If you had $50,000 and had to spend it on speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 1970s scene was nothing but peace and goodwill from the Beatles to Pink Floyd and led to the ending of the war in Vietnam.

No, it wasn't. Any further discussion will lead to breaking forum rules.

If I had 50k to spend on speakers I'd give back one half so they change the rules of doing with this funds as one pleases. You can bet your world of speakers I would not spend on speakers.:D

Last edited:
Harbeth Monitor 40.2's probally, wich is about 18K down here, and i'll put the rest of the money in my DIY budget to build speakers.

Tannoy Westminster's are also very nice (but coloured), but they need a big hall to shine, not a listening room of normal sizes

I would buy myself time off of work so that I could sit and build the speakers I wanted for about $1-2k in parts. And also kit out my workshop with a cnc machine. And maybe buy a new house with space for a workshop to fit it.

Wait—do we *only* get $50k to spend on this? I don’t think it will be enough...
Now that's an idea. I wonder how many pair of different "high-end" drivers one could get for $50,000. Gotta hold back so I can buy amps (exactly one per driver!) and active-analog/DSP-based crossover hardware.

Maybe I could make the next "Infinity Reference Standard."

We laugh at the obvious rip-offs. If you had a dedicated listening room and by decree had to spend 50,000 to 100,000$ on new speakers (new only) what would you buy?

Seems hard for people to answer a short hypothetical question without going off topic and on tangents..

As the question by the OP is worded this is my take -- It's already a dedicated listening room, so room treatments could already be in place by default, and I will read it that way for myself. It also would seem someone or more has decreed that I must spend 50-100K$ on new speakers. (not room treatments etc etc etc etc. )

It doesn't state that I can only purchase 1 pair of new speakers for between 50 and 100K$, so with that in mind I'd get myself a pair of JBL 4367 speakers. Then a pair of the best new offering from Klipsch, Tannoy, and DSL. Plus some Subs. Probably IB and from AE. Maybe 10 of them spread out in different locations within the already dedicated room. That should get well into the 50K and above range . This would be fun and offer many different flavors. What I don't like I could sell and try another set of speakers from another brand perhaps etc. The JBL's really interest me.. Fun to dream :)

JBL 4367 Studio Monitor Loudspeaker Review - HomeTheaterHifi.com

Last edited:
Seems hard for people to answer a short hypothetical question without going off topic and on tangents..

So true. Seems like the consensus is: homie don’t play that
But some played along... I was trying to get to the question that the Hifi industry seems to be asking is, which one would you buy? Nothing else just which one new set of speakers would you buy? Going to axponia it seems that that’s the price range of statement speakers.

Funny looking back at my post I said I was going to build a class a amp and get a turn table and finish building my speakers. Just the tweeter boxes to go but everything else has changed in just a year.... No turn table.

I heard about Rel no. 25 - 6 pack of subs for 50k + price range that’s supposed to be pretty life changing I might switch to that as my answer.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
+1, and the old quad amps made for the ESL63 will be enough for me !

Anyway the most expensive in our hobby and in the order are

- Wife
- Time
- Room
- CD library
- Speakers
- Age of the hifi hobbyst to reach this targett before becoming deaf...

You seriously need to budget it and plan it young !

Last edited:
hummm, not the most confortable way, sorry to read that. So the 50 000 are extra for you to go the venues...

Thanks sir, I do miss her, she loved music as much as me.

Indeed, and I do. Quite bluntly, I'm tone deaf and do not try to sing, but I absolutely love listening to music - live preferably in smallish venues for jazz, blues, contemporary - but otherwise in concert halls. Do not enjoy large (10 000+ humans) concerts. I have a few friends who gig on the side, and try go to their stuff as often as possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.