Ion Obelisk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Obelisk PSU

Okay, now I have a set of caps. I will try some different versions for the coupling caps. Lets see, what happens.

Anyhow, it would be good to have also the PSU circuit diagramm. I could probably draw it from the PCB's, but having it ready would be nicer ;). It seems to have seperated rectifiers (16 !!! 1N5401) and caps for both of the power and pre-amp channels.

Oliver

It was dismounted, but considered a very good amplifier, those times i had not GEM,

And had not MikeB amplifier...only Aksa was used to compare.

The amplifier, was a little deceptive, as this unit could not face the 55; nor in bass, nor in mids and nor in treble....had some compressed sound..so...dinamics very strange too.

I was very surprised, as i was waiting for much more, and I checked the comparison twice.... if some characteristic could match the 55, some picture and informations had be already published by me...my silent, in this case, was to be gentle with a lot of good guys.

I felt a little ashamed to show you, and i had not courage to tell you my deceptive results, and was made with the best possible Aspen amplifier performance, the 55, had the Nirvana Plus upgrade, and adjusted to the maximum possible quality, done with the aid of Hugh, using daily mails and Chat networks.

Well, íon had nothing more special than the use of more fast transistors, was not tweaked to have it's maximum capabilities, i did not believe that the increase could reach the 55 and i give up of it....but this is not a guarantee that the Ion cannot be adjusted to its maximum too.

The amplifier is excelent...if you do not compare...well guys, so is the life, everything separated show their qualities, as everything has some positive values...but the A to B comparison never forgive a failure...it appears clearly.

The day one amplifier beat Aksa, i will notice imediatelly, but using A to B comparison.... without that, i think we have difficulties to judge, as i do not believe in sonics long length of time retained memories.

Aksa win a very old comparison i made with JLH...so, not only 55, but JLH is a reference too.

As Michael, Graham and Hugh are mine very good friends ..i prefer not to compare those ones, not to put my friends to figth, as each one of them have wonderfull sonics, they are perfect, all together, to any sonic taste, this way i am using both three amplifiers...i cannot survive without them.... i think they are complementary.

They smashed my beloved class D.... desintegrated the Class D trebles (the Aksa)..... GEM transformed my class D voices in sub extract of evaporated bandit horse gases!...... the Symassym bass response sent the class D to the sixth underfloor of hell.

But i can listen my class D also.... in a matter of 5 minutes my ears and brain adjust my perception, and i feel good...but if i put them together.... i will switch the class D off immediately.

I had a Leach Amplifier clone, made in Brazil, long time ago...around seventies i think...i was happy with it..punching bass under my enormous sleeping bed.... strong alike a boat made to face violent sea...and not be dismounted by heavy gauge guys alike me.(340 Pounds)...well, i was happy till the day i installed one ugly and old Sony... a very simple schematic, bootstrapped, and with a lot of things clearly missed..filtering... rail resistors...wrong inductor value, enormous Miller capacitor...well....maybe one of the most simple and worst unit from the whole Sony brand equipments made.... the cassetes i had under the bed in a proper enclosure, fixed with rubber bands, made with rubber extracted from old tires, the ones that use a thin rubber tire inside, to inflate the main tire...very strongly fixed..but cassetes loosen inside...they never shake.... and so, the Sony, having 1/4 of the power produced by my Leach clone, made the cassetes shake for the first time ...the small Sony smashed the leach clone!..... those things are strange..without instantaneous comparison under controlled test...with fair and decent method, a blind A to B controled testing, I cannot evaluate nothing..i think the comparison is our more precise subjective instrument...the human equivalent of the precision instruments the enginneers use to show their amplifier characteristics....( I think the ones that can answer and evaluate..the scopes, distortion analisers, spectrum and others, will not tell them human perception quality...may only indicate probabilities of be good or not good...the final check are always the human ears)

As we can go shopping and buy amplifiers and sound appliances...i could never see instruments buying nothing.

regards,

Carlos

yes but another person might have another headphone or speaker
and so what you hear is what you here my friend

and so subjective assesment of amplifiers based on listening alone is
not a reliable method because the sound you here is the loudspeaker or
headphone

to judge an amplifier one must test it so that all the rights specifications
are correct, the signal must be beautiful and elegant from input to
output

i mastertech think you are assessing audio systems rather than amplifiers
because you make no mention of signal and other specifications such as
freq resp. deviations etc

i hope you guys learn to distinquish one from the other
because the big guys will not take you seriously,because the big guys
preach otherwise and so should you,because the big guys control the
game in England, America, Japan

i mastertech know whats the best audio,it all depends on the individual's
ear and so the ear is the audio judge but not the amplifier judge, amplifiers
are electronic apparatuses and can only be judged by electronic test
equipement, because the signal is electronic

ok

no more bull*****

Mastertech

I am not to much concerned about the big guys, as i have 45 years old, and i was in

the top of the world, and the big guys are not so big as you can imagine...as they can be substituted by a calculator machine.

