Inexpensive preamp kit on Ebay

Good idea.
You have the schematics at the first link of post #36.

Also take a look at this.
Isn't it pretty ?

Patrick

Attachments

• WeiLiang JC2.png
    WeiLiang JC2.png
    591.4 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Let`s have a look at making our own PCB since it isn`t available. The parts are and I would like to make some improvements.

Chris & i are already working on a proper schematic drawing. My second all SS circuit drawing, i am figuring some stuf fout (like how to represent the LSK). I can fumble my way round a tube circuit but i have yet to get asolid handle on SS.

Once we have it buttone dup i’ll post it so others can start thinking about it.

dave

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Patrick,
Thank you very much. You have good hunting skills.

The fact does remain, the kit has excellent performance in a measured sense, and it sounds better than many very expensive preamps. I'm sure the original circuit does as well.

Hi Rick,
I'm afraid I don't know how to use any spice program. I generally build something after designing the board, then adjust values to obtain the desired performance. Then it is real and not a predicted outcome. Luckily for me, when I design something it generally works on that layout even if I have to adjust component values.

If you would forgive me for hijacking.

This was originally meant to be a portable headphone amp with Sziklai output.
It does 0.0015% H2, and 0.0035% H3 at 0.57Vrms into 32R at gain = 10 with only 25mA bias, which is ridiculously good.

For another project, I took out the Sziklai and just used the output emitter follower as a line amp.
JFET input, all active devices available readily at Mouser / DK, very low current consumption (<10mA).
No loop negative feedback. DC stable to +/-1mV without servo.

Just to show you what can be achieved without resorting to unobtaniums.

Cheers,
Patrick

Attachments

• ZGF REW gen 0,57Vrms 10mW 32,5ohm 25mA bias.png
    ZGF REW gen 0,57Vrms 10mW 32,5ohm 25mA bias.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 237
  • 210601 ZGF20 Line Stage Public.JPG
    210601 ZGF20 Line Stage Public.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 237
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Patrick,
No problem. We are talking about an alternative to that kit. All the parts are available and also easily substituted.

I would suggest that using increased bias current to optimize the distortion performance would be reasonable, removing low current draw from the design requirements.

How does everyone feel about a surface mount version? All the current devices that are good seem to be in this format.

-Chris