Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I’ve been down OB bass path. 4x AE dipole18 drivers. Ample power driving them. Big room. Not enough spl, dynamic punch and depth for the footprint required imo.

Also, open baffles need space in the rear (ie. cannot be placed too close to rear wall). horns and bass boxes seem to work OK located next to rear wall/corners.

Hmmm............

with numbers like that on the sealed rhythmic (F3 near 31, F9 near 20hz), those are almost identical to the 15" Dayton rss390hf sealed (4.4ft3), and 200w (assuming no loss) makes for 102db@20hz.

Now do 2 daytons in push-pull (slot loaded) for +6db, F3 still 31hz, but 108db@20hz, wow.

Are the Daytons in this list? dB v2 I wasn't going for max SPL. otherwise I would have got the F18V instead:
dB v2
I wanted to go sealed for best low frequency extension and musical transient response, but maybe that is a audiophile myth... I like the sound of the sub with Rythmik's direct servo tech - controlled and tactile sub response. I also wanted a small-ish package as I had limited room. PS. They have diy kits.

I didnt mean to steam roll past your post Mitchba, just trying to keep the energy flowing into my last post.
The links you posted are awesome and your system is awesome and you are awesome too :)

No man, you are awesome!! Sorry for the OT.
Wrt to OB, you must have seen these: OZ by Ozone Design with Acoustic Elegance LO15's

Good luck, sounds like you are on the right path and exploring options. :up:

Last edited:
Here we will have to agree to partly disagree, I guess.
The TBX100 is indeed well controlled up to 1000Hz, but the PLB76's extended bandwith provides additional leeway wrt the crossover.

While the TBX100 is better >500Hz than the BG100 (shown before), I would personally prefer the PLB76 to both.
Believe me there is nothing to be gained by using PLB76 over TBX100 in a home setup. TBX100 is almost perfect for this purpose, the PLB76 worse in every aspect. The PA subbass specials with their heavy and usually well damped cones are really the best hifi midrange drivers. :) This cone damping is really what you want to have to start with in a two-way speaker.

Let’s compare the Acoustic Elegance TD15m vs TD15H, both play almost the same frequency range the M is more efficient, the H has a few ms faster latency...The M does so with less excursion needed....so the M is a better subwoofer with a lighter cone as well...this is what I see.

What's to compare? 'Horses for courses', the 'M' is no sub woofer, it's a higher Fs mid-bass woofer and the other a lower Fs bass-lower mids woofer. Choose based on sub/no sub and/or desired subwoofer's XO.

GM

Here’s a thing. Open baffle sub vs closed/ported.
It seems that because the sub bass waves are so big, they come across as being omnidirectional. Is that true enough that the two types of implications are at least very similar?
I ask because some one spoke up a Linkwitz Riley sub design as being their preference, just wondering if an open baffle sub could suffice in my set up. Open baffle speakers are not used in the studio typically, since they are so room stimulating. My thinking was that sub bass frequency was really no different in comparison no matter the source, unless speaking of horns.

No.

Linkwitz Riley is a type of XO design, so what are you referring to?

No, you'll run out of space, budget to match efficiency.

OB has its charm and if harps, Jackie Gleason or similar mood music, super smooth jazz or similar is all you listen to, your whole system could/should ideally be OB, otherwise needs to be limited to the telephone [250 Hz] - up BW IME.

As you move down lower in frequency it increasingly becomes all about sheer displacement [piston area] and relying on the quality of its harmonics to define it, so we're back to where to put the XO and sealed Vs ported.

GM

Those are differences but they don’t say much with the rest of the details...when I get home I’ll post the modeling pics....basically both woofers are capable of reaching 116db within their limits of xmax at 30hz...I’m trying to understand why one would be better suited for the task...the M does this with less power and excursion making it, to me, the better subwoofer...like I said before, the M only has better group delay but it’s not exactly night and day.

Last edited:

dnd roll

6mm xmax and 10mm xmech...I don't know what happens when the surround "tightens up" at 4mm could you explain?
GM I don't know what happens when you play a woofer below its Fs...could you explain?

The 15H can't even play that loud that low without crossing its xmax

OK I think I remember what happens past port tuning....the majority of the sound is coming from the port...right? Td15m would be tuned to 35hz....Should be good for the majority of content. I'm not seven saying this is what I want to do...I was just trying to figure out why one would pick one over the other. Especially with the low excursion needed from the 15m.

Last edited:
GM I don't know what happens when you play a woofer below its Fs...could you explain?

The 15H can't even play that loud that low without crossing its xmax

OK I think I remember what happens past port tuning....the majority of the sound is coming from the port...right? Td15m would be tuned to 35hz....Should be good for the majority of content. I'm not seven saying this is what I want to do...I was just trying to figure out why one would pick one over the other. Especially with the low excursion needed from the 15m.

When tuned to 30 Hz the H will beat the M like a drum [you appear to be comparing the H @ ~21 Hz], which is the only reason to use it tuned this high above Fs.

No, below tuning [Fb] the box unloads, leaving the driver 'flapping in the breeze' [love these applets to visualize]: Welcome Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

But were're talking about tuning below Fs where the M's excursion, group delay shoots up and peak power handling has already dropped 20 W relative to its 120 W peak when tuned to Fs.

GM

Its my fault for not being specific enough. The td15m tuned to its fs (34.7hz).....vs the td154h tuned to its own fs (21hz)....thats what is shown in the modeling above. So you've explained that the negatives are below the fb/fs.....so above 34hz its all win for the td15m but if you want to play below 34hz, then its all win for the td15h.

I'm on board with that. I was just saying that ported....the td15m seems to have just as many pros as the M if not more. If low excursion is a proponent of sound quality, then the Td15m wins when comparing both as bass reflex.

That's true, however there's a trade-off on both sides.
The M will very likely beat the H "higher up", but since you'll cross at 630Hz the difference may be neglectable.
If you plan to use H across the band, it'll have the edge down low, evidently at a loss of sensitivity/efficiency and with increased excursion.

Between these drivers you'll have to pick your pois... trade-off.
Either a bigger cab with TD15Ms and slightly better efficiency figures, or the TD15Hs in a smaller cab providing more 'authority' (and extension) in the (sub) bass region.
Up to around 500Hz it's often hard to distinguish between 2 drivers from the same manufacturer, despite the differences in construction.

Last edited: