Ion Obelisk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fifth of seven

And goes agains

Carlos

Attachments

• a-30-3.jpg
    a-30-3.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,045
Hello Daniel

I would also be grateful if you could provide a larger/clearer picture of the 3X schematics. Does anybody have schematics/modifications, for the Ion Nexus system, they amps I am very fond of. I have been told by some, that the 3X used as a pre-amp offers a better sound than the Nexus pre. Any opinions ? Hope you can help out there.

Roy Lewis

Obelisk 3 and 3X

Hi,

the differences between the 3x and the 3 are

1. Separate power supply for the power amp and bigger cap's in the power supply unit.

2. bigger output capacitor

The sound of this amp depends basically on the quality of psu and ALL the caps in the signal path.

I made some experiments with a separate power supply for the power amp (just a simple 120 VA transformer, normal rectifiers and a big Cap (22'000 uF / 68V) and was surprised:
the sound of my obelisk 3 was "faster", had much more "attack" and was also a bit more transparent :bigeyes:.

I could not imaging what happens when I would build up a dual mono PSU with fast rectifiers, replace the caps in the signal path, rewire the amp with better cable, supply the pre amp with batteries....

The difference after this small tweak was so big that I gave up the whole experiments and started to build up a JLH ;)

Regards

Daniel

3x used as pre amp

I don't know the schematic of the nexus line stage.

Since the line stage of the FM Tuner, the obelisk 3 and 3x are more or less identical (only differences due to the different PSU voltage) I think also the Nexus line stage is based on the same topology.

That's a base for tweaking: I think you can top the sound quality of the power amp obelisk 3x combined with a obelisk 3x used as preamp only with tweaking the power supply of an Obelisk 2.

regards

daniel

I erase it, was a damn accident.

To clear transistor numbers, and to erase other no needed information i copy to Paint, and them goes to ACDSee to crop in the size i need, and reduce to 800 to 600 pixels, also our 100K limit. In those operations, children figthing inside house, a lot of noise inside home, i erase it. Tried to have it again, but already erase i HD.

Sorry, you will have to simulate by yourself to check the things you need.

Carlos

My Lexsh-- Printer damaged, always damage

I will buy another HP, and the double barreled will scream loud on this printer.

When i made modifications on Íon, and tried to print, this crazy printer said a big no to me!

And them i made the damn mistake to erase the Multisim files when trying to make it better, to make it more clean.... was cleaned!.... i search entire computer, using it search features, and loocking inside programs.... no more íon, have only the ACDSee image, the one showed here on forum.

I am real sorry not to help you, i ensure you that is very good in simulations, this way, i think you can simulate by yourself because you will feel good.... can beat a lot of direct coupling amplifiers, could not see problems related to the output condenser, no only because this is not so bad, and good because never burn speaker when burn transistors, but also because i put big value there to not block deep bass.

regards,

Carlos

Hi,

the first part:

The tube like ss amplifier (This is hard to translate, hungarian joke)
HTA-30

Untill today we only discussed valve amplifiers in our magazine. But today we want to show You one solid state amplifier, which topology looks as a valve one. With this is legendary amplifier, we want to explain how we can get romantic valve sound with transistors. The amplifier was planned by Richard M. Hay, who also planner of Radford valve amplifiers. The first version of the amp. was the base of the famous Nytech amplifiers, and receivers, and the popular Ion Systems amplifiers. The current version very close to the Obelisk2, and with some more output devices, higher voltages, and large PSU you can get the MA 400 monoblocks as well.
I hope that we can give a "secret tip" for every DIYers, to get good sound with cheap parts.

How the A30 amplifier works?

This is the promised amp! The A30 amplifier. I think we caused a disappointment for lot of readers. The output power is only 30W/8ohms, there is coupling capacitor at the output, and there is no symmetrical PSU, and there nothing special in the schematic.
OK, what is the problem?

This was the first part.

Sajti

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.