Installing and using LTspice IV (now including LTXVII), From beginner to advanced

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If you can come up with a viable equivalent 'circuit' of the driver then it can be made into a symbol that can be called up whenever needed.

For example this (and creating the circuit for a speaker impedance was beyond my paygrade before you ask :))

See also post #2272
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...from-beginner-to-advanced.260627/post-6320675

Screenshot 2023-08-21 062009.png

To this:

Screenshot 2023-08-21 062208.png

Hi Mooly,

thank you for your help.
If you can come up with a viable equivalent 'circuit' of the driver then it can be made into a symbol that can be called up whenever needed.
Yes, I know that.
For example this (and creating the circuit for a speaker impedance was beyond my paygrade before you ask :))
Ha, ha, this is replacing one problem - from data to an equivalent impedance with another - from data to equivalent circuit, both of which I do not know how to do.

Kindest regards,

M

Not sure what your problem is. The 3 methods for using 3rd party bjt models that I use are:
1. Use .op to add ".lib D:\SPICE\lib\Cordell-Models.txt" to the schematic that points to the 2SC5200 model,
including files on the web like ".lib http://www.minek.com/lib/minek.lib". You have to change "NPN" on the schematic to "2SC5200".
2. Use .op to add ".mod NPN 2SC5200 ....." to the schematic. You have to change "NPN" on the schematic to "2SC5200".
3. Add ".mod NPN 2SC5200 ..." to the "standard.bjt" file. This is the only method that makes 2SC5200 available in the select new part list.
I've decided that #3 is rarely a good idea. Only add parts that you use often, your favorite parts. I made the mistake of importing a huge list of BJTs and the result is that finding parts I actually use in that huge list is a PITA. If fact, you may want to remove parts from LTC that you are not interested in. I make backups, but I also have lots of 3rd party libraries. If you want to use an uncommon part, it's best to put the model definition on the schematic so that extra files are not required.

I've just updated from v17.0.x to v17.1. LTspice library filesl are now in user's %LOCALAPPDATA% directories instead of My Documents.

Naturally, some of my old sims won't run becasuse models can't be found. Times like this I wonder why I can't resist updating! Fortunately, v17.0 will still run alongside v17.1.

What's the best way to get all my component models from the old My Documents location to my %LOCALAPPDATA% directory? Copy and skip files that already exist there?

Attachments

• 1694834983393.png
    1694834983393.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 59
Pspice model from the TI website:

https://www.ti.com/product/OPA1632#design-development

You can of course auto-generate a symbol from within LTspice but I took a stab at creating one similar to the symbol in the "Application Diagram" on page 1 of the datasheet. I verified the symbol's pin order against the SPICE model. You will need to rename the symbol file to OPA1632.asy.

Caveat: I haven't tested this myself.

Attachments

• OPA1632.asy.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: 1 user
When I install LT Spice. For windows 7. Notice that there are two standard.bjt files.
Which one do I update. Which one can be deleted. Ok I think the idea is a user can only edit his own copy. And the one in the program directory can only be modified by a user with admin rights. Still confusing. Will try both.
1695996482252.png

Last edited:
Question: is there a way to force a curve to use the right Y-axis instead of the left one?
I have a combined graph with unequal axis ranges and I want to move one curve to the right to give it it's own axis range.

Jan
Forcing axis is a bit of a pain in general.

What I sometimes do, is use some extra sources who will set the max and min.
They do nothing more or less than that.

I assume you could do something similar with right axis as well.

Question: is there a way to force a curve to use the right Y-axis instead of the left one?
I have a combined graph with unequal axis ranges and I want to move one curve to the right to give it it's own axis range.

Jan
In LTspice IV, vertical axes are grouped by the unit of the displayed quantity... which you can modify by multipying with "unity unit modifiers".
1696961529334.png

The multiple axes don't indicate which curves they're associated with, which makes more than two axes impractical.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well it's not just the numers. Traditionally the right axis is phase. I want it to show current ...
Probably not possible unless I insert a current-to-phase converter ;-)

Jan
In LTspice IV, vertical axes are grouped by the unit of the displayed quantity... which you can modify by multipying with "unity unit modifiers".

The multiple axes don't indicate which curves they're associated with, which makes more than two axes impractical.
Brilliant! And elegant. Who wrote that program again? :cool:

Except that it doesn't work here. It has no effect at all.
And how do you get a curve to 'move' to the right axis?

Jan