Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

When one uses multiple subs this really isn't a tradeoff because you just add another sub. In my system there are six 12-15" woofers. Three are subs and three are the low end of the three mains. This really is the optimal solution to the low frequency problems in small rooms (room design being seriously important as someone pointed out.)

Understood [and my point], I was referring to the common use of minimal number of very high power handling subs as the trade-off rather than our 'as many as it takes' way.

GM

I was PM'd by someone who wants some links for how to use multiple subs. There are so many: perhaps someone could link to a few that are enlightening. There is the Welti paper and several threads here. I don't remember if I have anything at my sight on this.

No point in my replying only to the PM. I am sure everyone would benefit.

Efficiency values are not a measure of quality or performance per se. These are merely indicative of... the driver's efficiency, and as such dependent on the construction (cone, suspension, motor etc.). In general (sub)woofers are less efficient than midwoofers.

As can be seen, both the Faital drivers are not terribly efficient.
This was illustrated before in the post about amp. power vs Xmax.
There's no free lunch in this respect.

According to Wikipedia:
"η0 - Reference Efficiency
Specified in percent (%). Comparing drivers by their calculated reference efficiency is often more useful than using 'sensitivity' since manufacturer sensitivity figures are too often optimistic."

This is true, if you know what you're actually comparing.

Last edited:
Earl's approach to multiple subwoofers in small rooms (video) (PowerPoint)

Low-Frequency Optimization Using Multiple Subwoofers

Subwoofers: Optimum Number and Locations

Both from Todd Welti

Multiple Subwoofers: Optimize Them With Multi-Sub Optimizer Software Excellent software from diyAudio member andyc

My approach for integrating multi subs (dual subs) with Audiolense. I liked it so much, I ended up getting larger subs ;)

Member DallasJustice approach to integrating multiple subs (4 subs) using a different approach for his JBL M2's, again using Audiolense. What's interesting is that Michael has tried a number of approaches and mentions some pro's/con's with each one.

Earl's approach to multiple subwoofers in small rooms (video) (PowerPoint)

Low-Frequency Optimization Using Multiple Subwoofers

Subwoofers: Optimum Number and Locations

Both from Todd Welti

Multiple Subwoofers: Optimize Them With Multi-Sub Optimizer Software Excellent software from diyAudio member andyc

My approach for integrating multi subs (dual subs) with Audiolense. I liked it so much, I ended up getting larger subs ;)

Member DallasJustice approach to integrating multiple subs (4 subs) using a different approach for his JBL M2's, again using Audiolense. What's interesting is that Michael has tried a number of approaches and mentions some pro's/con's with each one.

A big thank you for the links!

We know that lighter cones add efficiency, but they tend to "loose-it" faster and harder so they are hard to take up to 1 kHz. The heavier cone B&C are very well controlled in this region. And there is absolutely no way that one cannot use the frequency response at the high end of the woofer as part of the crossover. I don't like the low mass woofer cones.

Here we will have to agree to partly disagree, I guess.
The TBX100 is indeed well controlled up to 1000Hz, but the PLB76's extended bandwith provides additional leeway wrt the crossover.

While the TBX100 is better >500Hz than the BG100 (shown before), I would personally prefer the PLB76 to both.

Attachments

• 15TBX100_8Ω_Pagina_1.jpg
    15TBX100_8Ω_Pagina_1.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 15TBX100_8Ω_Pagina_2.jpg
    15TBX100_8Ω_Pagina_2.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 288
  • 15PLB76_8Ω_Pagina_1.jpg
    15PLB76_8Ω_Pagina_1.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 297
  • 15PLB76_8Ω_Pagina_2.jpg
    15PLB76_8Ω_Pagina_2.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
@moray np. Spent 10 years in Calgary, love the Bow River!

@camplo Some food for thought. The monster JBL cabs I have with the dual 15" are tuned to 40 Hz and with a little DSP can get a but lower, but not much being ported. Really stiff cones and some serious output - drums sound like drums when turned up - great transient output. I have an acoustic drum kit in the same room.

But the very bottom octave was missing and I thought to add a couple of subs. I went with dual Rythmik L12 entry level so if I did not like them, I could either sell them or pair them with my Kef LS50's in a 2nd system.

As it turns out, loved them. Added such weight to the sound that I decided to upgrade to a pair of F18's to keep up with the JBL ported bass cabs.

Here is the measured difference between the JBL bass cabs by themselves and then integrated with dual subs:

attachment.php

The only other 15" driver and cab combo I have seen in a 2 way that actually really makes it to 20 Hz is the JBL M2. Mind you there is quite a bit of eq on the production versions.

As mentioned in the link above, even Michael with the M2's opted for 4 subs. And since the release of the M2's JBL has added a companion sub for the M2's.

I know it is no longer a 2 way, but depending on the type of music you listen to and if you truly want 20 Hz to 20 kHz performance...

Attachments

• JBL 4722 bass cabs Blue and Purple Plus Rythmik dual F18 subs Red and Green.jpg
    JBL 4722 bass cabs Blue and Purple Plus Rythmik dual F18 subs Red and Green.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 459
That's impressive Mitch!
The Red and Green extend to <10Hz???

In my country, the blue curve would suffice to shake the walls and terrorize the neighbours.

A short follow-up on my previous post:
The TBX100 is obviously a well engineered woofer, with all the bells and whistles for HQ, high SPL PA use.
It does need some power to come to life though.
The PLB76's higher efficiency (and sensitivity) is a better match to low watt (high-end) amplifiers.

Last edited:
Here’s a thing. Open baffle sub vs closed/ported.
It seems that because the sub bass waves are so big, they come across as being omnidirectional. Is that true enough that the two types of implications are at least very similar?
I ask because some one spoke up a Linkwitz Riley sub design as being their preference, just wondering if an open baffle sub could suffice in my set up. Open baffle speakers are not used in the studio typically, since they are so room stimulating. My thinking was that sub bass frequency was really no different in comparison no matter the source, unless speaking of horns.

That's impressive Mitch!
The Red and Green extend to <10Hz???

In my country, the blue curve would suffice to shake the walls and terrorize the neighbours.

Yes, f3 is 6 Hz in my room. Can make the foundation shake. The measurement was taken at reference level ~83 dB SPL at the listening position some 3 meters away.

See CEA 2010 Max passing SPL: Rythmik Audio • 18" servo subwoofer F18

X 2 subs is more than enough for peak reference music level (not LFE) i.e. 105 dB SPL at 20 Hz, not including room gain. If I wanted more, I would have gone with the vented version, but in practice, this is more than enough for clean concert level at home.