Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Stereophile BS ratings............

Rule of thumb: the best mid-bass is obtained with the lowest excursion possible.

AKA 'Stereopile' among the true cognoscenti, but at least provide proper measurements, so not a complete waste.

Yeah, one of my 'broken record' 'soapbox' mantras: 'If you can see the drivers move, it's not efficient enough!' Unfortunately, in a world of shrinking rooms, disposable income, a tough performance goal to meet these days for the vast majority of folks. :(

GM

A few months ago, I was close to buying a pair of 18Sound ND2080s at 30% of the MSRP. This driver uses the same diaphragm as the ND2060A, ND1460 and ND1480.
It makes one wonder: why design a nice and expensive driver around a rather mediocre diaphragm?

Attachments

• ND2080_8Ω_Pagina_1.jpg
    ND2080_8Ω_Pagina_1.jpg
    519.1 KB · Views: 355
  • ND2080_8Ω_Pagina_2.jpg
    ND2080_8Ω_Pagina_2.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 338
  • Original Eighteen 18 Sound - ND2080 ND2060 ND1460 ND1480 Diaphragm D-Kit 74mm 8Ω_1.jpg
    Original Eighteen 18 Sound - ND2080 ND2060 ND1460 ND1480 Diaphragm D-Kit 74mm 8Ω_1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 350
  • Original Eighteen 18 Sound - ND2080 ND2060 ND1460 ND1480 Diaphragm D-Kit 74mm 8Ω_2.jpg
    Original Eighteen 18 Sound - ND2080 ND2060 ND1460 ND1480 Diaphragm D-Kit 74mm 8Ω_2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 337
GM
My concern about the polar were only for the TMM configuration. With the desired close listening distance, I perceive the lobed polar as more ripples in frequency response @ the sweet spot, which will require more eq to render flat. I thought that with a wide, un-lobed polar as opposed to the short desired listening distance the frequency response would stay true to the driver instead of adding more complexity to the curve.

About sealed vs ported....I am confused between the added dampening of the sealed and the lower excursion, higher linearity probability of the ported...like said if you can see the driver move it’s not efficient enough....well sealed subs are considered to be SQ of the group but it has higher excursion than ported....A sealed midrange has better SQ or no?

Last edited:
The sealed subs most people use to augment a 2-way and/or deal with room modes are rarely comparable to a (big, vented) midbass cab.

What is comparable? Dr. Geddes' sealed or vented Summa/NS-15.

I think most readers of this thread would like to see some plots of the sealed vs. the bass reflex Summa/NS-15 ;)

Last edited:
If keeping excursion low is the goal why would you let me run a sealed sub? Every sub I’ve modeled has higher excursion as sealed vs ported. The Td15m, ported, has the lowest excursion within the subbass of all AE subs I’ve modeled. Group delay is on par with The Td15h (ported)...else wise, all sealed subs obviously have way better group delay. What you say about that?

Sorry camplo if you got that impression.
I am not a proponent of sealed, quite the contrary, as apparent from previous posts.

This doesn't alter the fact that sealed might be preferable, dependent on drivers, cab, room, objectives, wants & needs.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
sealed v ported clip I found interesting:
YouTube

regarding 2-way high SPL/ low distortion combo, mr vince dickason mentions a combo he uses as a studio monitor here:

Test Bench: Radian Audio Engineering 745PB 1.4” Compression Driver | audioXpress

"I almost never have any subjective experience with the transducers that I characterize in Voice Coil’s Test Bench. However thanks to Radian’s generosity, the 2” 950PB samples from the November 2014 issue ended up in a far-field monitor that I designed for my home recording studio. These, of course, have the same aluminum alloy diaphragm as the 745PB. The cabinets were built by my friend and Triad’s chief engineer David Nelson, and utilized a B&C Speakers 15BG100 15” neodymium motor woofer with a NBR surround, an Eighteen Sound XR2064C 60° × 40° 2” throat cast-aluminum horn, and a high-performance passive network that included Goertz foil inductors, Jantzen capacitors, and Mundorf M-Resist resistors.

Subjectively, this speaker is incredibly musical, detailed, and extremely easy to listen to — certainly a goal for all monitors. "

Note: the specs on the B&C woofer dont seem as good as the faital 15pr400. I think..

Some of the sealed vs ported debate that happened earlier is over my head to be quite frank...maybe you can summarize for me why you prefer ported? It’s always advertised that seal is more accurate. Shorter decay, etc etc.

Personally I think it depends on if you want to go active or not, and if you are using a subwoofer. I can't imagine using sealed in a 2 way thats going to go below 50hz, because the movement at low frequencies causes doppler distortion.

If your going with DSP (as you should) and your not too concerned with latency, then you can correct for the problems caused by porting completely using FIR filtering.

MAYBE if you want to go with no dsp, and you had a subwoofer, you might be able to argue that you will get better low end with sealed subs/mids.

personally, I don't think its even a discussion.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Currently running in pair of new Faital Pro 15PR400 and Faital Pro HF108R compression drivers. Very smooth/refined sounding drivers indeed. I can now see why these PA woofers very much suitable for domestic hifi use. Light cones and no crazy peaks upto 1khz.

Modern neodymium magnet woofers are certainly refreshing. So light and easy to handle compared to ferrites.

The HF108R paired currently with 18sound xt1086 horn. Very refined sounding and good extension out of the box. Promising!