryed out for decoupling a parallel elana silmic II 4,7 uf and wima MKS2 4,7 uf.
Result less bass and less of sound focus. Returned to SILMIC II uf.
What do you thing trying Audio Note Kaisei NON POLAR 4,7 uf?

I want to bring this amp at maximum level possible. Advices welcome.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Yes, shipments next week onwards will have those RC filters removed.

Attached PDF with latest and simplified mods (only the most important are included).

Modules shipped on September onwards already have some of the mods.
Hi Lester, so the Sylph & softstart boards finally got here a week or two ago. I took off the heat sink and checked if all the new mods were done. I obviously don't know if the C19 mod was done but I'll assume yes. A question..can any of the pins (1-8; or any other connection) be used to externalize a "power on" LEDto the outside of the case?
I'm eager to hear your new 3255 variation compared to your original 3255 board (TI core260BTL) I bought some time ago as well as compared to drMordor's all-in-one 3255 amp.

Thanks, Pete

After a lot of stuffing around on my part ive finally got my Sylph D200 built in a modushop case... running 48v from the meanwell. All of the @JLesterP mods performed and it's sounding really great. Massive thanks to Lester for the support. The sound is much more detailed and controlled than the Shui Yuan board although there's maybe slightly less gain. No drama there though...more than enough to drive my moderately sensitive speakers. My layout is perhaps not as professional as others but I'm new to DIY and happy to hear any critique or suggestions. Interestingly the DC offset at the speaker outputs is 3mv for the left and 10.5mv right channel. Perfectly fine I'd have thought, just an observation. No idea what to expect with class D.

All in all I'm super impressed. 👍

Attachments

• 20220403_120514_HDR.jpg
    20220403_120514_HDR.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 268
  • 20220403_122558_HDR.jpg
    20220403_122558_HDR.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2019
Paid Member
What's the reasoning for only using two big output caps....and in those particular positions?

Thanks, Pete
Those are bulk capacitors in AVDD supply actually, not output caps.
Comparing to fully implement with 4 bulk caps, I feel the bass tighter and deeper with 2 caps, and background become silent a bit more. Mine Sylph d200 is TPA3251, I am not sure that TPA3255 may be better with 4 caps.

Hi Lester, is there any reason (other then heat dissipation) not to trim the meanwell power supply voltage to the maximum rated 51v on the sylph d200? I assume it may negatively impact the SINAD ? Really enjoying the module but now can’t resist tinkering ! :LOL: Op amp rolling soon as well I think.

D

Deleted member 148505

Hi Lester, is there any reason (other then heat dissipation) not to trim the meanwell power supply voltage to the maximum rated 51v on the sylph d200? I assume it may negatively impact the SINAD ? Really enjoying the module but now can’t resist tinkering ! :LOL: Op amp rolling soon as well I think.
Hi, it will affect the SINAD specially on the N part but it will very minimal, so there should be no problem in increasing it to 51V.
Just check if your power supply can do 51V, specially its output cap rating.

Regards,
Lester

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, it will affect the SINAD specially on the N part but it will very minimal, so there should be no problem in increasing it to 51V.
Just check if your power supply can do 51V, specially its output cap rating.

Regards,
Lester
Thanks Lester

I'm using the Lrs-350-48. I haven't checked the output caps but 51v seems within the voltage adjustment range and below the over voltage limit (55.2 volts) ? I've read of quite a few people using the Lrs-350-48 on the tpa3255 eval boards. Still, I'm fairly cautious and don't want to push my luck!

D

Deleted member 148505

Sound mod for Sylph-D200 and Sylph-D400 non-PFFB users: change the 4pcs output filter caps to 470nF, 15mm lead spacing. R71MI3470ZA00J
Will give better details, airiness / highs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user