Iron Pre Essentials Kits For The DIYA Store - Register Your Interest

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Overhead shot...copy....

View attachment 1294344
Did you shorten your ribbon cable? It looks like the clamps on each end may open somehow, but its lightweight plastic and I sure do not want to break the only one I have. Mine is WAY longer than yours! I guess it doesnt matter, no signal involved, but mine is long enough it isnt very tidy. I will try searching ribbon cable connections and so forth.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have enough for two. I'm leaving it as is

Attachments

• IMG_20240413_161126841.jpg
    IMG_20240413_161126841.jpg
    864.2 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re reading this thread, I thought I forgot about c11 silkscreen being reversed. However I note it says boards marked 2023. Mine are 2021
so this isnt an issue for these boards marked 2021? I soldered it in according to silkscreen, which note says is reversed for 2023. Am I good to go, or do I need to flip the c11 around?

I ask because my boards silkscreen is just like shown, with the + on the right side of the cap.

Russellc

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if 2021 on pcb, neg of cap closer to IRF, so you're good

judging by pic in #3404

you always have "+" marked inside cap circle; additional one outside circle (to allow later check) is, well, additional, additionally placed by Mighty ZM,as addition

:rofl:

so, in most cases addition being proper, in rare cases not so

Russ, You made me laugh. I wonder how many times that I have done this or that and think, 'what were the chances?' Sometimes it is a stupid move and I get it, other times it doesn't hardly seem possible that 'it' happened. About 4 days ago, something fell off of a shelf as I bumped it getting up, and then it fell down and broke my soldering iron in half. Really? Wasn't even heavy enough to do that, right? I temporarily repaired it using old parts, and promptly ordered a new and different station.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Russ, You made me laugh. I wonder how many times that I have done this or that and think, 'what were the chances?' Sometimes it is a stupid move and I get it, other times it doesn't hardly seem possible that 'it' happened. About 4 days ago, something fell off of a shelf as I bumped it getting up, and then it fell down and broke my soldering iron in half. Really? Wasn't even heavy enough to do that, right? I temporarily repaired it using old parts, and promptly ordered a new and different station.
The used commercial hakko I used for years, and bought off swap meet here, broke in half. I was in the middle of soldering and it just folded in half. I did my self a favor and bought a Hakko FX 951. Great rig. I see hakko clones on eBay that are likely as good for a fraction of cost.

The used commercial hakko I used for years, and bought off swap meet here, broke in half. I was in the middle of soldering and it just folded in half. I did my self a favor and bought a Hakko FX 951. Great rig. I see Hakko clones on eBay that are likely as good for a fraction of cost.
Well, I kind of did myself the same favor. The Hakko 888D? dunno, has been not as good as I would like in general. mostly wand troubles. Anyway, found NIB old 963 Hakko bought by a guy had two of them just in case one broke. The first is still working and so he decided to sell the extra one. I am really hoping that there isn't a surprise with this station. It was the predecessor to the 888D. I just didn't want to spend big bucks on what I think should be a slam dunk at anything more than $100. I paid $150 for this one, and $135 for the last one. Geez.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Basically done except signal wiring. I know I can test and set power supply without signal wiring, and assume twister LEDs could be tested as well, as signal wiring is after relay....I 🤔 think?

signal wiring really not having anything with power side of things

take "power" as relative thing in Iron Pre, it's not bloody oven :rofl:

so, yes - read setting procedure and accordingly set everything, whenever you want........ and do the signal wiring whenever you want

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
in my neck of wood, Baku 936D is selling for peanuts...... well, comparing to Hakko prices

not Hakko quality, quite normal, but few tricks are already known

- right away supergluing junction of handle with heater, it gets wiggly with time otherwise

- buying bunch of various Quick 936 tips - that's real deal