Installing the new 2023 version of LTspice

Then I found as you switch between Transient, Ac Analyst or DC and others it's not functioning or does not remember or does not pick up previous entry, so you have to edit these options and pick one among the commented out entries or have to repeat the entry which is very annoying. Not sure why it's like that, anyone got the same problems?
This new simulator 2023 unfortunately has the same problem.

лтс-17.png

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I remember complaining loudly about this a few years ago until it was explained to me how it works.

It allows you to set multiple directives and save them on the workspace. You can set them as .comments (so they are inactive) or leave them as a directive and pick which one you want when you actually run the sim.

Screenshot 2023-01-25 075850.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-25 075950.jpg

I had an email exchange with Mike Engelhardt about this as well. He was quite stubborn and insisted that this feature was broken intentionally in LTspice XVII. I got the same excuse from Mike, that multi-line comments should be used instead. The problem with this explanation is that the multi-line comment feature was not new to LTspice XVII and was active in LTspice IV as well. So users were already able to use the multi-line comment method if they liked, and there was no need to break the ability to switch between different kinds of simulations in XVII. The tabbed function allows you to quickly check transient and AC simulations after making a schematic change without having to edit the schematic, making those simulations parameters something like session variables.

So I never made the switch to XVII -- the tabbed interface is just too convenient for me to give up. That said, LTspice is free software and I'm grateful to have it available in any form (beggars can't be choosers, as the saying goes). LTspice IV still work fine for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Something I've noticed, one of those weird things. Did LTXVII do this, I dunno...

This is on W11 by the way.

1/ From having no applications running I open a PDF using Adobe Reader DC. All good. Notice the top line of the PDF.

1674842833688.png

2/ Open LTspice (new version of course) and the top line of the PDF changes to something like you might expect from Windows XP. It happens every time. Other programs don't do this as far as I can tell.

1674843102944.png

Can anyone replicate that?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks (y)

A totally different update experience to LTXVII. Very quick, LTspice shortcut I have pinned to task bar is broken (not unexpected I suppose) although the one pinned to Start still works. All in all much more like updating a 'normal' program or app.

Screenshot 2023-01-29 064955.jpg Screenshot 2023-01-29 065020.jpg Screenshot 2023-01-29 065118.jpg

W10 and higher. It will not install and run on XP as far as I know.

I'm running Version 17.1.5 on Windows 7, it seems to be working without issues, even though analog devices states its compatible for Win10 onwards.
I have both versions running side by side (just in case the new version didn't work), I only had to copy my lib and asy files into the new directory structure.

Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That's good to hear. It could be around Vista to W7 that something changed. I know LTXVII won't install onto Vista because I tried a while back.

I've also only just realised that you can update models separately to updating the main installation (at least I think that is how it works). It was probably like this on the previous version (lol). For models only goto 'Tools' and 'Update Components'. It seems to work and the changelog reflects now model updates.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I mentioned it because I happened to notice an entry in Windows search menu for 'LTspice Update'. LTspice was not open at the time but I clicked the icon in the search area and a small Window and progress bar opened and it progressed to 100% and then said it had updated successfully. All without opening LT.

As soon as the BETA version came out, I started comparing. I got the following. Not big schemes the old version counted. But when I took a bigger circuit with six IGBT transistors, the new program performed much better. I didn't have to struggle with bad convergence.
************************************************** ******************************

OscillatorQuadrature.asc 278.2
Just to show how much faster a newer generation computer is, I ran your OscillatorQuadrature.asc on LTSpice XVII
It took 91.9 seconds on a i5 Alder Lake CPU with W11 and Nvidia GTX1650 graphics.
Going to change to a i5 Raptor Lake, which should even give another significant improvement for large Spice models.

Hans

P.S. I'm quite happy with LTSpice XVII and don't understand why they turned the whole filesystem upside down.
For the time being I see no benefit in going to version 17.

That is what it seems to do.

Its in the 'all apps' on the start menu and also its searchable.

I installed it on Windows 10 in a virtual machine as it got me curious, and it seems to have it's own executable "updater.exe". The file is in %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Programs\ADI\LTspice and is ran with /checknow switch.
I tried to run it under Wine but I get an error. But it might be due to my setup. I'll try to see if I can make it work at some point.
If I run the tool from LTSpice - Tools - Update components it works fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131_211611.png
    Screenshot_20230131_211611.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 50