Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

That image is taken from this article on a interesting 2 way for which the 15FH500 and HiVi RT2H-A neodymium are used (use Google Translate).

I guess, the Faital would perform even better if you'd double up the cabinet depth.

Acuhorn_18-820x1117.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one ;)
15TBX100 versus 15PH500.

This is an example where electrical and mechanical parameters (without Mms) are not clearly indicative.
However, given the electrical parameters, all you have to do is look at Mms to know why the 15FH500 is a much better driver for a 2-way that can be powered by (some) tube amplifiers: 188.6 (TBX100) vs. 103.4 (FH500).

The fact that the FH500 is available in 16 Ohms is a nice bonus.

Last edited:
Nice one ;)
15TBX100 versus 15PH500.

This is an example where electrical and mechanical parameters (without Mms) are not clearly indicative.
However, considering the electrical parameters, all you have to do is look at Mms to know why the 15FH500 is a much better driver for a 2-way that can be powered by tube amplifiers: 188.6 (TBX100) vs. 103.4 (FH500).

The fact that the FH500 is available in 16 Ohms is a nice bonus.

Yes, it's like a BD15 that trades SQ for Xmax. I don't know how much SQ (it's substantial on the Xmax front!) but certainly the BD15 would be expected to perform better on distortion with the underhung motor and vastly lower inductance (0.6mH on a 16 ohm driver IIRC)

You've got it Badman.
More or less the same applies to the French customized B&C that jzagaja posted.
However, the FH500 fits Camplo's needs better than both BD15 and Cyrille M38ND76P-2.

@silversprout, you are basically right, but as the observant reader will have noticed,
with this comparison I subtly refer to an earlier comment.

Last edited:
That image is taken from this article on a interesting 2 way for which the 15FH500 and HiVi RT2H-A neodymium are used (use Google Translate).

I guess, the Faital would perform even better if you'd double up the cabinet depth.

Acuhorn_18-820x1117.jpg

I don't think so.
There are remarkable differences between the 15FH500 in 8Ohm vs 16Ohm.

8Ohm need smaller enclosure volumes according to t/s parameter, here seen with acuhorn.

vs 15FH500 with 16 Ohm, different t/s parameters, starting in boxes of 250 liters extremely deep.

I don't think so.
There are remarkable differences between the 15FH500 in 8Ohm vs 16Ohm.

8Ohm need smaller enclosure volumes according to t/s parameter, here seen with acuhorn.

vs 15FH500 with 16 Ohm, different t/s parameters, starting in boxes of 250 liters extremely deep.

Correct!
I had the 16 Ohm in mind, because of Camplo's interest in that version.

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
TF 1525 8 46.0 162.1 5.40 6.240 0710 0637 75.9 12.9 854.0 0.82 ± 2.4 48 97.2

TRUVOX 1525 8 40.0 247.0 5.10 4,000 0.510 0452 65.6 12.8 852.0 0.00 ± 4.0 94 98.9

Both don't fit the datasheet. The 'new' TF 1525 does not have +/-4mm Xmax either, it's +/-2,5mm. The difference to the 2,4 is most likely different rounding at the conversion from imperial to metric. Where did you get these from? I can only assume you either mixed them up with a different model or these were self measured by someone.

I've been on a quest to build my own own reference monitor. In that journey I've come to know the JBL m2. Maybe its highly prized for its flat response but all I see is another 2-way. There are already flat two ways on the market. So not sure what the hype would be around this speaker, beyond having accuracy and spl, making useful for far field as well as near field.
As a full-range solution if a 2 way that took care of sub bass, gets rid of another cross and thats cool. I've found a driver that could be used for the top

FaitalPRO HF146 - 1.4" Compression Driver

A woofer for the bottom can be found. The question is, how is a woofer that is going to be easily responsible from 30hz to ~1000hz going to behave? Lets say we are auditioning rap, edm, or some other deep bass reproduction that causes high woofer excursion, how is the top range of that speaker going to sound? It seems to me a 3 way is almost always better, but I'm not the finally say, the results are, anyone have a strong opinion on this?

A return to Acoustic Suspension pioneered by AR might be the answer needed.
AR-7 and AR-17 Response Curves, etc. - Acoustic Research - The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums

Both don't fit the datasheet. The 'new' TF 1525 does not have +/-4mm Xmax either, it's +/-2,5mm. The difference to the 2,4 is most likely different rounding at the conversion from imperial to metric. Where did you get these from? I can only assume you either mixed them up with a different model or these were self measured by someone.

Both are metric.
The Truvox parameters are from an old datasheet.

I am sure you are aware drivers and the resulting parameters are constantly being changed by manufacturers.

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I am sure that you are aware that drivers and the resulting parameters are constantly being changed by manufacturers.

The parameters are kept consistently as possible. However, the temperature, the air pressure, air moisture are factors that got a lot of influence on the measurement. If they change production details (parameters) of that magnitude, they change the model name/number. But they didn't scrap 'truvox' because of a new model, they scratched it from everything, from the pages, the labels, the boxes, the commercials.

This doesn't change the fact the TF1525 and TruVox 1525 are different drivers.

Maybe there was a different Truvox 1525, but I can tell the 1225 did not change with the name change and the 0815, 0815MR, 1020 neither, I still have one 'truvox' 0815 here and 4 non-truvox, they are absolutely identical, except for the labels. The parameters are very close too, which is quite a feat since they are over 10 years apart in production. Your parameters look more like the TF1525e. I'm really curious to find the differences, please post your datasheets.