Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

My gut feeling tells me that sharper shapes used for diffraction work better up to higher frequencies in achieving wide dispersion but smoother ones have less unwanted side effects (like uneven frequency resonse and horn honk).

Regards

Charles

Apart from the shape of the slot (sharp/smooth edged or bubble-like) it's the location of the slot (along the z-axis) that determines its impact on the response.

Nearly all JBL horns, from the bi-radial days up to now, are a combination of a slot near the throat and 'bubbles' towards the mouth, in the vertical, horizontal or both walls. The M2 waveguide can be considered as the culmination of decades of R&D.

Last edited:
I assume the further back the slot is, the better in terms of resonances etc, right ?

In general yes, but the physics of diffraction slots is very complicated.

I have yet to find research that's all encompassing in this respect.

Most research is done using BEM/FEM, because as far as I know, there is no such thing as a unified mathematical theory of diffraction slots.

Last edited:
Yup, horn is pth-1010hf

Attachments

• 20190305_155225.jpg
    20190305_155225.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 317
Is it ok to paint it to make it look more presentable?

Sure! Though according to Boeing it needs a < 400 micro-inches finish for best performance, i.e. essentially hydraulically smooth or in the vernacular, 'smooth as a baby girl's bottom' ;).

Some of the molded horns I've seen were smooth enough to only need a good wax job with the most aerodynamic DIY paint jobs I've seen were either dipped or had a lot of hours of [meticulous] hand rubbing.

GM