Go ahead using your method, i hope it can be a helping source to you Master.

The subjective evaluations, as Master is making a deep analisis, are nothing completely precise, evaluations, of course can be different, depending the methods used and the group of people selected for evaluation.

I suggest you, Lumanauw, do it real world and listen to it and have your own conclusions, those evaluations, you will made by yourself, will be something that you can trust.

My ideas, are published to some guys that follow my line of procedure.... the subjective A to B comparison testings, and this can make sense only to those guys.... the "calculator" guys will never accept those things, will be obviously non sense for them.

I am a part of subgroup of persons, inside this whole world forum, that believe in the subjective evaluations because humans will hear.... the ones can evaluate something are humans, not scopes or analisers....so, as you cannot sell amplifiers to Intermodulation distortion, i think will be better to talk some "human" language.

Really Lumanauw, if you really want to know the comparison of quality between Ìon and others, better to do yourself using the method you believe, or simulating if you prefer those data.

You also can place it hear, in this thread or openning a new thread about evaluations and giving to our people a very different result.... we are free to talk and to show our ideas, you also can dennie my methods and show another better way to do the things....you welcome to do that.... free forum, free world, people free to agree or not.

I may be the last to produce something good to trust, to the ones believe that same thopologie will produce exactly the same sound...or the ones that can distinguish 0.001 to 0.01 of distortion...those precise guys, have to talk with simulators, analisers and instruments, they will produce the answers the Enginners are able to listen... I am not an Engineer, i am a Psychologist, i believe we have brain, not sensors or transducers, we have feelings and differences related ideas and world perceptions, and over this base i use to hear music, feeling it...i am not bothering myself with numbers, i already do that every month to pay the bills and to make my personal accounting and this is enougth to me, i do not want to mix those hard life things with my beloved hobbie.

regards,

Carlos

Well guys, do not feel sad, as i may do it again near future, as the final board is

Still here, i did not assemble the final amplifier, made over squared board the test.

Maybe some adjustment here to there, and the comparison made can change.

We are still alive...so... a lot of amplifiers will be made.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Íon.jpg
    Íon.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 967
Nice discussion!!

Hi Carlos and Mastertech

I am user like Carlos of the A/B method to find best amplifier.

I work for a hi-fi shop since many years and i have acces to oscilloscope, distortion analyzer spectrum and others.

I am used to see schematics to repair. When i have a good amp, i take time to measure and listen with speakers. After many years, i can tell that measured performances and listening is not often connected... I can tell harmonic distortion has nothing to do with the sound we listen with speakers (decent amp have low harmonic distortion anyway : i do not mean 0.001%)

What seems to be the best amp are the simpler ones.
As they are simples, they must be a little tweaked (selected parts)
and it is often more difficult to produce those ones.

So the only method to judge an amp is to use it for what it is done! Listening to an amp vs another reveal very rapidly the better one.

Maybe we do not measure the good parameters...

Have a good day :eguitar:

C'est la plus grand verité, aprovées votre conclusion monsieur.

This is real the true, d'acord avec your conclusion mister.

Monsieur Dragondeux, avec gran plaisir j'ecoute vous pour ici

Mister Dragontwo, with big pleasure i am listening you here.

La votre grand experience avec la reserche du amplificateur du puissance sonore, avec la observacion des apareilles du test va produire meilleur precision a votre mots.

Your great experience of research power amplifiers, together the observation with the aid of testing instruments, will result in better precision and value to your words.

I do not speak french, nor German, nor English...but i have a good advantage...i am not shy, and i have not fear to be ashamed.... i am not so important that cannot feel ashamed...because in a matter of 100 years, i will be sand, or dust, and nobody will remember me...so...let's leave the life, the best we can...everyday can be the last day..enjoy your days guys.

I have an advise to the friends that apreciate my foolishes, i already discovered they are more than my hands fingers...so.... having some problem with your mother in law.... call Carlos FM and together, snubberize her...

c'a marche!

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.