Iron Pumpkin(s) and other smaller vegetable animals, Tips 'n' Tricks thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
  • there is no surface mount part left for you to solder; if you're speaking about 1N4148 in parallel to input relay coils, those are through-hole, leads bent ditto to body, with fingers
  • yeah, no need to isolate M1, in your case, since no IC1 needed; you can also use single 24Vac secondary small Donut - no need for centertap
  • instead of 220R Pass-approved resistors, feel free to wire two dozens of Blue LEDs, wherever you want
  • I have no specifically made file for what's shown on picture, having several partial files made in Corel and sent to my CNC guy; will check tonight what I have and e-mail to you
  • hope you didn't order Donuts anything bigger than needed; as known - when Donuts are in same case with AVC, everything is critical....... pics you have are showing more or less optimized physical arrangement

Roger that on no need to isolate M1 when board is used without a remote control. I'll be sure to add blue LEDs as appropriate :wiz:.

All donuts are 10VA:
AN-0124 - 10VA 24V (1 piece)
AN-0115 - 10VA 15V (2 pieces)
I'll be sure to follow placement advice. I'm planning the 3U 400x400mm Pesante chassis with an added inner base plate.

The diodes I am referring to are D1, D3, and D2 adjacent to bottom edge of the heat sink as shown below. It appears they are part of the relay power supply. Without mounting these, it appears the voltage will not reach the relays. Are you saying these are not necessary?

Diodes.jpg

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well, just matter of terminology

2x15Vac usually means 2 independent secondaries, each being 15Vac

30Vct means one secondary of 30Vac, with center tap

first one is easily wired as second one, but second one is hardly replacing first one without butchering work

for Iron Pumpkin you need center tap, so both applicable

I'm using custom made 20VA , static shield + magnetic shield, with twice 30Vct, to juice both channels

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
there are no changes in "old" and later Pumpkins regarding (everything audio) electrical schm nor sound itself

smaller Turtle due to (forced decision by parts market during Covid) use of micro sized Fujitsu relays instead of mini sized Fujitsu relays

there were some practical changes in relay PSU; first gen was separate channel pcbs, and later - when I developed display/Logic control by Papa's insist, I resorted to one big Motherboard, with separate PSU for all relays/Logic

Reactions: 1 users
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
please ignore Quasimodo parts on that board, ZM ooked it up - proper arrangement is set of parts (C+RC) per each half of secondary, while silly ZM put one cell across entire sec

you can either put them (snubbers) on small veroboard, or you can ignore it fully

practically no need there, with decent Donuts

I didn't hear not measure any difference at regs output

That's OK, I measured each secondary on its own, then created the center tap and measured across both secondaries joined together, just as they will be used on the board ;). I was still able to determine a resistor & cap combo that nicely damped the entire secondary.

I've had good success with AnTek transformers being quiet and well behaved. If they cause any trouble, I'll add a steel cover to each one.