Installing the new 2023 version of LTspice

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've placed the Icons for the file locations on the Windows Start Menu, it just makes it all so much easier to navigate.

Icons Start Menu.jpg

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Seams to be quite abit slower than the last version.
I ran a 5 step transient analysis to compare speed. With all control panel settings checked and exactly the same.
New version 93 second old version 78 seconds

With no new features I don't see the point in upgrading

Reactions: 1 user
As soon as the BETA version came out, I started comparing. I got the following. Not big schemes the old version counted. But when I took a bigger circuit with six IGBT transistors, the new program performed much better. I didn't have to struggle with bad convergence.
************************************************** ******************************
LTSpice 17.0.35.0 Benchmark
LATITUDE-7480 11/19/2022 12:05:36

Name NumberOfCores NumberOfLogicalProcessors
---- ------------- -------------------------
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7600U CPU @ 2.80GHz 2 4

File ExecTime
---- --------
mux8.cir 1.1
mike2.cir 3.3
bjtff.cir 5.2
AzurAmp.asc 2.4
MonteCarlo.asc 8.1
LT3845_TA01.asc 19.4
BuckBoost.asc 13.2
SettleTime.asc 13.8
Electrometer.asc 117.9
AudioChannels16.asc 123.4
OscillatorQuadrature.asc 331.8

Total time: 639.7 seconds

************************************************** ******************************
LTSpice 17.1.5.0 Benchmark
LATITUDE-7480 11/19/2022 13:05:02

Name NumberOfCores NumberOfLogicalProcessors
---- ------------- -------------------------
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7600U CPU @ 2.80GHz 2 4

File ExecTime
---- --------
mux8.cir 1.5
mike2.cir 3.5
bjtff.cir 4.2
AzurAmp.asc 2.5
MonteCarlo.asc 26.8
LT3845_TA01.asc 10.6
BuckBoost.asc 12.3
SettleTime.asc 20.6
Electrometer.asc 83.6
AudioChannels16.asc 70.2
OscillatorQuadrature.asc 278.2

Total time: 514.1 seconds

Attachments

• LTSpiceBenchmarkEricSims.zip
    55.9 KB · Views: 83
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This is from 3 months ago in the earlier stages of the beta programme. Currently the latest version is 7.1.5

One of the big advantages for me is that the installation is now in a non indexed location which massively speeds up restores of the operating system using disk imaging. The index does not have to rebuilt and for it to reindex all these small files... something that most disk restores will automatically do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

LTspice 17.1 is a significant upgrade to LTspice XVII, including new features and numerous performance and stability enhancements:
  • Transient Frequency Domain Analysis. LTspice 17.1 includes a new frequency response analyzer component and associate .fra spice directive.
  • Frequency domain analysis has been reduced to a single component and directive, greatly simplifying the generation of Bode plots for non-linear circuits, including switched mode power supplies
  • Both loop gain and output impedance are supported by this feature
  • Improved Installation. LTspice library files are stored in users’ %LOCALAPPDATA% directories, instead of My Documents
  • Waveform Viewer. Faster plotting speed for large datasets
  • Keyboard Shortcuts. Keyboard shortcuts can be saved to and loaded from text files
  • Schematic Capture. Numerous schematic editor bugs have been eradicated
  • Simulator Operation
  • Fixed a number of convergence problems
  • Updated initial conditions behavior and documentation to match behavior
  • Reduced multi-threaded CPU loading

We, the LTspice development team we are very interested over your feedback.

LTspice 17.1 for MacOS still in development.

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Have they moved the UI into the current century or is it still stuck in 1990s Solaris mode?

The simulator in LTspice IV is great, but the schematic editor makes me seriously question my life choices. Having to memorize random function keys for fundamental things like drawing a wire drives me mad.

Having to edit the registry to install the software... C'mon. /rant

Tom

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You can leave the existing version in place if you wish Tom.

I wanted a clean sweep when installing the new version as I couldn't see much point in having both installed and in any case, like the new version or not it is something we are going to have to get used to :eek:

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Have they moved the UI into the current century or is it still stuck in 1990s Solaris mode?

The simulator in LTspice IV is great, but the schematic editor makes me seriously question my life choices. Having to memorize random function keys for fundamental things like drawing a wire drives me mad.

Having to edit the registry to install the software... C'mon. /rant

Tom

I was going to say exactly this.

Man, the engine is awesome, but the hoops you gotta jump through to use it!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes there is an uninstaller. See step #2 in the first post.

Using that still leaves a lot of traces of the old install in the registry (as is common with pretty much any uninstall routine). It is up to you how far you want to go to get a totally clean install of the new version.

Hi Guys !! :)
Just poppin in to let you know that I have the new LTSpice 17.1.3 running under WINE in new a install of Kubuntu 20.04...........

I'll be settin' up 22.04 shortly ( again ! :headbash: ), while I'm waiting for the new stuff to come out again. :)
Not having a great time with 22.04, t looks nice and all but it needs some much ironing still ! ;)

No issues yet as far as the install goes, as I have yet to sit down and start creating some projects in it.
As far as do I know...............
The .asc's I do have seem to run just fine.

The only issue I have is since I switched to 2x 4K monitors all of the fonts ,icons, and most everything is smaller and very hard to read (see pic) . :/
Hopefully that can be fixed later. ;)
Else all is Great So Far !!! :D

Cheers !!! ;)
:cheers:
jer :)

Attachments

• LtSpice17.1.3 in WINE.png
    LtSpice17.1.3 in WINE.png
    785.9 KB · Views: 127