If you had $50,000 and had to spend it on speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I'm gonna play, and it has to be around $50k, I would get the MBL 101-X minus the bass units. I wouldn't hook them up, I'd just sit and stare at them. :)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2018-05-04 at 10.25.46 PM.png
    Screen shot 2018-05-04 at 10.25.46 PM.png
    429 KB · Views: 492
Good link. He takes a few liberties with some of what he says but the fundamental arguments remain valid. Also, the build quality of the Schitt products I've seen is somewhat rudimentary (questionable solder joints, sloppy flux residues), so his company's products certainly aren't the nadir he implies they are; they are quite clearly cutting price to the bone, with compromises.

Nor do I see much in the way of simple copying of the manufacturer's sample designs, at least beyond the Mid-Fi category, and as any DIY'er knows, or should know, layout is important. Finally there is something to be said for pride of ownership, that requires a minimum of attention to appearance and "feel" of switchgear and the like, which should be commensurate with MSRP, but certainly doesn't require jewel-like machining and it's associated costs.

But certainly a good read none the less. Even if you reject everything or most everything he says (which isn't my opinion), it never hurts to be reminded that you must keep a perspective.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I would make sure that they are 100% solid gold. Then once the idiot judge is gone I would melt them down and turn them into $50,000 worth of prepping gear and a cheap caravan or cheap RV or a cheap bus and convert it into a motorhome.

Last edited:
I would make sure that they are 100% solid gold. Then once the idiot judge is gone I would melt them down and turn them into $50,000 worth of prepping gear and a cheap caravan or cheap RV or a cheap bus and convert it into a motorhome.

Cause ya'll know this world is like rome if people can afford $50k speakers.

I don't know, I know a guy, no high school diploma, blue-collar job, makes $15K a month. I know many people who make six figures in blue-collar jobs. Of the four police officers I know (the city publishes every employee renumeration above $50K annually) they each make over $100K in salary.

And wives with jobs to boot; a green nurse out of college starts at $85K and 25% of the nurses in my Health Region make over 100K. Any of those people, if they really wanted, could afford $50K speakers in a one-time purchase.

This isn't doctors and lawyers we're talking about.

Going to the bottom end of the wage scale, college kids spend $1200 a year on their phone plans. That doesn't buy you $50K speakers, but it does buy five figure ones.

Obviously the real question is should they, but the money is there.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Going to the bottom end of the wage scale, college kids spend $1200 a year on their phone plans. That doesn't buy you $50K speakers, but it does buy five figure ones.

Obviously the real question is should they, but the money is there.

Its not should they. Its they are and they are polluting the planet grossly in the process and they are unstoppable. You cannot tell anyone anymore to stop being so exuberant and wasteful.

No other modern human right on this planet is more defended and protected than the right to spend the money that you have on whatever you want and the sky is the limit, that is to say that there is no limit.

For example nobody needs a modern car but people continue to buy new modern cars.

Drive into any small town today and you will see a sea of cars going both in and out of town, bumper to bumper traffic everywhere, daily crashes, no parking anywhere.

If you want to define the collapse of a society by how many car parks there are left then we have already reached that point and surpassed it. There are no car parks left anywhere during any part of the week.

If you want to define the collapse of society by the amount of exuberant overspending going on then look no further than the massive amounts of money spent on our chariots.

If you want to define the collapse of society by the sustainability of any or all of this behavior then have no fear, it won't last for much longer, but that is the part which I have biggest trouble with deciding on when or if it will end or collapse.

All I know for sure is that I don't know how this insanely high levels of consumerism manages to sustain itself and I know why I have a massive anxiety disorder, its because of all of this behavior going on.

The conclusions to these logical questions is that:
#1 it is unstoppable, stopping anyone from spending or buying something new is impossible.
#2 it is unsustainable.
#3 The end result is disaster and a massive anxiety problem for me and that really ticks me off.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.