I'm building a $4000 speaker kit ... Which one?

That helps. Now define what aspect of sound quality you want to improve. Don’t focus on high sensitivity this or beryllium tweeter that. Those things aren’t important. More important are: desired SPL and bandwidth, directivity characteristic (something like those Kappalites) and maybe other wishes like size or appearance.

A side note: room acoustics is by no means simple. But relatively simple measures can bring huge improvements. Your room really IS a school bus? Like 40ft long, 8 feet wide and 7 feet high?
Size or appearance do not matter. I can make them look good. My goals are very strong Dynamics and jump Factor. That realism that prodrivers brings you. A kick in the chest. Basically what music really sounds like. Yet I want this without the typical PA sound. I understand there are a handful of drivers that can give you this. And I've chosen a few of them above.
Please let me say this s different way ... I want the dynamics and benefits a Forte IV or Cornwall brings ... without their flaws when compared to say Statements or Testarossas.

And no. My sound room is not a school bus. I have three active systems. One is in the huge room overlooking the ocean in my girlfriend's house. Another is in my own living room. And a third is in the school bus, Workshop. One is in my own living room in my home. I have a simple pair of two ways in the three car garage. And I have a system in the end of my wood Workshop which is a school bus

Last edited:
These speakers remind me of "classic cars". They probably perform well but it's about showing off your skills such as they are, and performance will never match a modern professional product. I can't believe the price people pay for such "classic" designs, but perhaps that's one of the bragging points. A carburetor can not compete with direct injection and a passive crossover can not compete with a DSP and tri-amp+. I think at $1K you have hit the limit of diminishing returns. But maybe you can't pay too much for status symbols?
I sold high-end home stereo HiFi in a suit and tie Only Store for a dozen years in the late 80s and all the way until the year 2000. I've seen a lot of conventional box design speaker sound better than some of the crap some of the fancy manufacturers have put out today. I'm not as obsessed as the younger generation about fancy shaped baffles.
If we really have to go "here", I saw a pair of towers with literal 3" roundovers that obliterates ANY faceted design for diffraction. YMMV

So why you want at all DIY speakers and so expensive, instead of commercial product? There are tons of good speakers in this price range like Sonus Faber Cremona, used b&w 800 series, Elac, Selah audio, Dal sound and other.small manufacturers.
Because I sold hifi for 12 years ... and I have seen the $10,000 speakers with $1100 in parts in their MDF cabinets.
For the few who do make their own components, they are WAY too expensive for what I can match, with far less funds in DIY.

Another thought...

Dynamics are still extremely possible even with lower sensitivity designs- you just need the extra power on tap to make them do it.

I'll never forget going from a 100W/ch receiver to the Crown amps. It is unreal how much line you can feed and still not clip out the amps.

Later,
Wolf
You KNOW I trust you, Wolf! Yet I cant imagine using Crown amplifiers with a hifi speaker capable of telling on upstream gear as easily as the Ardent.

OSMBoxes run about $2,500 USD in parts if you price shop, fully 1/3 of the cost is the Volt mid-driver. Custom waveguide for the Scanspeak tweeter. Add plywood and skills to the cost—and whatever look you want to the exterior whilst preserving the inner volume. Crossovers are up to 4 order per driver, mostly Mundorf items (non-fancy preferred), and external works of art unto themselves, plus being external they leave options open for playing about with other external crossovers like the Pass ACN. There's a member building a tower version for greater bass extension... mine have loads of bass as is. Super cool project—way more satisfying than a kit, IMO. Sounds like you have the hardest part licked—which is the ability to build nice box.

Yes. But this is why I will not spend for a manufacturer's product. I don't want to pay
for their secretaries, mistresses, advertising, overhead, travel expenses, etc etc

You do that for every other product that you buy, like food, clothes, cars, houses, etc.
Why not support those who make the types of products that are especially important to you?
The same profit margin is in quality speakers as in quality electronics. Otherwise their
business model would not work.

Last edited:
You KNOW I trust you, Wolf! Yet I cant imagine using Crown amplifiers with a hifi speaker capable of telling on upstream gear as easily as the Ardent.

I am using an Anthem AVM-30 balanced into Crown XLS1500 amplifiers as my main system. It's amazing how good my Attitudes sound in this setup!

That said- the Macrotech 3600 and 5000 models are the best sounding amps I've come across. Clean and BALLSY.

Wolf

You do that for every other product that you buy, like food, clothes, cars, houses, etc.
Why not support those who make the types of products that are especially important to you?
The same profit margin is in quality speakers as in quality electronics. Otherwise their
business model would not work.

I supported the Hi-Fi business for 30 years. At one time I had over a hundred thousand dollars in cables for my system alone. I have supported them all I care to. Do you think they offer me a discount now that I'm disabled and old? I will get my value out of DIY. That's why this is the DIY forum. I will let Young people with active careers purchase highly marked up items, and let them support the mainstream.

Sounds fair, but the cable thing was probably a bit of overkill.

I do think you have a lot of options for your situation, but large, elaborate speakers
may very well not be necessary, or even your best option. Of course, only you can decide.
I can tell you that it is a really, really bad idea to buy any (repeat, any) kind of speakers without
having heard them first, no matter how much praise they may have had, and from whom.

Last edited:
If you have to buy speakers unheard (diy or otherwise), you should be ready and willing
to unload them, rather than listen to something you are not happy with. Life's too short.

Oh, you manufactured the cables, so you got them for 80% off. Still a lot of money.

Did you ever heard the original Quad 57 ESLs? If so, what did you think about those?
(This is a test.)

Last edited:
I did hear them when I was about a year into my audio journey. Klipsch Chorus ll were something I was lusting for. Luxman integrated amplifiers. California Labs CD player. I didn't know enough to judge things properly yet. I was only 18. But I remember them sounding kind of holographic in a weird way. When I worked selling hi-fi in 1995, the owner of the business had a huge pair of speakers with the same basic technology. It was in a perfectly designed and set up room, and everything in it was beyond high end. It was the best down I've ever heard Still. I will try to research and remember what the speakers were, but that may be difficult. It sure has been a long time.

No. I didn't manufacture anything. I put on a suit and tie and went to work from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. Although in reality I was usually there by 8 a.m., and left around midnight. I played and listened non-stop for a dozen years. I ordered in every name brand at every price point you could imagine on demo to listen to. They shipped it at their price and shipped it back. The high-end Industry was that lucrative.

But I do not mind telling you that the tables were 60% off retail for me. I could feel by a nice newer Corvette with what I spent on those cables.

I sold high end audio in a store in a filthy rich area.

Last edited: