Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

The Economist/rationalist in me says: "Sorry, but these are just a few extra reasons to buy Faital-Pro, unless you consider "made in the USA" important enough to pay more than double."

On the other hand, I tend to sympathize with small boutique companies that value traditional craftsmanship.

Attachments

• AE Pricing.png
    AE Pricing.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 410
AETD15M x 4. Executed
No shun to FaitalPro but The AE has the specs I was looking for, thanks to every ones help. If extending the bass isn't to my satisfactory, now I have an excuse to build a giant air pump next year =). I'm pretty certain I'll have more than enough though.

So all drivers have been purchased now! Waiting on a 60cm/23in JMLC horn, wide for the inquiring minds. Unless the ebay guy is a fraud, which I don't think he is, only thing left is enclosure design and......how to split the signal into 3 stereo inputs....or at least 2 if going to run the 15's in series instead of separately. Potentially I may be able to use the minidsp for the latter though I am trying to eliminate the minidsp for purpose of lowest latency.

I'm going to have to hit up pintrest in order to get some enclosure ideas, I can't just build another rectangle, too many people are counting on me to go all the way now XD

Camplo, I assume you've communicated with the ebay seller about the throat diameter?

Congrats on the TD15M's, I am sure these won't disappoint.

You may consider a HQ professional loudspeaker management system like BSS, dbx, Xilica, XTA etc.

Last edited:
Yes, the horn will be intended for 1.5” exit. I’m not sure how this plays into match throat angle, as you’ve noted, I have a throatless driver. I’ve read that a spacer between the driver and horn improves frequency response curve in the high end, so might put that to the test.
I’m hoping I’ve made the right decision for the horn, it’s 60cm but that’s including the round ends that are unique to the jmlc. I’m not sure how this plays into the polar response and directivity. If it were a tractrix, I believe the best polar to be had is where the diameter of the horn and next woofer match. Not sure how to apply that to jmlc.

Excerpt from Olson ...

Do you refer to the LS-11?

In this cabinet the bass response is controlled by a plate that screws over the vent that can be tweaked for room size. The vent is completely shut for small rooms and default is a half-covered vent.

7q4w4yHh.jpg

LS-11-0.jpg

Driver was the famous RCA LC-1A.

LC-1.jpg

… addresses driver design. WHG

Attachments

• OlsonAE137-142.pdf
    150 KB · Views: 81
Yes, the horn will be intended for 1.5” exit. I’m not sure how this plays into match throat angle, as you’ve noted, I have a throatless driver. I’ve read that a spacer between the driver and horn improves frequency response curve in the high end, so might put that to the test.
I’m hoping I’ve made the right decision for the horn, it’s 60cm but that’s including the round ends that are unique to the jmlc. I’m not sure how this plays into the polar response and directivity. If it were a tractrix, I believe the best polar to be had is where the diameter of the horn and next woofer match. Not sure how to apply that to jmlc.

The measurements below were performed by jzagaja for the Auto-Tech JMLC350.
A Polish STX D1500Ti 2" driver was used.
I would expect your JBL to do a little better in the top octave, but it will beam, just like the Tractrix.

I looked at the German horns before and they seem a bit short for JMLC horns, considering the mouth diameter.
Do you know the depth of the horns with a 1.5" throat?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Me too can't stand head in vise flash light beam systems. Sound is compromised off axis and completely unnatural as you move around the room.

Me too. I mean, that's horrible, really wide at the bottom and extremely narrow at the top. Most spherical wave horns behave like that and I cannot understand why so many claim these would be the best and only acceptable horns.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
While I wouldn't necessarily use words like horrible and the like, I agree that an overall wider dispersion is desirable even it was mainly in the horizontal plane.

The performance, namely very bad dispersion, in conjunction with the quite luxurious price leads (well, at least for me) to a that bad price/performance ratio which I cannot call anything but a horrible result. For that money, I'd expect a lot more!

Therefore I suggested the 5352.

Hm, at 16k it's also very narrow with just 30° dispersion. At 10k and below it's 60° over a very wide range though.

It's not my dream horn but the 18s XT1464 performs a lot better regarding dispersion control over the frequency range.