If you had $50,000 and had to spend it on speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does it have to be commercial, off-the-shelf or custom-made-for-me? I'd rather buy good drivers from the usual suspects (Parts Express, Madisound, maybe some directly from the manufacturer(s)), stop by the lumber yard, and build my own speakers - repeat until I'm out of money. It may not sound quite as good, but I'd get more satisfaction.

I might even want to make my own drivers.

We laugh at the obvious rip-offs. If you had a dedicated listening room and by decree had to spend 50,000 to 100,000$ on new speakers (new only) what would you buy?

The system would be surround with an option for stereo from the fronts.

I'd buy pieces and get things custom made. Active xovers. Professional grade drivers since SPL's would be expected to be there. The speakers would be part of a system, not just "speakers". You'd have to pay attention to amps, preamp, and software for DSP. Room treatment would be a must to keep the sound from bleeding to other areas.

Grant.

50K and I *have to* spend it on speakers? No idea what I would buy, but chances are there'd be money left over that I would just say goodbye to. Maybe something expensive in the minimonitor category, some good stands, probably two very good powered subwoofers. I think I would have a hard time using up more than $20K under those criteria. Oh, wait! Lunatic Fringe cables, I only need five feet a side. Maybe $30K then. Not that I feel the need for such wire, but when it's "free money" I wouldn't mind putting somebody's kids thru college.

I think the criteria is you have to spend all 50K.

I already have all speakers I'll ever need
Spot on thinking, my brother.
with fraction of that greens , I would go to visit Big Cal and hear his speakers (as if speakers are important at all in visits)
Of course they are important. Without them, we would not know one another. The visit is the icing on that cake.
then visit few brothers across the border
Maybe we can do this together. I have a comfy vehicle and a gas card. Give me a week's notice.
Cheers ZM.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The system would be surround with an option for stereo from the fronts.

I'd buy pieces and get things custom made. Active xovers. Professional grade drivers since SPL's would be expected to be there. The speakers would be part of a system, not just "speakers". You'd have to pay attention to amps, preamp, and software for DSP. Room treatment would be a must to keep the sound from bleeding to other areas.

Grant.

:) :cool:

Buy the JBL M2 system and then do the room. But listen in near-field as much as possible.

THx-RNMarsh

I'd locate the most promising designer(s) on DIYA who are not making hardcore commercial work, interview several of them and support the one interesting vision worthy growing into a speaker I wanted to own (and speaker they want to sell or share somehow.) For sanity, I would find another member of DIYA who's aesthetic I agreed with to act as a consultant regarding feasibility and rationality of the design course being undertaken by my new acoustics partner.

Give a call for MR. Linkwitz and ask him to design the speaker spesifically for you @50k

Dont forget to make a plate - pure 24k gold - "One and Only : Designed by MR. Linkwitz"

Sadly there's another thread discussing that he's moved to hospice.

If I could bill the travel auditioning various speakers in a wide range of international locales that I want to visit regardless, then maybe I could get up to that $$. Or equipment "needed" in a VERY well stocked workshop to build my own speakers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If one is spending $50k on speakers, the rest of the system would need as much love. So you are up to at least $200k or so. And a room to put them in. The room can make huge difference.

Since i got into diy commercial loudspeakers have had limited appeal. The last ones that caught my attention were the Sonas Faber Ellipsa. But i heard some at about half that price that i was not very impressed with. I have heard the big Tannoy, a big sound but quite coloured.

dave

Man, it was just a bit of fun... I read the manifesto, second audio manifesto I've read in two months... I like the diy audio manifesto a lot more, a lot less complaining, more inspiring and less sales pitchy. But I get it, greed and inflation is disheartening... That's why I'm here. No way am I going to spend 50,000+ on speakers or 17,000 alone on cnc aluminum. But people are so they keep making more and more of it.

I went to axpona last month. I've been away from hifi for 15+ years and seeing the speakers offered was a bit of a shock. Almost everything was stratosphere money. I know most of the rooms were the worst place, aside from a bathroom, to listen to a system but I just didn't hear what equaled the asking price in most of the rooms. The rooms were hit or miss... I might go for 15a Martin Logans simply because they sounded great and I don't want to try to build my own. At $25,000 the ML 15a seems logical. It was the 6+1 two ways for 22,000 that had me scratching my head. But I really heard some great analog front ends. I thought by now digital would crush it but nope not even close.

So here's my order of build/ buy: finish speakers (3.5 way) build 25w class A amp and piece together a turntable. long way to go but I'm enjoying the ride...

thanks to the brave ones who played the game.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
L'Acoustics Kara or the larger d&b Vi8, with subs at least 4 a side for popular music. You will need a large room! Probably over budget.
Excellent choices! And most people here won't even know what they are. And yes, easy to go way over budget. In the same world, maybe some Danley SH-50s would be a more reasonable choice for budget and size. Or in the realm of Hi-Fi I'd go straight for whatever Focal would fit the budget.

But since this is DIY, I'd just build my own. You could build a nice set of speakers for $50K.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.