Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Line Magnetic LM-555 (WE-555 clone) with 20uF cap in series on AH160 JMLC horn, mic 0.75m back on centre line.

So you just gonna flaunt these FR's in my face when you knoooow its what I desire!? lol!

With that being said, The shape that we have going so far expressed to 35"....why not go to 40" I can fit it, the height will expand to about 22...get a little better loading... 200hz here I come? These round horns are 37"...I can tolerate the width but the height is out of control.

;) You should be a politician or journalist taking words out of context. I made three different pairs of the same type in two years in order to get some result. Add the fourth pair of another back loaded horn in the following year...
Get going please!

Bzzzz, a lot of noise!!!;)

Plz don't insult the people who are carrying this thread currently. I appreciate what they are doing as I do understand the humbleness of their gratitude, never rush a good thing ;)

Last edited:
Eighteen Sound XR2064

Those guys seem to use the NSD1480N with the titanium nitride coated dome, which implies the XR1464 is the obvious 18Sound horn considering the specified 60x40°.
The horn looks similar to upper horn in this stack (posted elsewhere by a guy named Mark > 100?).

Attachments

• horns R 500.jpg
    horns R 500.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 382
In the sense of this thread, but a 2.5 way system to support the upper woofer in the open baffle. The lower woofer supports only in the lowest octaves. Btw these are von Langa A1500.

Since a long time I already had in mind to evaluate the TAD TH4001 horns. Additionally, it is good to have some reference dispersion horns for my own horn studies. These horns measure very good. You can hardly see much directivity changes. This combos works quite nicely up to HF and sounds also nice. There is one open question for me, if 90 degrees horizontal is needed for a small listening room.

An advantage of these radial horns is that they have vertically a small footprint and the centers of sound origin between the two main sound sources are not much away from each other.

th4001_01.jpg

Joined 2009
Paid Member
^ This is sure there is much worst choice of reference Docali! After all this is one of the few design which is accepted in audiophile and proworld as a benchmark design.
I hope you'll share your impression wrt your own horns design.

From my experience with Th4001 the coverage was ok in small room ( let's say 20m2, 5mx4m) for my own preference. Was bothered by other things but not the horizontal directivity behavior.

Last edited:
^ This is sure there is much worst choice of reference Docali!

I am not sure if I got your comment right. Please do not exaggerate the word reference. Would you please comment again your first sentence how it is meant?

It is hard to judge at this stage. I had to create a new cross-over and to turn the middle part of the speaker to bring the woofers nearer to the horn which was possible because of the modular design. I am coming from a round horn SL400Hz with very direct sound, then the Selenium 40x20 horn which was very very good and totally enough for my room. But they looked not properly placed between the waveguides. With the TH4001 I only have the chance to place it on top. I think that you cannot compare it directly with the round tractrix horn as the TH4001 has to spread the sound over a much larger horizontal area and the first impression was that some energy was missing. But the most annoying thing with the SL400HZ is gone if you turn the head to the left or to the right that the sound stage changes considerably.

What I do not understand is the original adapter. It reduces it's diameter for a 2" throat to 40mm in the vertical direction because of the rectangular opening of the horn. It is too short in my eyes. Therefore, I already showed a new adapter a few pages ago. Hopefully I will receive them soon for testing for my 1.5" drivers.

What bothered you with the TADs?

Last edited:
Very interesting are the impedance changes caused by different horns:

ND4015Be_impedance_01.JPG

green = free air
blue = Selenium 40x20 long
red = TH4001

The Selenium seems to damp the middle peak better and loads a little lower. But is was mounted with a nearly 5cm long adapter from 2" to 1.5".

The TH4001 seems to load up to the highest frequencies. I am curious what will do the longer adapter with a much smoother transition from round to rectangular.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well nothing sneaky or any sarcasm from my part, the Th4001 is considered as a reference horn in pro world and amateur for it's own quality.

Some of the 'best' horn ( studio) monitor from 80's use them and proved to be succesfull tools with repeatable results/outcome ( recording and mix produced on them plays well on other systems).
T. Hidley ( which was at the time owner of Westlake audio) decided ( early 80's) to use only Kinoshita's (using th4001) in his control room designs.
As this rooms were the international 'standard' for high end's control rooms, this type of horn is de facto a reference, a benchmark in proaudio ( studio) world.

Very interesting is to see the better loading of the TH4001. I have a test driver for this 18s NSD1480N. It has a pronounced hole between 10k and 20k.

The TH4001 (blue) loads considerably lower for this driver!

NSD1480N_compare_01.jpg

Then i measured the FR near mouth by curving the microphone around the mouth. I was very surprised that you can hardly see much difference up to HF.

NSD1480N_mouth_01.jpg

Joined 2009
Paid Member
What bothered you with the TADs?

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mul...m-spl-low-distortion-2-a-386.html#post5956018

Now that i'am 43yo i suppose i would'nt be as bothered as 20 years ago, that said even when filtered and used with Et 703 i wasn't 100% convinced about the highs, but i'm convinced that the desk ( follow image link in quoted message below) and general layout of drivers plays a role, the 2x12" (KINOSHITA'S RM4/ Pioneer 2401 kind) i've heard all seemed to much directive/ have strange behavior from 800 to 1khz for my own preferences in the room i've heard them ( 2 Hidley's CR in Paris -so soffit mounted, Omega/Mega CR A in Suresnes ( inwall), 2 different domestic rooms one with acoutic treatment approx 20m2 the other 40m2 no treatments) .

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mul...m-spl-low-distortion-2-a-377.html#post5951060

Last edited: